Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions Decisions.....Dyna FLD Big Bore Kit..

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 12:10 PM
Sosee
Advanced
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Decisions Decisions.....Dyna FLD Big Bore Kit..

So I am upgrading my 2015 Dyna Switchback. Not really very mechanically inclined but have been reading as much as I can in an effort to comprehend the valuable advice some folks are willing to offer.

I am thinking 103 to 110 but no further. I don't want a drag strip bike. JUst looking to gain some power mainly in gears 3-6.
Right now bike is stock save for Air Cleaner which is Arlen Ness Inverted.

I posted this in another area but thought I would see what some of my fellow Dyna guys thoughts are/were.
If I go the FuelMoto route I am going to ride it to Wisconsin from the SW USA area. (I think the trip will be fun)

I think I am down to one of these two:
Fuelmoto with Level B Heads.
https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-238970...%7Cyear%3D2015

or
https://www.ebay.com/itm/S-S-Cycle-P...-/122323922454

In either case, would you upgrade the clutch to a Barnett? Thinking the increase performance would not be handled all that well by the stock clutch and if I am going to spend the money for the kit, tune, heads etc etc...why "cheap out" on the clutch.

Exhaust will be DnD Fat Cat 2 into 1

Thinking of this cam:
https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-208596...-camshaft.html

Thoughts? Opinions? Hell no what are you, and idiot?!? or even any "good plan...you will love it."

Anybody have any suggestions or items which you would add etc etc?

Thanks

Old 04-21-2018, 02:18 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Have u considerer just doing cams for the 103 and a proper tune? I hear great gains from this. Def 2 into 1 for performance. The only dual pipe setup that will get you close to a 2 into 1 setup would be the VH big shots but still not a true 2 into 1 but close based on their setup.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:57 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

more in the s&s box for you engine overall

you are right, you will want a clutch upgrade either way. diamond,Barnett scorpion, or vp95lt for clutch.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:40 PM
Sosee
Advanced

Originally Posted by cvaria
more in the s&s box for you engine overall

you are right, you will want a clutch upgrade either way. diamond,Barnett scorpion, or vp95lt for clutch.
Yea. I tend to agree. The absence of a Throttle Body in both of these Kits seems a bit odd to me. Perhaps I just don't know enough but it would seem to me that if one wants to raise compression then he should also look into improving the flow through that area, right?

I also absolutely agree that a clutch upgrade (not just a spring) is also going to be needed.

Obviously I could put a SE throttle body with either of these and it would upgrade from the stock one. The question is I guess, which would be the better choice. S&S has been around a bit longer and does have a well deserved reputation as fat as I can tell. Fuelmoto however is also posting some really positive reviews and compliments.

Hmmmmm

Thanks for taking the time to answer. It is genuinely appreciated. I have no doubt that whichever way I go, its going to make it an especially fun machine to ride.

EDIT: Pros and Cons of just upgrading the clutch spring/plate or having a whole new clutch? (aside from the money end of it I mean) What I don't want to do is upgrade something only to discover in a couple weeks I didn't upgrade enough. I had thought about just doing a crate motor but I rather like the prospect of learning the what and why of the upgrades themselves. Budget wise, this may very well come in above what it would have cost to do a nice crate motor. Thats okay though.

Last edited by Sosee; 04-21-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:11 PM
Sosee
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigbadpoppa
Have u considerer just doing cams for the 103 and a proper tune? I hear great gains from this. Def 2 into 1 for performance. The only dual pipe setup that will get you close to a 2 into 1 setup would be the VH big shots but still not a true 2 into 1 but close based on their setup.
Yea. I did look at this option. Found some Dyno logs of similar bikes with similar upgrades and while the upgrade of the exhaust will be a big gain, I sorta feel like since I am in there anyway..."

Old 04-21-2018, 05:15 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sosee
Yea. I tend to agree. The absence of a Throttle Body in both of these Kits seems a bit odd to me. Perhaps I just don't know enough but it would seem to me that if one wants to raise compression then he should also look into improving the flow through that area, right?

