Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Saddlebags vs. Leather Pros

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:55 AM
NickCats
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Harley Saddlebags vs. Leather Pros

I am considering adding detachable saddlebags to my Dyna Low Rider S.

I do like the Harley leather bags ($949):

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...her-saddlebags

But I see many on here have and recommend the Leather Pros ($700):

https://leatherpros.com/retro-series...na-saddlebags/

I was hoping for some advice / recommendations as to which way to go.

( I think HDConvert511 has had both )

I really hate to add bags to this bike ( I don't want to relocate the turn signals and license plate ) but it may be a necessary evil here in Illinois.

Thoughts ?

Thanks,

Nick

Old 01-31-2018, 08:57 AM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts

I have the leather pros and really like them. Huge amount of room and I think they look great on the bike.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:01 AM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

I have a friend who has Leather Pro bags on his Sportster which he has essentially turned into a touring bike, and I've never heard him complain bout them He is also leather craftsman.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:30 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

When I was faced with a similar decision a few years ago on my Street Bob, I used a couple of factors for my decision. I didn't like that I not only had to relocate my turn signals and license plate, but also needed to add another kit for the quick detach when using the Harley bags. This may have changed now and of course either way you need to relocate (tip, check out the Great Bike Gear relocation kit).

Since I wouldn't be packing the bags full all the time, I liked that the Leather Pro Retros were expandable. The aesthetics pleased me more.

In the end I went with the Leatherpros. pricepoint and looks sold me over the HD

Old 01-31-2018, 12:40 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Harley quality on he saddlebags sucks unless they are the REAL leather ones. A lot of the synthetic fabrics they use wear out rather easily. I have the synthetic dyna bags (which looked the cleanest to me) and they are ok. However they open up (Velcro) on the highway and are starting to tear from opening and closing.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:34 PM
Hutch_FXD
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest the Leatherpros hands down. My friend has the version 1 bags and I have the version 2 and the quality is awesome.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:51 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Any version of the Leatherpros bags look good on a Dyna.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:07 PM
Relbus
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the leather pros and I don't regret it one bit. I also considered the H-D ones, but they stuck too far off the bike and I wasn't sure how the GBG plate and signal relocation would work with them, and the H-D relocation kit looks like an after thought.

I'm in IL too (SW burbs), if you'd like to meet up and check out the bags before you pull the trigger, hit me up.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:04 PM
UrbanRunner
Road Master

Received 367 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm apparently going to be the odd man out and say that I much prefer the HD bags. Although, I did go with a non-detachable version:

Bar & Shield Leather Saddlebag

Personally, I like the look of them much better than the collapsible Leatherpros.

I went with the non-detachable because I didn't want to risk someone else helping themselves to the bags and because I really didn't expect to want to be without the luxury of having them on the bike. These are the same reasons I went with rigid side plates for the sissy bar and rack.

One bag is always stuffed full of assorted stuff like rain gear, mini jumper cables, etc. The other is usually available for whatever I'm doing/going, wife's junk, or peeled off layers of cold weather gear.

I also went with the HD Layback License Plate & Turn Signal Relocation Kit.

I didn't install the reflectors on the bags because of looks but also because they require drilling holes in the bags to attach them.

Last edited by UrbanRunner; 01-31-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:55 AM
NickCats
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Relbus
I have the leather pros and I don't regret it one bit. I also considered the H-D ones, but they stuck too far off the bike and I wasn't sure how the GBG plate and signal relocation would work with them, and the H-D relocation kit looks like an after thought.

I'm in IL too (SW burbs), if you'd like to meet up and check out the bags before you pull the trigger, hit me up.
Thanks ! I will definitely take you up on your offer ( once it warms up of course ) - I think being able to see the bags on my bike in person will help me make up my mind one way or the other.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone else as well. It seems the majority prefer the Leather Pros.

Thanks again everyone,

Nick

Quick Reply: Harley Saddlebags vs. Leather Pros