Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail light and signals not working until restart

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 06:43 PM
Barz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail light and signals not working until restart

I have what seems to be a unique issue. Lately when I ride my signals and tail light stop working out of nowhere. I say it's unique because if I shut the bike off and turn it back on it will work again. It's very confusing. My bike is a daily rider it my main transportation. And am planning on a good ride at the end of March and I'd like to get this sorted asap.

Recently I installed a moonsmc integrated signal tail light .And had no issues .a few weeks later. I did a full fluid change and installed 13.5" shocks .Right after the fluid change and shock install is where this started .

Has anyone experienced this issue before? Thank I. Advance for any help.

Oh and it's an 07 FXD with a 96ci TC engine.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:46 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,208 Likes on 741 Posts

Check the tail light main harness under the rear fender. I'll bet it's chewed up from the tire rubbing in the wires. My 07 did that. The harness is supposed to be run on the right inside of the fender. Mine was mounted in the top center of the fender. Shorter shocks cause it. With some luck you can repair the wires where they are broken or insulation rubbed off. If not, HD has a replacement harness for around $65.00.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:14 PM
Barz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasScooterTrash
Check the tail light main harness under the rear fender. I'll bet it's chewed up from the tire rubbing in the wires. My 07 did that. The harness is supposed to be run on the right inside of the fender. Mine was mounted in the top center of the fender. Shorter shocks cause it. With some luck you can repair the wires where they are broken or insulation rubbed off. If not, HD has a replacement harness for around $65.00.
I'll give it a look tomorrow. I was riding tonight and was checking to see if it would do it. And it of course did .Then came back on. So it is starting to sound like wires. I was just confused before on why it seemed to work Everytime I turned the bike off the back on .But thanks for the tip. I'm definitely gonna have a look

Old 02-26-2018, 08:21 AM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Had this same problem.... Thought maybe my battery was starting to go out because I was also having some hard start issues as well. Changed battery, still very hard to start, especially when hot. Long story short, found my stock starter clutch and compensator were junk. Replaced both and haven't had the problem since...

The only thing I can think of is the hard/delayed starts and occasional kick backs were messing with the electrical system some how. Maybe this was causing a faulty electrical signal to the ecm and messing with the brake/turn signals.