Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   cam install (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1207861-cam-install.html)

chiefy305 11-15-2017 11:39 PM

cam install

Hey all i searched and read lots of post but couldnt find my answer. Are there any cams i can install without changing pushrods and new lifters? just install retune and go.. thank you in advance and plz discuss
i have a 15 streetbob
andrews woods ss or se

mirrmu 11-16-2017 02:55 AM

Yes, any Bolt In would be fine

JayStronghawk 11-16-2017 04:07 AM

Just involves more work but most certainly can be done ..

24v 11-16-2017 07:42 AM

The reason people change the pushrods usually is so you don't have to pull the top of the motor apart. So, the $ you save on adjustable pushrods will be partially spent on gaskets to put it back together, as well as the extra labor of removing the tank and the rocker box covers, etc.

robbyville 11-16-2017 08:03 AM

Like they’ve said you can do it, just more work. Remember that you limit your cam choice heavily in that you must ensure same lobe circle. As an example, Andrews, lists the 57h cam as a True bolt in for 103’s, and they pretty much are but we’ve had at least a couple people on the board complain of a little more clatter which they attributed to tiny difference in lobe.

Joys of adjustable pushrods is that they can make minute changes. FYI if you get the S&S Quickee style you won’t have to remove the lifter covers since you’re not planning on replacing them. All other adjustable rods that I know of you would have to pull them.

cvaria 11-16-2017 08:21 AM

swap to adjustable and life will be easier moving forward.

long vid but, he goes over the rods and such pretty early on.

martinj 11-16-2017 09:57 AM

[QUOTE=robbyville;16832242]Like they’ve said you can do it, just more work. Remember that you limit your cam choice heavily in that you must ensure same lobe circle. As an example, Andrews, lists the 57h cam as a True bolt in for 103’s, and they pretty much are but we’ve had at least a couple people on the board complain of a little more clatter which they attributed to tiny difference in lobe.

Joys of adjustable pushrods is that they can make minute changes. FYI if you get the S&S Quickee style you won’t have to remove the lifter covers since you’re not planning on replacing them. All other adjustable rods that I know of you would have to pull them.[/QUOTE]

I assume you mean the pushrod covers rather than the lifter covers. With that said, there are a couple of options that allow this other than the Quickees. Smith Brothers/Fuel Moto's come to mind, though some say they're a pain to adjust with the stock covers. I have a set waiting for this winter, so I guess I'll find out.

robbyville 11-16-2017 10:06 AM

[QUOTE=martinj;16832526]

Originally Posted by robbyville (Post 16832242)
Like they’ve said you can do it, just more work. Remember that you limit your cam choice heavily in that you must ensure same lobe circle. As an example, Andrews, lists the 57h cam as a True bolt in for 103’s, and they pretty much are but we’ve had at least a couple people on the board complain of a little more clatter which they attributed to tiny difference in lobe.

Joys of adjustable pushrods is that they can make minute changes. FYI if you get the S&S Quickee style you won’t have to remove the lifter covers since you’re not planning on replacing them. All other adjustable rods that I know of you would have to pull them.[/QUOTE]

I assume you mean the pushrod covers rather than the lifter covers. With that said, there are a couple of options that allow this other than the Quickees. Smith Brothers/Fuel Moto's come to mind, though some say they're a pain to adjust with the stock covers. I have a set waiting for this winter, so I guess I'll find out.

Nope, sorry, I mean with the quickees you don't have to remove the lifter (tappet) covers to install the adjustable rods. Whereas with at least the SE and normal S&S adjustables, there's not enough room to slide the rods through and into PR covers and heads without removing the lifter covers.

FLASH1970 11-16-2017 10:11 AM

There are plenty of cam choices to choose from. I did my cams on a budget and didn't want to cut out my pushrods and have to get adjustables. I looked at what my stock valve springs were rated for as far as lift and went with a set of cams that didn't require a spring change. I pulled the tank, rocker box covers, rockers, and pulled the pushrods out. It wasn't that hard to do at all. Now ive been on SE204's for a couple years with stock lifters and pushrods.

martinj 11-16-2017 10:19 AM

[QUOTE=robbyville;16832551]

Originally Posted by martinj (Post 16832526)

Nope, sorry, I mean with the quickees you don't have to remove the lifter (tappet) covers to install the adjustable rods. Whereas with at least the SE and normal S&S adjustables, there's not enough room to slide the rods through and into PR covers and heads without removing the lifter covers.

Ok, I get it now. Sorry, I hadn't had my morning coffee yet....