Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detroit Indys and ballpark upgrade costs

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 10:20 PM
Steevo Jolly
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Detroit Indys and ballpark upgrade costs

2016 low rider s. Only performance upgrade is pipes and a tuner. I have a couple years left on my extended warranty but I want to start planning and saving for the future. Two part question.
1. Any recommendations on Detroit area indys and specifically ones that can handle full engine upgrades and overhauls.
2. What should I be looking at cost wise to go with a good 117 upgrade and all additional upgrades assuming I'm looking to improve performance to the point that I'm not risking reliability (aka not trying to build a speed demon drag bike just amp things up a bit).

Im not looking for exact figures or advice on what upgrades yet. I'm just trying to start my cash saving plan with plenty of time for it to work.

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:29 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Steevo Jolly
::: snip :::

I have a couple years left on my extended warranty but I want to start planning and saving for the future.
Sounds like you have plenty of time to research, learn, and then do all the work yourself. Why pay someone else when you can actually take care of business yourself?

Save yourself a metric ton of money; learn, and do it all yourself. Your bank account will be happier, your ego will be happier, and your man-card stays intact

jus' sayin'

Old 02-25-2018, 12:02 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Sounds like you have plenty of time to research, learn, and then do all the work yourself. Why pay someone else when you can actually take care of business yourself?

Save yourself a metric ton of money; learn, and do it all yourself. Your bank account will be happier, your ego will be happier, and your man-card stays intact

jus' sayin'

i agree 100%. If you can follow a service manual and torque specs, you can do it. I have a thread on here somewhere from when I installed my 117 on my lrs and it shows everything step by step. Try searching “my 117 install” and it should come up. Saved a lot of money.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

What city are you in? I just moved from chesterfield to Fort Gratiot area so if you need anything just let me know.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:07 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh and if you go with the se kit, I have a tune you can use til you break it in and get it dynod. It’s a power vision auto tune so you’d still want to run a few autotune sessions but that’ll at least get ya close

Old 02-25-2018, 02:32 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I'm a huge DIY supporter but I have friends I wouldn't let change my oil, let alone perform engine surgery.

Some don't have the tools or space to do a big job. (Apartment dwellers, youngins, etc.)

Others simply hate, or don't have time, to wrench.

Then there are people with physical limitations.

Just throwing it out there...

Old 02-25-2018, 04:01 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cggorman
I'm a huge DIY supporter but I have friends I wouldn't let change my oil, let alone perform engine surgery.

Some don't have the tools or space to do a big job. (Apartment dwellers, youngins, etc.)

Others simply hate, or don't have time, to wrench.

Then there are people with physical limitations.

Just throwing it out there...
i agree to a certain extent but growing up, my dad did everything, and did it right, that’s where I get my mentality from as far as “if I can pay someone to do it, I can learn how to do it” so with the exception of the limitations you just mentioned, I always encourage others to try cause it’s absolutely amazing what you can do when you try.

There was a time when I couldn’t do an oil change lol nobody’s born knowing all of it.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:54 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Absolutely! My dad and mom were the same. My sister and I turned out just like them.

Unfortunately, I was only able to pass that on to one of my two kids. The other boy has absolutely zero interest in DIY of any kind. Trying to force it on him when he was little was just a lesson in frustration for us both. He's much happier opening his wallet.

Different strokes.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:13 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cggorman
Absolutely! My dad and mom were the same. My sister and I turned out just like them.

Unfortunately, I was only able to pass that on to one of my two kids. The other boy has absolutely zero interest in DIY of any kind. Trying to force it on him when he was little was just a lesson in frustration for us both. He's much happier opening his wallet.

Different strokes.
thats very true. My dad never pushed it on me, but we never had money for anything. But I always thought it was awesome that my dad could do things all my friends dads couldn’t. If it wasn’t for that I don’t know if I would have become a mechanic. Truly hope it rubs off on my kids.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:59 PM
Steevo Jolly
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
What city are you in? I just moved from chesterfield to Fort Gratiot area so if you need anything just let me know.
I'm in Grosse Pointe now. Hit me up if your ever looking to ride. I don't have many riding friends and am always down.

I agree I should do the work myself. I'm completely capable just a little nervous as I've never been into an engine that far. Hell if I can disassemble and repair a 500k$ CNC I can do my own engine work.

Still interested in a good Detroit area Indy for dyno purposes and what not if anyone has a suggestion.

Quick Reply: Detroit Indys and ballpark upgrade costs