Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner Primary Bearing Recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Psycho
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Inner Primary Bearing Recall

ORIGINAL: mudpuddle

ORIGINAL: Cynic
Thanks WS6
The same info and pic is on page 6-6in the first issue 99481-06 too.I haven't had a need for my manual yet, but found errors and omissions in the first scan through. Now I can't wait tillI get into my primary to see if that hole is covered orif it can be massaged for increased oil flow. Like you, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that's been the problem with toasted bearings all along.
The pic of that bearing in the manual shows a very beefy looking 13 roller, roller bearing. With proper lubrication it looks like itshould be a very reliable high mileage item.
Here's two pix. One has the INA #.

First picture is the bearing I extracted from my motor a few months back at 8000 miles.
It was fine, and my peace of mind is better after hearing of a lot of failures.

Second picture is one that Psycho posted a few months back.
Obviously it is way bad. If I remember correctly,
he said the retainer was positioned properly.
I very well may be wrong on that.

Cynic, I believe I have heard that the caged rollers are superior to a full complement
when used in this type of application.
I think the theory was explained to me, but I don't remember. True??

mud

Mud,

Second picture was indeed mine, and my retainer was positioned properly. When I bought the replacement bearing it was the same part number with no revisions. At this point, best I can figure is a bad batch of bearings. Who really knows though. It seems to be hit or miss. Some make it many miles with no troubles, while others fail early on.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:32 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My 1st bearing went out at 7k,, I was on the first road trip with my FXDBI.. I was in Springfield Mo. Got treated very good from Denneys Harley and was soon on my way back to Houston.. Not to long ago I was In Wichita Ks. 2nd bearing went,, 13k this time.
Alefs Harley in Wichita got me back on the road in one day,,Great guys.... Now back in Houston, just a couple thousandmiles later,, And I hear it startin up again...( I've learned the sound by now),, If you all are right and it was just a bad batch of bearings, I'm sure gettin my share....

Old 06-23-2007, 01:25 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

I wonder if it could just be not prelubing at assembly, since you would have to get the bike going a bit before the primary assembly starts flinging lube into (I assume) a cavity above the bearing that drains into the bearing.If thebearing had no lube at first it could cause the initial failure.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Cynic
Road Captain

When I get a chance I'll be looking to cross reference that bearing to one of a higher specfrom a different manufacturer. I know that won't help anyone having theirs done at the dealer, but given some 07 owners are reporting failure too, something sure as **** is rotten in Denmark and I don't want to be part of the experiment.

Sabotage is way out there and unlikely, but if you bought a 98 Chevy truck like I did built just before the strike! Some of the stuff done/not done to the truck was downright criminal. I also remember the time a friend bought a new KZ 550. After so many complaints to the dealer, the service rep authorized a tear down and they found a red shop rag all folded up neatly between the oil pick-up and the bottom of the sump. It was nice to know the Japanese have a sense of humor too, ifnothing else.

H-D is well known forkeeping quietabout know problems, soit looks like it's going to be up to us, the buyers tosolve thisbearing BS for ourselves.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:29 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,759 Likes on 2,060 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cynic
Cynic, I believe I have heard that the caged rollers are superior to a full complement
when used in this type of application.
I think the theory was explained to me, but I don't remember. True??
mud
mud
Generally speaking, with all else being equal,
a caged roller usually doesn't have as much load carrying capacity,
butI would bet the bearing has a pretty big safety margin for it's use in the primary though.
.................................................. ...
Now I remember the way it was explained to me -

the caged rollers are superior to a full complement
when used in this type of application because
The full complement arrangement will not stand up to the heat
in high speed applications, and, as you mention,
the load here does not require the full complement.

mud

Old 06-24-2007, 03:33 PM
NEONNIGHT34609
Road Captain

How are you guys knowing the bearing is going out ?

Old 06-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

Should be a dry growling sound at first, eventually turning to a grinding sound if it's let go too long.

I've been keeping an ear on mine using a mechanics stethoscope, it's quiet so far, knock on wood.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Arrow
3rd Gear

I'm a little late here but wanted to add my two cents to the issue. I'm replacing the part for the 2nd time. First time was at 10k and now at 16k. I've been waiting 3 weeks for the parts around the bearing (not a mechanic) to come in. Seems it's on a long list of backorders due to its high demand. I don't think proper lubing is the problem here. I purchased my Street Bob in March 06, so I missed the first recall/denial letter that some of you stated you received. Anyone write a letter to HD yet?

Old 08-11-2007, 06:55 PM
shoptroll
Banned

I asked my service manager about this today and he said they got a SB when the 06's first came out about the 15K replacement. Then they got another SB that said it wasn't an issue anymore. He also said they haven't had to replace any. He did confirm the Wideglide handlebar recall and said they have replaced quite a few of those. Based on past experience, I have no reason to doubt his word, but it obviously is a real problem for some owners. This is really weird. Guess we'll all have to monitor this situation closely. I'm sure if it continues to be a problem either the MOCO will have to deal with it or the aftermarket will provide a solution.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:11 PM
sandysharley
Intermediate

I'm on my 4th bearing, it has failed like clockwork every 7500 miles, I was told second time, 15000 milesdue to improper snap ring being installed at 7500. I switched to Amsoil in hoping it was Syn 3 problem, but at 22500 went again. I tried to get them to replace whole set up with new, but motor company wouldn't do it, said would have to fail again. Well, at 30000 it went again. After raising a lot of hell with dealer, they got with area rep and are replacing everything with 07 case & bearingsexcept gear set, which I thought they should also do. Should get bike back sometime next week, at least they gave me loaner at no cost while bike down this time, said they would eat difference in $75 and what normally charged that warranty provides to rental. Area rep supposedly told dealer that this is not normal & I was exception and that I rode a lot more than most people as bike has 30000 in 18 months. When bought bike in 12/05, had a letter stating bearing would be 15000 service item covered by warranty at no cost to owner, then got another saying it wasn't a issue anymore. Noises were primary getting extremely loud as stated in earlier posts, especially when in neutral. When cold out, was really loud and when first rode, could feel shaking through foot pegs as stopping and when in upper gears at highway speeds. Sounds just got worse with miles, wasn't willing to take chance much after it got to the 7500 mark as didn't want it seizing up while going down road. At least I have another 4 months on original warranty plus I got 7 yr extended. My bike was built in 12/05, and was delayed 6 weeks because of neutral light recall as ordered in 11/05.

Quick Reply: Inner Primary Bearing Recall