Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who tours on their dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 09:42 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria

i know you took a picture when you got there. Share. .. what did you find?

About what I was expecting; a pipeline and some wet muddy road

Old 09-21-2017, 11:01 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by DivineDark
I've got a LRS and my dad is wanting me to travel to Idaho this spring to meet them for the last leg of their trip. I'm a bit apprehensive. I have a Bassani exhaust that I'm sure would kill me over several hundred miles. I've also got drag bars and very little wind protection. I'm sure I could make it, but I don't know what shape I'd be in when I got home.
Piece of cake. Ear plugs will always make your ride more comfortable, with or without loud pipes. Depending on where you're going in Idaho it could be as little as 350 miles to get the the Idaho border, but assuming it's further in let's say 650 mies (one way). You can easily do that in two days.....maybe sooner depending on how many miles a day you do. Taking backroads at a slower pace will help with wind blast.

My nephew and I did a ride to New Orleans last fall. I did 3200 miles round trip, and he did 2400 miles. I left from CT and met him in Pittsburgh so his ride was shorter. We averaged about 400 miles a day. He rode his Sportster with a crappy seat and no windshield, and I rode my Softail Custom with a better seat and no windshield. On our last leg of the trip heading back to Pittsburgh we did over 500 miles that day. We did mostly backroads and from time to time we hopped on the interstate to make up some time or to get through some boring areas. Rough guess, we did 70% backroads and 30% interstate for the entire trip.

Your ride to Idaho is totally doable on a Dyna without breaking your back. Go enjoy some time with your dad. Even if you get a little beat up the adventure will make it all worth while.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 09-21-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:05 AM
DivineDark
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JekyllnHyde
Piece of cake. Ear plugs will always make your ride more comfortable, with or without loud pipes. Depending on where you're going in Idaho it could be as little as 350 miles to get the the Idaho border, but assuming it's further in let's say 650 mies (one way). You can easily do that in two days.....maybe sooner depending on how many miles a day you do. Taking backroads at a slower pace will help with wind blast.

My nephew and I did a ride to New Orleans last fall. I did 3200 miles round trip, and he did 2400 miles. I left from CT and met him in Pittsburgh so his ride was shorter. We averaged about 400 miles a day. He rode his Sportster with a crappy seat and no windshield, and I rode my Softail Custom with a better seat and no windshield. On our last leg of the trip heading back to Pittsburgh we did over 500 miles that day. We did mostly backroads and from time to time we hopped on the interstate to make up some time or to get through some boring areas. Rough guess, we did 70% backroads and 30% interstate for the entire trip.

Your ride to Idaho is totally doable on a Dyna without breaking your back. Go enjoy some time with your dad. Even if you get a little beat up the adventure will make it all worth while.
Thanks man. That's awesome. I'd like to find some nice saddle bags and maybe a sissy bar and Lucky Dave's seat. That way I can put some decent storage on the bike.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:16 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by DivineDark
I've got a LRS and my dad is wanting me to travel to Idaho this spring to meet them for the last leg of their trip. I'm a bit apprehensive. I have a Bassani exhaust that I'm sure would kill me over several hundred miles. I've also got drag bars and very little wind protection. I'm sure I could make it, but I don't know what shape I'd be in when I got home.

My nephew and I did a ride to New Orleans last fall. I did 3200 miles round trip, and he did 2400 miles. I left from CT and met him in Pittsburgh so his ride was shorter. We averaged about 400 miles a day. He rode his Sportster with a crappy seat and no windshield, and I rode my Softail Custom with a better seat and no windshield. On our last leg of the trip heading back to Pittsburgh we did over 500 miles that day. We did mostly backroads and from time to time we hopped on the interstate to make up some time or get through some boring areas. Rough guess, we did 70% backroads and 30% interstate for the entire trip.

I even rode my sport bike 900 miles (450 a day) from NC to CT. Now that was a bit more difficult but keep in mind I'm 54 years old.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 09-21-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:45 PM
crtman21
Road Captain
Received 228 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by VoiceofReason44
My brother an I both have 2017 FXDLS. We just rode down the San Diego and then back up the 1 and then back home to the Sierra Nevadas. T-Sport fairing and leatherpros t sport bags. Swapped out my seat for a touring seat. All good.

I've got pretty much the same set-up as @VoiceofReason44 does. LP t-sport bags are the S**T. They expand to hold so much stuff. I highly recommend.

