Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW! ATX20 Lithium-Ion Battery 780 CCA

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 06:45 PM
Smogbob
Road Captain
Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
That's just ridiculously small.

I tried a ballistic lithium about 6 years ago in a BMW R1200R I had, and didn't like it. You had to "warm it up" i.e. Put a load on it for 5 or so seconds for it to get to full power. Otherwise you'de get a stalled starter on the first turn. Second try and it would start. Cold weather was more of a problem. Definitely had to warm it up. Didn't like it.

The technology has evolved a lot. There are several ppl here using them. I haven't heard any negatives yet. I thought about it when I was struggling with the hard starting before HD fixed the ACR issue on my S, but now I don't need it anymore.
Lets hope the technology has evolved and I aint wasted a weeks holiday of cash.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:48 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Smogbob
Lets hope the technology has evolved and I aint wasted a weeks holiday of cash.
Oh it definitely has. That "wake up" was on the early ones.

The following users liked this post:
Smogbob (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 07:47 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Make sure you get the Lithium Iron and not the Lithium Ion. Two different types. the Life does not have the fire/heat problems that the lipo does.

I had an Antigravity. Lasted a year and moved it over to my yamaha. Now run a Shorai. They are the leaders in Lithium irons. Been a year with no issues. Aint cheap but I can ship it via air so works out same price as a lead acid in my country.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:51 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I think all the Antigrav batts are LiFePO. I am curious who makes the cells for them and Shorai. A123, maybe?

Old 07-13-2017, 08:35 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Did a little digging and found this:

I've heard of a lightweight Prismatic lifepo4 lithium Battery, and Cylindrical LIfepo4 Lithium Battery what does Antigravity use and why?

There are two types of Lifepo4 style of battery cell formats.... Cylindric and Prismatic. Cylindric is a small cylindrical shaped cell with a metal exterior and Prismatic is a wide flat rectangle wrapped in a foil type covering. We use a Cylindric Cell made by A123 Systems which being blunt is the most tested, reliable, durable and POWERFUL Lifepo4 battery cell made. A123 Systems is the originator of this type of Nano-technology cell and no company has yet to produce an equivalent level of performance that this cell offers. They offer far more cranking amps than the Prismatic or Lead/Acid batteries in relation to size. While the A123 is the most powerful it does not have the amp hours of the Prismatic form of Lifepo4. But at Antigravity we are not interested in high Amp Hours for starting and riding performance vehicles. The objective is to have great starting performance first and foremost using the lightest and smallest battery possible. Being honest we have yet to have Amp Hours play any part in our daily riding experience on motorcycles... yet we have ALL had issues with batteries that won't turn over the bike because they did not have the power. As an example of the power of the Antigravity Battery.... A Prismatic Lifepo 7 amp hour battery puts out 102 Cold Cranking Amps... An Antigravity 5 Amp Hour battery (the 4600 model) has less 2 less Amp hours but puts out 240 CCA which is twice the Cold Cranking Amps of the Prismatic Battery...Yet The Antigravity is still smaller in every direction than the Prismatic Lifepo4 battery. In comparison to lead the Antigravity is actually less than half the size of the lead acid battery yet puts out significantly more Cranking Amps than the lead battery. This tiny Antigravity Battery that has 240CCA will turn over 1200cc sportbikes...

Additionally with the Cylindrical form of the battery we can make something like the 16cell Antigravity 9200 that is only 4 inches square, has 480 Cranking Amps yet weighs 3 pounds and turns over 135 cubic inch S&S V twin motors using the biggest starter possible. That is pure power and we can take that a step further at 600 Cold Cranking Amps if you want it built that way... So this is why we go with the Cylindric Style battery. We want pure power over Amp Hours in our application for starting vehicles, and we want to use the best cell with a world-renowned reputation that allows us to build to suit.

Can this battery explode? I've heard of Lithium exploding.

No, this type of Lithium Iron Phosphate battery does not explode like some Lithium Ion batteries used for Laptop computers or cell phones (Lipo Batteries). Lifepo4 is one of safest most stable Lithium batteries available. It is actually considered a "green" battery. It can be discharged then disposed of with no ill effects to the environment like lead or other lithiums.

