Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile service cost YIKES.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 02:49 AM
tjhog
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by streetjoebob
this is always a discussion...

dealership maintenance vs. personal maintenance

just ensure any work is completed by certified harley mechanic, or if you are wrenching, use a service manual...and youtube...
AND ... be sure to keep receipts for the fluids, etc ...

Old 07-20-2017, 06:37 AM
Vinman411
Tourer

Received 105 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJack
Thats great deal. It was not offered in '17
They quit doing it after the 5th gens, or maybe it was ended in 2015 for all chevys

Old 07-20-2017, 03:00 PM
jeffr0000
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My dealer was trying to tell me the first service was gonna run $600. I bought their fluids and did it myself, but well before I came to 1000 miles I found critical fasteners backing out (like the torx-heads holding my controls on the bars), no locktight in sight on anything. So at about 400 miles I was pulling quite a fasteners, applying locktight, and re-torquing. A factory manual is pretty nice to have here.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:04 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffr0000
My dealer was trying to tell me the first service was gonna run $600. I bought their fluids and did it myself, but well before I came to 1000 miles I found critical fasteners backing out (like the torx-heads holding my controls on the bars), no locktight in sight on anything. So at about 400 miles I was pulling quite a fasteners, applying locktight, and re-torquing. A factory manual is pretty nice to have here.
ive got almost 10k on my lrs and it blows me away how often I have to tighten the same fasteners. I change all 3 fluids every 2k though cause it's quick and easy and only costs about 60 bucks so to me it's worth it. Plus I beat it like a transsexual stripper

Old 07-20-2017, 03:56 PM
Vinman411
Tourer

Received 105 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
ive got almost 10k on my lrs and it blows me away how often I have to tighten the same fasteners. I change all 3 fluids every 2k though cause it's quick and easy and only costs about 60 bucks so to me it's worth it. Plus I beat it like a transsexual stripper

Old 07-21-2017, 10:26 AM
W.P.
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I won't get into all the dirty details but I will say Appleton HD service manager sucks.
If I'm not guzzling tons of the HD koolaid & willing to walk to the service counter and lay my wallet on the counter he thinks I'm pure evil !
I should add the only reason I was talking to the unhelpful fella is due to the dreaded V-ineer code & hard starting.
Didn't realize changing my own fluids and no 1000mi. C.U. done by them would make my bike act up.

Last edited by W.P.; 07-21-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:00 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirk57
Figured this being a new Street Bob with a warranty I should get the first service done by the dealership.

So today I took my Street Bob in for the 1000 mile service. 3 hours later and a bill for $371.57 wow wee labor was $ 296.34 They said I got a free bike wash. Hmmm I don't think so. Next time they see my bike will either be a warranty repair or trade in.

They topped it off with a chrome oil filter to boot. WTF.
I didn't buy into that warranty BS....that's fricken rediculous!

Old 07-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689

Haha, sound alot like me. Could be worse.... Could have a 2 bros pipe, where you need to tighten the end cap screws every ride.....

Dont get why anyone would take these to a dealer for maintenance. Always been a superbike rider and worked on all of em myself. I kinda understand those getting dealer maintenance service by those riders. Scared of all the plastics and high tech stuff.... But a Harley!? ****.... Everything is right there.... You can buy the tools from Vatozone and fluids from HD for a fraction of the cost and be done in 30 minutes tops.... And drop the oil back off at Vatozone and be completely done in a hr.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:17 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwaymans
Haha, sound alot like me. Could be worse.... Could have a 2 bros pipe, where you need to tighten the end cap screws every ride.....

Dont get why anyone would take these to a dealer for maintenance. Always been a superbike rider and worked on all of em myself. I kinda understand those getting dealer maintenance service by those riders. Scared of all the plastics and high tech stuff.... But a Harley!? ****.... Everything is right there.... You can buy the tools from Vatozone and fluids from HD for a fraction of the cost and be done in 30 minutes tops.... And drop the oil back off at Vatozone and be completely done in a hr.
I heard about the problem of the TBR end cap screws loosening. So when I installed mine, I applied Rocksett to them and have not had any issues.

Rocksett is capable of withstanding incredibly high temps. I use it to attach suppressor mounts on firearms, which is an item that can see temps in well excess of 1000F. Blows Loctite away when it comes to high heat applications

Old 07-21-2017, 12:39 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by rbdub474
I heard about the problem of the TBR end cap screws loosening. So when I installed mine, I applied Rocksett to them and have not had any issues.

Rocksett is capable of withstanding incredibly high temps. I use it to attach suppressor mounts on firearms, which is an item that can see temps in well excess of 1000F. Blows Loctite away when it comes to high heat applications
Ill check it out. Thx.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile service cost YIKES.