Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 FXDL will not idle until it's warm

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 12:57 PM
rickwooldridge
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 FXDL will not idle until it's warm

I am the second owner of a (new to me) 2001 FXDL. The bike will not idle until its warm and the previous owner says it never has. The starting procedure in the manual, using the enricher, does not work and the previous owner says that the bike has “never liked to be choked”. However, turn the throttle a couple of times, hit the starter, and it will start every time…and as long as you stand there for a couple minutes ready to crack the throttle you can keep it running. After 2 or 3 minutes of babying, it will set there and idle all day at ~1,000 RPM. If you pull the enricher out even a little during the warm up period it will die. The bike is carbureted with no engine modifications and has 12,850 miles on it (hardly ridden). I took it to a local Harley shop and they “tuned it up” and rebuilt the carburetor…but it still won't idle. The mechanic says everything checks out fine and that at this point he doesn’t know what else to do. He suggests that since it’s just a couple minutes in the beginning, I just deal with it.

Anyone else had this issue?

Old 11-20-2017, 01:36 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

My 02 won't idle either after first start on a crisp morning . The enrichener is pulled out a little, maybe halfway, until its warm. About a half mile and then pushed in. A stock carb is lean as required by the EPA. Carbs can be fickle, hope you find some thing on this.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:11 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
...My 02 won't idle either after first start on a crisp morning . The enrichener is pulled out a little, maybe halfway, until its warm. About a half mile and then pushed in....
Same procedure since day 1 on my '03 FXD (80,000 miles)...a little choke and three turns on the throttle before hitting the starter button.

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 11-21-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:18 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by rickwooldridge
I am the second owner of a (new to me) 2001 FXDL. The bike will not idle until its warm and the previous owner says it never has. The starting procedure in the manual, using the enricher, does not work and the previous owner says that the bike has “never liked to be choked”. However, turn the throttle a couple of times, hit the starter, and it will start every time…and as long as you stand there for a couple minutes ready to crack the throttle you can keep it running. After 2 or 3 minutes of babying, it will set there and idle all day at ~1,000 RPM. If you pull the enricher out even a little during the warm up period it will die. The bike is carbureted with no engine modifications and has 12,850 miles on it (hardly ridden). I took it to a local Harley shop and they “tuned it up” and rebuilt the carburetor…but it still won't idle. The mechanic says everything checks out fine and that at this point he doesn’t know what else to do. He suggests that since it’s just a couple minutes in the beginning, I just deal with it.

Anyone else had this issue?
lol the mechanic doesn't know what else to do??? Tell him to figure it out since you already paid for a repair that didn't resolve the problem. Sorry but being a mechanic, these things tend to get to me. While I'm not familiar with that particular bike, I would check for a possible rich condition. Especially if the bike dies when you pull the enricher. Any smoke on startup?

Old 11-21-2017, 10:56 AM
JoshFXDL
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by VS Custom Cycles
Jet it (adjust the needle) richer and that will cause the bike to warm up faster.In a colder climate its not unusual for the bike to need a 20 second choke engaged warm up period .These bikes are jetted *EXTREMELY LEAN* from the factory to comply with the dumb EPA requirements and it's probably STILL jetted way too lean after you let an H-D dealership "adjust it" , so it's not an issue if you can find a qualified tech or shop to adjust the carburetor alot richer properly. Or Buy the Shop manual and tackle the job yourself-its a 15 minute job and we do em all the time .
+1, every single carbed bike I've ever had has been like this living up here in Washington State. Throw an intake, exhaust and stage 1 jet kit on it

Cold air is more dense which requires more fuel to mix at that good ole 13:1 ratio.

Last edited by JoshFXDL; 11-21-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:44 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by VS Custom Cycles
Jet it (adjust the needle) richer and that will cause the bike to warm up faster.In a colder climate its not unusual for the bike to need a 20 second choke engaged warm up period .These bikes are jetted *EXTREMELY LEAN* from the factory to comply with the dumb EPA requirements and it's probably STILL jetted way too lean after you let an H-D dealership "adjust it" , so it's not an issue if you can find a qualified tech or shop to adjust the carburetor alot richer properly. Or Buy the Shop manual and tackle the job yourself-its a 15 minute job and we do em all the time .

normally id agree but if it's dying with the choke pulled I wouldn't think it's a lean condition. +1 on the stage 1 and intake/exhaust though

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (11-27-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 01:42 PM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

First thing to do is put a Sporty jet needle H.D.# 27094-88 [still available at your local dealer for approx. $10] in the carb. There is a complete guide somewhere on this forum, but basically you're partially removing your carb. and drilling out a small blank cover and unscrewing the o.e.m. jet needle You refit the 'new' one, unscrew it 2 1/2 turns and away you go...b.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:15 PM
rickwooldridge
Stage IV

Nick - It only smokes if I pull out the enricher while its running or pulled out the enricher while initially turning it over....otherwise no smoke. I appreciate everyone's comments. Since pulling out the choke even a little kills it, I don't think its a lean condition as others have mentioned. Thanks All.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:02 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Assuming that the carb has had a good cleaning? Might there be trash in carb that won't allow the bike to get the fuel when using the choke?

Old 11-26-2017, 04:06 PM
GatorNade
Stage II

I recently bought a 2001 FXDL with 3,100 miles on it. It is my first bike with a carb. It seems to run fine with the enricher on for cold starts but I had a weird issue the other day where the bike would die at idle after a few minutes of riding. I had to rev it at stops just to prevent it from happening. I haven't had that same issue since.

Quick Reply: 2001 FXDL will not idle until it's warm