Can this battery overheat?

In general and even hard use the battery will not get hot....But the battery can get hot if you attempt to start the bike many times in a row and hold the starter button on for long periods in an attempt to start the bike. These batteries are extremely powerful and expel high cranking amps, which can generate heat... Typical normal use is a couple start attempts in 5-6 second range. You should not be holding the starter button down for 7-10 seconds long repeatedly... that can get the battery hot not to mention damage your starter motor...But if you find yourself continually cranking over the bike multiple times in a row for many seconds you should give the battery a 4 minute rest. The battery is not meant as a cure for hard starting bikes.

Does this battery require maintenance or trickle charging?

No, the battery is Maintenance Free... it will not need a trickle charge if you are riding your motorcycle even once every couple months. This battery charges fine off your stock motorcycle charging system. IF your bikes charging system is in good working order and you do not have any "parasitic drains" on the bike you should not have to charge this battery ever. SLA (Lead/Acid) has a very fast natural discharge rate and that is why they need to be kept on a trickle charger. Our batteries do not have this effect.

How do I charge the battery?

The Antigravity Battery comes fully charged and ready to install, you should not be having to charge these batteries at all unless you had a long lay off, accidentally discharged the battery, or are running a total-loss system.. We do offer a specific "smart" battery charger that is optimized for charging Lifepo4 Lithium batteries. We have a 4-amp and an 8-amp charger. They have over charge and polarity protection built in. It will charge the battery to it intended peak voltage and will shut off when the battery is charged. In a circumstance where you do need to charge the battery after a long lay off you can use any 3-stage "smart charger" for autos. The smart charger will monitor the battery and not over charge it. Though they are not optimized for charging lithium they will do fine to get you going and charged. Do not use a charger with a Desulfinate feature. Additionally, in a case where you need a quick charge you can attach the AntiGravity Battery to your car battery (while the car is running!) and charge it for 20 minutes to get you going again
Source: https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...soWwzPeNJIVJEQ

Last edited by cggorman; 07-13-2017 at 08:43 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by cggorman:
JayStronghawk (07-19-2017), Kirk57 (08-07-2017), Smogbob (07-14-2017), tgmotoman (10-19-2019)
Old 07-14-2017, 02:58 AM
Smogbob
Road Captain

Well I got exactly the same battery coming as in my post, so it is a beast, I suppose at the end of the day, if it cranks over my engine more quickly, and keeps its charge as stated, it will be money well spent for peace of mind, thanks all for chiming in and it was really helpful.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:02 PM
Smogbob
Road Captain

Well glad I actually ordered a new battery, probably my cranking problems where coming from my battery, damn thing is only 18 months old, when checking the fallaway the headlight on my Fatbob was on, and it took about 45 minutes to do the job, well the battery was fully charged, showing 13.5v and after 45 minutes it was dead and down to 7.5v.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Well glad I actually ordered a new battery, probably my cranking problems where coming from my battery, damn thing is only 18 months old, when checking the fallaway the headlight on my Fatbob was on, and it took about 45 minutes to do the job, well the battery was fully charged, showing 13.5v and after 45 minutes it was dead and down to 7.5v.
Well now.... 45 min of headlight on time is ridiculously long. Any battery will be likely dead after that. Plus if the headlights were on, the ignition was energized as well as your other lights, so you were pulling probably 10+ amps. Not a great measurement I think.

Last edited by Mchad; 07-14-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Smogbob (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Smogbob
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mchad
Well now.... 45 min of headlight on time is ridiculously long. Any battery will be likely dead after that. Plus if the headlights were on, the ignition was energized as well as your other lights, so you were pulling probably 10+ amps. Not a great measurement I think.
Yep you are correct on all points ignition was at on position, and one of my two headlights was on all the time, I think I need to learn a little more about battery life.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:59 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Yep you are correct on all points ignition was at on position, and one of my two headlights was on all the time, I think I need to learn a little more about battery life.
I'm not suggesting your battery wasn't already in bad shape, just saying I wouldn't expect any battery to survive that!

Smogbob (07-14-2017)

Quick Reply: NEW! ATX20 Lithium-Ion Battery 780 CCA