Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are people going to continue making thug/club style bikes with the new softails?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:43 PM
VoiceofReason44
Road Master
Received 277 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaKid94
To be honest, I'm no longer a fan of the "club/thug" label. Sure, that is where the style has originated from, but I think you might as well call them SOA bikes if you're going to call them that. I like the term purpose built - my bike was modified from stock to fit my needs - a quick, comfortable bike that can navigate through traffic (splitting lanes) on my way to work every day, while being able to hit the twisties on the weekend and hold up to the daily abuse that I put it through. It fits my needs, my purposes - purpose built.

Will this style - whatever you want to call it - go away? No, I don't think it ever will. I do think the fad has come - and will go away some day, but there is always going to be people that set their bikes up this way. It may become less and less popular, potentially even moving over to the performance bagger scene, but it will never go away. I'll be the first to say I'm not the biggest fan of how the new bikes look but I am definitely looking forward to seeing what the performance aftermarket can do with these bikes to improve on what is already (supposedly, I haven't ridden one) a better platform.
I agree completely. I don't like the "club/thug" mo****r either. You build your bike to fit you and how you ride. I ride the same as Dynakid; splitting lanes, comfort and banging out twisties. Without question, the new "dynas/softtails" will be built with this style.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:05 AM
JoshFXDL
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I still don't understand why people think bolting a cheesey looking $50 ebay fairing on their brand new $15K bike is cool. I guess these are the same people with a SoA cut sitting in their closet.

I also don't understand why people on this forum think that bolting some accessories on a new bike is a "build"...if you didn't have to powdercoat the frame and pound your tins, you didn't build ****.

The following users liked this post:
sandman20 (09-22-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:22 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Guess it's lucky nobody here is seeking your approval. You like your bike, I like mine, they like theirs.

The following 3 users liked this post by cggorman:
Carl '69 (11-11-2017), DynaKid94 (09-20-2017), Greezey Rider (10-03-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:37 AM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 586 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshFXDL
I still don't understand why people think bolting a cheesey looking $50 ebay fairing on their brand new $15K bike is cool. I guess these are the same people with a SoA cut sitting in their closet.

I also don't understand why people on this forum think that bolting some accessories on a new bike is a "build"...if you didn't have to powdercoat the frame and pound your tins, you didn't build ****.
I don't get why people love a gigantic piece of clear plastic on the front of their bikes - if you want a windshield, get a car.

See? I can make stupid arguments too...while we're at it, let's argue the semantics of the word "build." If a kid takes pre-existing legos and pieces something together, is that considered "building" something? You could argue that is what we all do to our bikes. Most of us, if not all, are not claiming to be Jesse James or Indian Larry, I didn't weld the frame together, shape the tins, assemble the bike, etc - Harley did that. I took an existing platform and built upon it to make the base bike better, something that fits my needs.

Also, the SoA argument - what people go for when they have no other argument against the style. It's tired, played out, time to come up with something else. No Jax vest in my closet - you're more than welcome to come check...then you can ride my bike and see what all the hype is about...

I'll say it again, being so concerned with what other people do to the bike that THEY paid for, is beyond me. If you want to build/piece together/slap all the kuryakn chrome chotchkies on a bike, do it to yours and stop worrying about what other people do...

Last edited by DynaKid94; 09-20-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:41 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Guess it's lucky nobody here is seeking your approval. You like your bike, I like mine, they like theirs.
This is the bottom line. Still funny though. In response to the thread,Harley better hope so. I can also see another moco filling the Dyna gap. We'll see.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:26 AM
JoshFXDL
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I don't get why people love a gigantic piece of clear plastic on the front of their bikes - if you want a windshield, get a car.
Exactly why I went with the quick release screen, it's ugly as sin but at least it comes off in 5 seconds...it is nice for when all those PNW bugs are out and about and I don't want to wear a full face and want to save the front of my bike from a bugagedeon.

I'll say it again, being so concerned with what other people do to the bike that THEY paid for, is beyond me. If you want to build/piece together/slap all the kuryakn chrome chotchkies on a bike, do it to yours and stop worrying about what other people do...
Isn't this the whole point of posting on a forum, just sayin? Definition of a forum..."a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."

Old 09-22-2017, 11:39 AM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts

"Yesterday I took ALOT of **** from a lot of simple minded ********. I'm a "sell out" and fake because I gave my actual opinion on a bike. This new platform IS your new dyna. Get used to it and ****ing ride. We did this in 3 ****ing hours. ���� HD for mother ****ing LIFE. I support who supports me..."

I don't support jerks with potty mouths so I guess I don't support you. And the guy with the flag of Buttsmania for his avatar? Please take your rants to the Softail place or switch to decaf or something. Jeeez, what a butt swipe...

Here's the 2018 Harley "club" scooter...

Old 09-22-2017, 11:55 AM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 586 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshFXDL
Isn't this the whole point of posting on a forum, just sayin? Definition of a forum..."a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."
We're doing that right now, doesn't say anywhere you have to like said ideas or views...

The following users liked this post:
bjewell (09-23-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 10:48 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

rusty is still at it
not sure why the brow has appeared
View this post on Instagram

Last edited by cvaria; 09-30-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:52 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Something awkward there. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Quick Reply: Are people going to continue making thug/club style bikes with the new softails?