Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Tire Recommendations (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1227717-tire-recommendations.html)

abez 04-11-2018 11:53 AM

Tire Recommendations

Can anyone recommend a good tire for traction in the turns.
Im looking for a sticky tire that will hook up in the canyons and mountains when getting low and leaning.
Ive been using the factory OEM Michelin scorcher tires and they work but slip sometimes.

I have read that the Pirelli night dragons are a preferred tire as well as Avons.
any other recommendation for good traction tires that are on par with sport bike tires?

these would be mounted on the factory LRS wheels.
thanks.

cthagreekgod 04-11-2018 11:56 AM

Shinko 777s are the stickiest tire I have ever run. I don't anticipate a ton of miles out of them but they are sticky for sure.

2500hdon37s 04-11-2018 12:26 PM

I'd say the Pirelli Night Dragon is exactly what you're looking for.

I ride very aggressive with my night dragons after running both the factory scorcher and the Michelin commander II's the night dragons have hands down better grip... and from my experience better mileage. And I think most replies here will point you to the night dragons, but I'd say if you PURELY ride canyons and carve corners pushing the limits 95% of the time you may want to look at something even a little more sticky like a sports bike or sport touring tire.

Star Commtrey 04-11-2018 01:55 PM

OK, what about a set that you want miles out of?

Sandcrab 04-11-2018 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Star Commtrey (Post 17265924)
OK, what about a set that you want miles out of?

My 2015 UC Limited came with Dunlops, and the front went 24,465 miles and was changed to start a X-country trip.

The rear got a nail in at 15,253 miles and the replacement Dunlop went 24,443 miles. Had it replaced yesterday.

I think they corner well also.

perki48 04-11-2018 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sandcrab (Post 17266021)
My 2015 UC Limited came with Dunlops, and the front went 24,465 miles and was changed to start a X-country trip.

The rear got a nail in at 15,253 miles and the replacement Dunlop went 24,443 miles. Had it replaced yesterday.

The problem here is he is riding a Dyna and it uses different sized tires. My original rear went 14,000 and the replacement only made it 6,800 before cord started showing.

Star Commtrey 04-11-2018 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sandcrab (Post 17266021)

My current tires are Dunlop. Only got 8k out of the rear .

Bob_fxdb 04-11-2018 03:19 PM

I second the shinkos!

DaveE 04-11-2018 06:15 PM

I like my Avon Cobras.

Hoges 04-11-2018 07:23 PM

Well,,, I'll throw a spanner in the mix.
I also own a LRS and found the stock Michelin Scorchers lacking for grip particularly on wet roads. I never wore them out and started looking for better tyres.
On reading here most people recommended the Pirelli Night Dragons, so I fitted a set to try them out.
I hated the night dragons and only had them on for about 1000 klm's, they were slippery as hell on wet roads and not much better in the dry to the point they felt dangerous, for my safety I took them off and threw them under the house.
Now if you just cruise around on straight roads and ride gently in the corners they'll be fine, but I like to ride hard in the mountains and wanted sticky tyres and wasn't fussed on the mileage they last as long as the stick.
My opinion is that if you want grip and handling you need to look for radials and toss away those bias ply tyres which feel rock hard and don't give any feed back.
So I experimented with Conti trail attack 2's on the LRS and am now on my third set, the difference in handling, grip and tyre compliance is Night and day better than any of the previous tyres I had on the LRS.
Plus because of the deep tread on the rear Conti is about 9mm I am getting 11,000 klm's out of a set, front and back are worn at the same time.
I Am running a 110/80 x 19 front and a 170/60 x 17 rear.
Im not saying to go with the Conti's but there are many other radials in those sizes from other brands.
I will never put a bias ply tyre on my LRS again.