Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   The elusive Neutral (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1198352-the-elusive-neutral.html)

donmontalvo 09-14-2017 11:21 AM

The elusive Neutral

Lots of threads on the Neutral issue, where shifting from 1st to Neutral at a light (to prevent hand cramps), is a c**p shoot. :)

What's the consensus, is this something Harley Davidson is aware of and can fix?

Or is it to be expected on a 2017 Street Bob?

Figured I'd start a new thread to get fresh input before deciding whether to take it to the shop.

#askingForAFriend

nevil 09-14-2017 11:59 AM

There may be a lot of threads with riders having trouble with finding neutral, but I don't believe it's really that widespread. It may seem like a lot, but compare those complaints to the overall number of riders that never have that issue and I don't think it's a thing the MOCO has to address.
Judging by the threads. the most common fix is to adjust the clutch and cable correctly.
If the bike is new to the rider it just may be a case of getting accustomed to how the trans works.
Your bike is under warranty so if you don't want to try adjusting the clutch yourself you may want to take it in.

TinCupChalice 09-14-2017 12:05 PM

The number one reason for difficulty finding neutral is dragging clutch plates, sounds like the problem is you're due for a clutch pack and cable freeplay adjustment. It's a simple job to do and one HD owners should become famaliar with. Always do the adjustments with the bike cold.

If you don't have the service manual there are videos that will help you see the process...

DivineDark 09-14-2017 12:06 PM

I'm riding a 2015 FXDLS and have no issues finding neutral. I had some issues when I first bought it, but that was because the toe of my boot was super stiff and I had no way to feel the neutral notch. Changed boots and made things much easier. I know that is silly, but that was the fix for an idiot like me. It doesn't feel any more elusive than any of the other 15 bikes I've owned.

Nickd2689 09-14-2017 02:04 PM

Did your friend install forward controls without replacing the shift arm behind the primary? Other than what others have said, that's the only other reason I can think of.

jricharc 09-14-2017 03:23 PM

^^^ This, I swapped to forwards but kept the shift arm and finding neutral is tricky to say the least. On the plus side it feels like I have a short shifter when I go through the gears.

OddJack 09-14-2017 04:51 PM

I have a 2017 SB and dont have that issue. Actually recently I can tell it's on N w/o looking at the light. I have to add once in a while I have to try more than once to find the N, but that's hardly considered a fault.

OddJack 09-14-2017 04:55 PM

Where did the OP say he installed FC? I guess I missed it somewhere

SCovelli 09-14-2017 04:55 PM

It becomes easier on newer bikes after a primary service (along with all the other oils) and complete clutch adjustment. Formula + in the primary and transmission.

streetjoebob 09-14-2017 07:29 PM

if you are having trouble going from 1 to N or 2 to N, all you have to do is this...

Burp the throttle SLIGHTLY, and immediately move the shift into N

i guarantee this will work. i've adjusted my clutch a million times, as well as, my shift lever, and nothing was working.

someone told me to try the above method, and i have never had an issue finding N since...

this is on a 14 street bob with mid controls.