Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to upgrade brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 12:01 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Ness Big Brake 15" Rotor

I've posted about it elsewhere. With EBC HH pads, works great.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:32 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,233 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by stewbeezer

Thanks for the link. Yes, I had read that thread. The OP wound up going with better pads.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:36 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

i put ebc in the back of the wide glide and its a big improvement, got some lyndal for the front to see how they go

Old 01-06-2021, 02:29 PM
CVDB
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R6 radial caliper conversion

Hi Union53 (James),

I'm preparing to do upgrade to Sumitomo or Tokico calipers in dual set up on my 2010 FXDF. Bagger brothers brackets ordered.

Now I have been checking out calipers. On used parts sites lots of R6 units available, but as shown on image added to this post, these seem ot have bushings sticking out ? How did you deal with this ? specific shims ? grind them off ? can these bushings be removed. From your image I see that some shims are used, but what about these bushings ?

2nd topic : what banjo bolts are to be used ? size on FXDF master and size on R6 calipers ?
3rd : Could do with some tips on brake line dimensions and set up; checked out a site for ordering custom brakelines... looks rather complex due to all variations possible in links etc... I'll figure it out, but still some advice is well appreciated.

4rd : what about the brake light switch, does this needs addressing when using the original master set up ?

(conversion with the gold star sumitomo's looks great, I'm thinking of going for the silver colored version to have less colors on my vivid black Fatbob.

Old 06-24-2023, 09:06 PM
painterguy39
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

This is what happens when you reply to a 4 year old dead thread

Old 06-25-2023, 05:47 AM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by CVDB
Hi Union53 (James),

I'm preparing to do upgrade to Sumitomo or Tokico calipers in dual set up on my 2010 FXDF. Bagger brothers brackets ordered.

Now I have been checking out calipers. On used parts sites lots of R6 units available, but as shown on image added to this post, these seem ot have bushings sticking out ? How did you deal with this ? specific shims ? grind them off ? can these bushings be removed. From your image I see that some shims are used, but what about these bushings ?

2nd topic : what banjo bolts are to be used ? size on FXDF master and size on R6 calipers ?
3rd : Could do with some tips on brake line dimensions and set up; checked out a site for ordering custom brakelines... looks rather complex due to all variations possible in links etc... I'll figure it out, but still some advice is well appreciated.

4rd : what about the brake light switch, does this needs addressing when using the original master set up ?

(conversion with the gold star sumitomo's looks great, I'm thinking of going for the silver colored version to have less colors on my vivid black Fatbob.
Originally Posted by painterguy39
This is what happens when you reply to a 4 year old dead thread
Ya sometimes these older threads get lost in the mix and then I am also not so good about checking back in. In the chances this issue hasn't been resolved in two years I'll answer what I can.

1) The bushings come out. They are lightly pressed in. I've seen cases where they just fall out on there own. You may need a set of pliers to pull them out. My final solution was to make spacers that the bushings inset to. Since the post I made in this thread I've moved to dual disc and used a larger diameter rotor.

2) Harley in their infinite wisdom used two different sized banjo bolts. Originally on the caliper side I just used the banjos that came with the calipers. They work just fine. On the master side I used the banjo supplied by Brembo. These two are not interchangeable. Brembo uses a finer thread pitch.

3) In the photo above I made my own brake line. I used a Goodridge line and then just figured out what bend at the end worked best for that setup. When I moved to the dual disc setup I had a custom line made by Spiegler. You can spec them out many different ways. I chose to use the type 950 fitting. When figuring out lengths I found welding wire so be superior since it bends easy but is not floppy like string.

4) Using the stock master you should not have to mess with the light switch. I had to because this is an instance Harley has a unique setup compared to everyone else. I don't remember the exact details but it comes down to a normally open vs normally closed switch. The switch supplied by Brembo is one way which works for most bikes and the switch Harley used is the opposite way which in my experience is unique to them and their canbus setup. If they did it like everyone else then the switch supplied by Brembo would have worked fine.