Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tsport front end with RT gold valves

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 12:35 PM
tsport117
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tsport front end with RT gold valves

I crashed my tsport into car turning left in front of me. I haven't seen the bike or extent of the damage yet but should see it later today. My thoughts are that the forks will be obviously wrecked and possibly the trees. If the the tree are damaged I don it believe they can be replaced aS they are obsolete.

If I replace the trees with something else I need to retain the fairing. The fairing mounts are on the tsport trees FYI. I don't know the extent of the fairing damage yet. I'm
Wondering what my options are to get an equal
To or better front suspension while retaining the fairing (if possible). It would be a shame to have to go with an aftermarket fairing.

I do like the idea of going to 49mm tubes with an ohlins cartridge kit. Would that be a better set up than what I had? The RT set up was pretty damn good in my opinion but I cant say I've ever experienced an ohlins .

Sitting here it the docs waiting room writing this on my crappy iPhone.

Thanks

Old 08-17-2017, 12:40 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Well, that sucks! I hope you're basically alright...

It's really a bummer when something rare like a Tsport suffers damage that prevents it from being "correct" again. I have an FXDX with the original fork, and am planning on a full RaceTech rebuild over the winter (valves and springs). Did you have your bike with the original setup as well as with the RT internals? If so, can you comment on the the difference after the upgrade?

Thanks, and good luck!

Old 08-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

I would say go for the 49s with Ohlins.. It's a stiffer fork.. Ohlin valves are likely better then Racetech.. The DX forks while good are really overloaded for the bike.. Not enough bearing surface, too little fork oil..

Old 08-17-2017, 03:41 PM
tsport117
Intermediate

Originally Posted by F86
Well, that sucks! I hope you're basically alright...

Did you have your bike with the original setup as well as with the RT internals? If so, can you comment on the the difference after the upgrade?

Thanks, and good luck!

It was long ago that I added the RT GV's. If memory serves then yes it was a noticeable upgrade.

Thanks for the kind words.

I just saw my bike. The fairing is destroyed. The forks and trees don't show obvious damage but until they are removed and rolled out on a table (or whatever the methods are) we won't know for sure. I'm amazed actually that the forks look as straight as they do.

I have lots of thinking to do with the rebuild. I don't want to break the bank on it either but since I have to go aftermarket for a fairing, maybe late model trees with 49's and NIX22 drop in's? Then keep the stock trees if they are still good, get new forks from the insurance company and I'll have a good Tsport front end ready to go. Not sure if late model trees will fit though? Hopefully someone can confirm if they will. Sure is tempting to get an Ohlins inverted with Bremdo calipers and the whole shabang!

Old 08-17-2017, 03:56 PM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

For suspension my recommendation would be David Behrend at Fast Bike Industry's. He can guide you with what you need without breaking the bank.
Facebook Post
http://www.fastbikeindustries.com/products.html
Feel free to PM me.

Last edited by HrdNox; 08-17-2017 at 04:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tsport117 (08-17-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 07:07 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

I had Racetech springs and emulators before upgrading to the NIX-22 cartridges. And while the racetech stuff is great, the Ohlins carts are a big upgrade. Hard to describe, just better. Better compression dampening without being harsh, rebound is great. They just handle with authoritiy, without being harsh. External adjustability is nice, though once dialed in I don't see using them very often.

Expensive, but well worth it imo.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:49 AM
tsport117
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mchad
I had Racetech springs and emulators before upgrading to the NIX-22 cartridges. And while the racetech stuff is great, the Ohlins carts are a big upgrade. Hard to describe, just better. Better compression dampening without being harsh, rebound is great. They just handle with authoritiy, without being harsh. External adjustability is nice, though once dialed in I don't see using them very often.

Expensive, but well worth it imo.
Thanks for the input Mchad. I've been following your suspension posts which got me thinking, and checking my bank account balances, lol! Since the Tsport is already a cartridge fork, I don't know how comparable it is to the emulators? Probably is comparable.

I'm non commital until I'm sure about all the ins and out of a 39mm to 49mm conversion. Or stay with a 39mm fork and add NIX22's. I'll update the thread when I know more.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:34 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by tsport117
Thanks for the input Mchad. I've been following your suspension posts which got me thinking, and checking my bank account balances, lol! Since the Tsport is already a cartridge fork, I don't know how comparable it is to the emulators? Probably is comparable.

I'm non commital until I'm sure about all the ins and out of a 39mm to 49mm conversion. Or stay with a 39mm fork and add NIX22's. I'll update the thread when I know more.
Cool. But I don't think the NIX22's work on 39mm tubes though. At least I thought I read that in a post by Howard Messner. But I could be wrong?

Old 08-19-2017, 09:49 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Ohlins offers a 39mm NIX22 (FKS206), but probably won't work for his application.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:52 PM
tsport117
Intermediate

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Ohlins offers a 39mm NIX22 (FKS206), but probably won't work for his application.
I suspect you're right as the sliders are different.