I've done 3 long trips, 1000+ miles from Yosemite area to Malibu, up Hwy 1 to Santa Cruz and home. 2000+ miles to Vegas, Utah, Colorado and back home. and 1500+ miles (700 in one day) to Portland, OR and back.

All 1 week long trips on '15 FXDB with Corbin seat, HD 1/4 fairing, 12" MXTbars. Added highway pegs for the most recent trip to Oregon. Huge difference. I frequently ride 200+ mile day rides with no problems.

@DivineDark.... Do it. You won't regret it.

Last edited by crtman21; 10-06-2017 at 11:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VoiceofReason44 (10-07-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 07:22 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I've done a 3000+ mile trip on my LR-S this summer. Bike was stock except for the grips and I put a luggage rack to put a backpack on. Stock seat.

I road 500+ miles a day, didn't notice any discomfort till about 400 miles, and even then it wasn't much. Spent 14 hours on the bike a couple days (ie Yellowstone at 20mph). Road non-stop for 9 straight days.

If I had to do it again I'd put a painters stirring stick or something in the back of my boot as resting the back of my leg on the pegs was a nice change in how you felt on the seat (but after days of doing this off and on you do get a little sore on the back of your leg). Also don't do this if you have ANY turning to do, your boot immediately scraps.

Cruise control was the best thing.

No problems with the wind. Always wore ear plugs. Found my grip changed in the process and I also steer a bit different now than I did before. I did find I think I'd like a seat slightly more back but took a long time to see this. Didn't get a new seat before because I didn't want to break it in on a Grand Tour.

Brother did it on an 08' 1200c Sportster with a stock seat. No problems either.

I never would have considered the trip on my FZ1, and that's a sport tourer. Thing put me in a lot more pain for longer trips. Ergonomics with my size I think.

Just outside Yellowstone.

Stop before you feel you need to. Look around. Remember you're looking to have fun and if you only ever stop to look at what you know, that's all you'll ever discover.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:21 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Back when I had my Low Rider me and my wife took it everywhere. We just loaded it up and went. Here's us down in Florida on the way from Richmond Va. to the Keys. Dynas are very capable motorcycles.

Attached Thumbnails Who tours on their dyna?-561370d1501791993-how-much-weight-can-a-dyna-carry-bama4089.jpg  
Old 10-22-2017, 04:02 AM
rossWG
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I bought my wide glide earlier this year. It was the first bike I had been on for 35 years

6 weeks later, I rode from Scotland to Spain and back via the Normandy beaches for the D-Day landings anniversary. It was quite poignant, being a British guy on a US bike visiting to those sites.

I would like to custom my bike more, and some of these threads have been very inspiring as I copy the ideas of others. However, I bought the bike to ride/tour, (8000 miles from 5 months riding) and I do not want to jeopardise that capability. I have a heated customised Corbin seat for my height and my ol’ back, which has given me 8 seated hours a day comfortably. Also, the leatherpro’s detachable bags which are very good. (those guys are the best for patience and assistance). The wide glide setup attracted me, more than just wanting to own a HD. It’s a kind of a jack of all trades bike for me. I can have single seat cruising mode, or touring with the bags, plus an option to have a pillion with the additional seat and sissy bar.

Next year I have booked up ferries and hotels to ride from Scotland to Hamburg for the Harley days, then down to Prague for the anniversary event 2 weeks later. Ex-military, I like visiting WWII sites, so it won’t be a straight route and on the way back I will try to pick up the some of the ‘Band of Brothers’ route in reverse from Bavaria through Bastogne.

In 2019, I want to ship the wide glide to the US, and do a 3-4 months ride, north east to California route via Sturgis from an idea copied from a Bike touring site.

If I do that above, I feel it will be have worth the cost and loss of some of my pension.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:11 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by rossWG

Next year I have booked up ferries and hotels to ride from Scotland to Hamburg for the Harley days, then down to Prague for the anniversary event 2 weeks later. Ex-military, I like visiting WWII sites, so it won’t be a straight route and on the way back I will try to pick up the some of the ‘Band of Brothers’ route in reverse from Bavaria through Bastogne.
:-) See you in Prague!

Old 10-22-2017, 06:24 AM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

I've never been on a multi-day ride but planning one for this spring. I have most of the setup ready for the bike except a detach windshield and some kind of throttle lock that is easier and safer to use than the stock little ****.

Quick Reply: Who tours on their dyna?