I also absolutely agree that a clutch upgrade (not just a spring) is also going to be needed.

Obviously I could put a SE throttle body with either of these and it would upgrade from the stock one. The question is I guess, which would be the better choice. S&S has been around a bit longer and does have a well deserved reputation as fat as I can tell. Fuelmoto however is also posting some really positive reviews and compliments.

Hmmmmm

Thanks for taking the time to answer. It is genuinely appreciated. I have no doubt that whichever way I go, its going to make it an especially fun machine to ride.

EDIT: Pros and Cons of just upgrading the clutch spring/plate or having a whole new clutch? (aside from the money end of it I mean) What I don't want to do is upgrade something only to discover in a couple weeks I didn't upgrade enough. I had thought about just doing a crate motor but I rather like the prospect of learning the what and why of the upgrades themselves. Budget wise, this may very well come in above what it would have cost to do a nice crate motor. Thats okay though.
you aren't going to be anywhere near a crate.

as far as not enough clutch:

three charts here from my upgrade. as an example... not a rule/playbook. i could have made better choices.

chart 1: stock clutch
chart 2: upgraded clutch/ stock throttle body/ stage 1 air cleaner
chart 3: upgraded clutch/ upgraded throttle body/ 58mm aircleaner

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyno-...0-gaskets.html

s&s kit and fuel moto kit will both be fine with stock induction.

Last edited by cvaria; 04-21-2018 at 05:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sosee (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 02:02 PM
Sosee
Advanced

CVARIA. Thank you mucho!! Great info!

I am thinking S&S. Fuelmoto sounds great too but S&S has been around for long time and seems to be tried, true and tested. Many far more knowledgeable engine gurus are advising me to go S&S.

Next question:

Need a top notch Tuner/Builder in the Southwest. Don’t care where. I’ll ship the bike to whomever is the best guy. I googled this but no real way to sort through who is and is not a wise choice. Referrals are usually the best way to go on stuff like this I think anyway.
I know Doug Coffey is a guru but given his reputation, I am not sure I can afford his expertise. Lol

EDIT: It’s amazing how this “refresh” has turned into something much more involved. I started out thinking I would just refresh the engine on me bike but as I get into it, I find there are numerous improvements I can make and honestly, most of them are not very expensive.
I originally wanted to purchase a new Road Glide Special with the Milwaukee engine and have the dealer install a Stage IV kit etc on it right away. However I am not going that route this year due to monetary considerations mainly. I am glad that I am not though because getting into the upgrades and possibilities for the Dyna is actually really fun. I never knew I could do all these things and my knowledge on the subject consisted basically of “take it to the dealer and have them do whatever works best”. Now I am more like “ummm, lets change the pistons, cylinders, injectors, cams, rods and clutch then lets Dynotune it until we get the performance numbers this little Dyna deserves and by the way, why a 255 cam over a 999-6A n stuff. Two months ago if someone asked me what cam is in the bike I would have given them a blank stare, having not a clue. This is rather fun. I feel bad that I kept this wonderful little buddy so hobbled and caged for so long. He deserves better. ...and he is about to get it.

Last edited by Sosee; 04-22-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 04-22-2018, 03:15 PM
Sosee
Advanced

Wow CVARIA, That clutch slip at 5.1 - 5.3 looks bad. I am guessing the Barnett upgrade resolved that just fine. How has the reliability been since this work?
There are definitely parts of your work I have yet to fully comprehend but it appears that the upgrade to the clutch eliminated the slip nicely. That’s my fear about sending that much power through a stock clutch. It’s just not made to handle it. I am thinking of doing the entire clutch.

What made you select that Cam? What was your specific goal going into the changes? My goal is a gain in power and torque starting midrange 3rd gear and continuing through the upper band of 6th. I think off the line, my Dyna is okay and that the inherent gains that will occur with the kit will be enough. