Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW! ATX20 Lithium-Ion Battery 780 CCA

Old 07-19-2017, 04:51 PM
Smogbob
Road Captain
Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Damn one thing I forgot to post was a picture of the battery I removed, and also a really good article about Lithium and AGM batterys.

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...um-ion-vs-agm/

Old 07-20-2017, 09:08 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Good post. Good info. Thanks.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:55 PM
Smogbob
Road Captain

Just a little update, battery been in a week now and has not dropped below 13.4v and fires the bike up like a rocket everytime at first start, I hope this goes on for a few years, as given the price.

The following users liked this post:
5500 (07-25-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 01:55 PM
Krash26
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

And that's without putting on the trickle charge? If I don't put mine on a trickle charge after a day of riding, and then try to start it up a couple of days later, it has a hard time turning over. I figure if I left it for a week without the trickle charge, it wouldn't start.
Why is that? This is battery that's about 2 1/2 years old now, and purchased from the dealer. Shouldn't the bike start on its own after a few days? Don't have any real electrical extras on my SB too.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:52 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Smogbob
Just a little update, battery been in a week now and has not dropped below 13.4v and fires the bike up like a rocket everytime at first start, I hope this goes on for a few years, as given the price.
What did you pay for it? I will be looking to swap my current lead-acid and might go LiFePo.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:36 PM
Smogbob
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Krash26
And that's without putting on the trickle charge? If I don't put mine on a trickle charge after a day of riding, and then try to start it up a couple of days later, it has a hard time turning over. I figure if I left it for a week without the trickle charge, it wouldn't start.
Why is that? This is battery that's about 2 1/2 years old now, and purchased from the dealer. Shouldn't the bike start on its own after a few days? Don't have any real electrical extras on my SB too.
That was exactly the problem I had that is why I changed to this Lithium battery, at the moment I am thrilled to bits, hope it lasts and price in USA is 399 dollars but it is the 720 Ca, the new one in the UK is 780 ca but costs a lot more 468 uk pounds, but I reckon the 720 ca will be simmilar to mine, just a little less powerful and way cheaper.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:54 AM
Krash26
Tourer

Still doing some reading on Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries and so far, the whole motorcycle community is split on these or Lead Acid. Makes it hard to decide what to replace this battery with, but I'm tired of putting it on the trickle charge every day. Want to travel but can't with the AGM battery the way its working now. Go for a couple of weeks without doing the trickle charge thing and it won't start, guaranteed.
So, I need to figure what to replace the battery with...maybe the other thing that effects this Harley battery, is the low CCA. Would a lead acid battery with higher CCA be the way to go?

Old 07-31-2017, 11:11 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

More cranking amps won't help your storage drain unless it's also accompanied by greater capacity (Ah rating).

Lead acid has relatively poor internal resistance. They lose charge just sitting. Lithium stores much better.

A low capacity lead acid battery with an external parasitic draw (ie, security system) is a bad recipe for a vehicle that sees a lot of short hops and/or frequent "storage".

My dead simple 99 can go all winter on the stock lead acid battery and start just fine in the spring without ever having been on a charger. I only get one or two cranks out of it, but it's enough. The first ride (usually at least an hour) is enough to top off the battery.

The problem is all the electronics on the new bikes haven't been offset with a larger capacity battery. H-D really needs to get the at rest draw down. Adding yet more weight is stupid. Efficiency, Moco!

Old 07-31-2017, 05:53 PM
Krash26
Tourer

And because I've put a fairing on my SB with a radio and a couple of charging ports, I'm wondering if that is a problem too. The battery they sold me at the dealer was for any Dyna and they didn't know I had put this fairing on with all the added electronics. Maybe the right battery should have been the one for a SG? I don't have the antitheft alarm either.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:56 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I believe the highest capacity lead acid battery that fits the Dyna battery box is the Yuasa that Tin Cup runs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NEW! ATX20 Lithium-Ion Battery 780 CCA