Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing a 110” Big Bore Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 02:20 PM
2011 FXDB
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Choosing a 110” Big Bore Kit

I am researching big bore kits and looking for some guidance. I have a 2011 Street Bob with about 20K miles and am looking to increase power. I ride two up much of the time and am more interested in the low end power than high rpm. I started with the intent of getting cams, but have decided that I might as well add some displacement at the same time.

At first I was looking at 106/107 Kits and then saw that FM and S&S have 110” kits… and assuming that bigger is better am leaning this way unless there is a downside to this that I am not considering. In trying to compare the fuelmoto and S&S kits I notice the S&S has some additional components not included in the FM kit. It appears S&S has a Cam Plate and Oil Pump in their kit. While I am interested in any opinions or insight regarding the two choices I am considering, the specific inquiry is if these two additional items are appropriate to be part of the project or not?

I have big sucker AC, road rage exhaust, and SERT currently. Expecting to upgrade the clutch. Anything else I should be planning on?

I’m considering getting power vision with the included auto tune feature... figured it was logistically simpler and not significantly more money than a dyno tune. Any opinions on going PV or staying with SERT?

Link to Fuel Moto 110" Kit

Link to S&S 110" Kit

Thanks in advance for any helpful guidance or suggestions!

- Dan

Old 02-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Have you considered the screamin eagle 110 tire shredder kit? At 2600 dollars that's what I'd go with since it includes se ported heads. Either way I would highly suggest Powervision as that is what I use and I love it, especially the autotune basic. If I decide the tune isn't good enough, I will pay a reputable dyno tuner as opposed to spending another 450 on autotune pro/target tune kits. Something else to consider is your spoked wheels. They won't handle that kind of torque very long. I ended up trading my street bob in for a lowrider s just because it already had the 110 (now it's a 117), everything I wanted blacked out came blacked out, and it came with really cool lookin wheels (except the color, I powdercoated mine black). I personally, prefer to stick with HD parts/kits but that's just me. S&s and all them make great kits, but I like knowing that if I ever have a problem, I can go right back to the dealer, instead of tearing everything down and hoping they will warranty it. I left my clutch alone for my 117, as I was under the 135 hp/tq rating. However I will probably install the heavy duty clutch spring next time I'm in the primary. So far it runs fine without it though.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

This is a link to the tire shredder kit. You can get either stage 4 or 5 depending on what you want. Two guys I know have this kit and it is insane. I rode a street glide with it and all I can say is wow. If you search "my install of se 117 kit" you'll find my 117 build. I took pics of every step I took to install it. It is exactly what you would be doing on yours if you do this kit, just with 110 Pistons/cylinders, and you would be replacing your heads instead of re using them. Hope this helps.

http://mstore.harley-davidson.com/store/screamin-eagle-110ci-stage-v-tire-shredder-kit

Old 02-14-2017, 06:11 AM
2011 FXDB
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
Have you considered the screamin eagle 110 tire shredder kit? ....
Thank you very much for your insight and suggestions.... had assumed that since factory warranty and EPA compliance were not my priorities that other options would top the list of choices.... but yes, this is certainly something to consider...

Anyone else with feedback for me?

- Dan

Old 02-15-2017, 09:33 PM
bl_dg
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Looking at doing something similar. Options so far are:

FM basic 110 kit - $1,000
S&S basic 110 kit - $1,100
FM 'Big Bore' kit - $1,700
SE 'Street' kit - $2,200
S&S 'Power' kit - $2,550

Both "basic" kits are about equal.
The 'Big Bore' and 'Power' kits both add cams, lifters, push-rods, etc, but I just can't see the extra $800 for the S&S.
The SE 'Street' kit add cams, lifters and heads. (!)

I already have cams, so I'm leaning towards the FM 'basic' kit and port/polish stock heads.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:41 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Old 11-22-2017, 07:18 PM
arkie1
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan I was just reading your post. Just wondered did you ever move on these two options? I have a 96'' StreetGlide and I'm right where this post ended,wrestling over Fuel Moto vs S&S Just wondered what you chose and are you happy ? Thanks,Arkie

Old 11-22-2017, 07:31 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by arkie1
Dan I was just reading your post. Just wondered did you ever move on these two options? I have a 96'' StreetGlide and I'm right where this post ended,wrestling over Fuel Moto vs S&S Just wondered what you chose and are you happy ? Thanks,Arkie
+1 vote for S&S

Old 11-23-2017, 08:44 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

FM and S&S are both solid, reputable companies - kinda a personal choice. If you are a bit worried about the “how to” stuff, FM customer service is outstanding. S&S is more of a “big boy” company, customer service/advice is harder to get.

The S&S cam plate and oil pump are nice but not necessary for a 110”.

Last edited by HD Pilot; 11-23-2017 at 08:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bafflingbs (01-30-2020)
Old 11-23-2017, 02:48 PM
tach
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arkie1 when you decide which route your going, there is a really good tuner north of us in the Fayettville area. Rolling Thunder Dyno.

Quick Reply: Choosing a 110” Big Bore Kit