Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sheared my rear pulley bolts off today

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 02:45 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,234 Likes on 3,613 Posts

Even if you had used new bolts, there is a good chance that that they would have some loose since the wheels were powder coated. If the any of the mating surfaces between the hub, pulley or bolt heads have PC on them they need to be machined back to metal. Failing to do so will allow the bolt to come loose..

You really don't need to check the torque on the bolts simply give them a good tug with a wrench.. I typically check when servicing. If you find them loose, proceed to disassemble and clean, inspect and re-torque with red LT.. If you like to replace the bolts as others recommend, go for it..

On wheels where the bolts snapped, chances are the holes are wallered out and the pulley / hub need replacing.

The following users liked this post:
Greezey Rider (06-14-2019)
Old 09-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,234 Likes on 3,613 Posts

Originally Posted by bhaxton
Lessons from my old car racing days would make me want to install studs. Has anyone tried this? Does someone make purpose built stud kit? You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I don't get out much. Maybe I'm just too redneck to understand.

after installing studs, has anyone considered drilling the hub and wheel to install an alignment pin? The pin would take up most of the torque allowing the bolts to do their job of holding the pulley to the hub.
The right bolts will have an threaded section that fits through the pulley and into the hub that acts like a pin. The holes in hubs have the threads inset to allow for the un-threaded part of the bolt. Also the hub is relieved between the holes on most late hubs so location for a pin. You could use hollow dowels on the pulley bolt holes tho.

Greezey Rider (06-14-2019)
Old 09-04-2017, 05:23 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts
Yamaharley (08-07-2019)
Old 09-04-2017, 05:36 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,907 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Not a bad idea, but you should extend the mark to the pulley too. The bolt and washer could turn as a unit.

The following 2 users liked this post by RANGER73:
Campy Roadie (09-04-2017), Uncle Larry (09-06-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:41 AM
izhd
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I have new lock plate from Hardcase

for sale

Old 09-05-2017, 10:56 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I was checking the size of the pulley bolts in the microfische last night for another reason and noticed they are specified with a lockpatch. That pre-applied locking compound is very likely the reason for the bolt replacement procedure in the servoce manual. I would bet good money that the bolts are perfectly fine for multiple reuse as long as there is fresh threadlocker applied for each use.

The following 2 users liked this post by cggorman:
Greezey Rider (06-14-2019), Toeslider (10-27-2019)
Old 09-05-2017, 11:03 AM
jjminch
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The witness marks are a good idea. I'll definitely do that going forward.

I should have worded my earlier post better when I said visually. I did check for snugness about 1500 miles ago when I swapped shocks. But I didn't use a torque wrench and certainly didn't back them out to check for loctite.

Im waiting on a thin 36mm wrench as I can't get my socket on the axle nut. The wheel is completely trashed though.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:09 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I suppose it's way too much to ask that insurance or warranty will cover this not-insignificant damage....

There is probably minor damage to the inside of the swingarm and belt guard, too. Probably just cosmetic, but somewhere fpr rust to take a foothold if not addressed.

Chemical threadlocker is single-use anyway. If you loosen the affected bolt(s) at all, it should be reapplied. Ideally, the threads should also be chased...

Last edited by cggorman; 09-05-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:37 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Pulley Bolts

The problem with the pulley bolts is not that they will back out of the holes, but they have been known to shear off in the holes also. So it is not just a loktite problem.
Do a search for the sheared bolts thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...rear-axle.html

Old 09-05-2017, 11:54 AM
jjminch
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dyna rider
The problem with the pulley bolts is not that they will back out of the holes, but they have been known to shear off in the holes also. So it is not just a loktite problem.
Do a search for the sheared bolts thread.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...rear-axle.html
Hmm. Didn't realize it was this common.

I'm debating doing a 30t/70t swap or going to a chain drive. Chains don't bother me as I still have a sportbike in the garage.

The belt has some small nicks in it and probably should be changed after this. I'm short on time for wrenching but I figure I should consider a gearing change if I'm re-buying everything.

Unlike most I have a 45 min commute on a 70-80mph hwy in Texas. While the gearing is too tall stock, I'm not sure if a 30/70 will be too much.

Quick Reply: Sheared my rear pulley bolts off today