Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ear Protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 10:36 AM
TOE_CUTTER
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Ear Protection

Guys,

I wanted to find out what you guys are using for ear protection. I don’t have a problem when I use my full face, but when I use my skull cap and doing 90-100, after an hour my ears are ringing. I tried the standard foam construction style ear plugs, but they do too good of a job, if that makes sense. I don’t have a fairing on my bike.

Thanks for any tips,

Dave

Last edited by TOE_CUTTER; 04-14-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:55 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

First thing; there's no such thing as a 'quiet' full face helmet. Some are just less noisy than others Wear ear plugs always; the wind noise will slowly destroy your hearing, no matter what helmet you wear.

I've had great luck with Alpine MotoSafe Race ear plugs, they're very effective at cutting out the wind noise. The Race plugs are hard to find locally, the source I get them from is in the U.K...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpine-Moto....c100005.m1851

The following 2 users liked this post by TinCupChalice:
Antonio Balls (04-14-2018), ludville1 (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 11:05 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Not a conventional solution but I use Shure SE series in ear monitors (ear buds). They're double duty for me: noise reduction & entertainment/navigation. I don't always pump audio thru them (from phone) but I do always wear them.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:32 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,030 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by TOE_CUTTER
I wanted to find out what you guys are using for ear protection.
Passenger w/ big hoots

That..., or a box of foam plugs from a big box store - cheap..., fit..., work - and should you lose em..., easily replaceable

Ghost

Old 04-14-2018, 04:52 PM
dlporter
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I tried the surefire ep-10s and they were nice, but I keep going back to the foam plugs because they get the job done for the least money. I bought a box of
these these
three years ago and haven’t even used half of the box yet.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:12 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Earbuds and the musics

Old 04-14-2018, 05:23 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

The E.A.R. style compressible foam ear plugs and similar products are very effective and almost as good as the OTH (over the head) ear protectors. Wear them with any style helmet to help prevent noise induced hearing loss.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:50 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Full face ... i still wear plugs. Hearing loss occurs at 85db over and extended period and you are not immune to this level even with a full face.

You wont find hearing protection that is less quiet. If you do, its not called hearing protection. Stick with the construction Foamies. Any thing less than this is likely useless and although you may hear more...you wont be protected against the 85db threshold during hwy riding cause of the wind.

dr.bigbadpoppa

Old 04-14-2018, 09:07 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,331 Likes on 10,702 Posts

Originally Posted by TOE_CUTTER
Guys,

I wanted to find out what you guys are using for ear protection. I don’t have a problem when I use my full face, but when I use my skull cap and doing 90-100, after an hour my ears are ringing. I tried the standard foam construction style ear plugs, but they do too good of a job, if that makes sense. I don’t have a fairing on my bike.

Thanks for any tips,

Dave
I have found by FAAAARRR the BEST are these. Flents at NRR 33 the HIGHEST u can get.

Been riding 11 yrs over 300K miles and I ride DAILY. LOVE IT. THESE I wear every day. See below. Avaiable at Walmert super cheap! Thing is....most everyone does NOT know how to wear them. See the video link below too my friend.

This is the vid on how to use them.

BuzzCap7

Old 04-14-2018, 09:39 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Foam ear plugs are great, but they need to be inserted correctly to get the maximum benefit (see post #9). I use a bunch of different brands, all which work great- 3M, Pura-fit, Hearos and Macks. The only plug I can wear without requiring tweezers for removing is Pura-Fit (nice and long). I also have a couple of helmets that have excellent ratings for noise control. The damage is done for me- ringing, buzzing, hissing 24-7. Could always be worse though. Glad your heeding the warning of the ringing ears! Good luck.

Quick Reply: Ear Protection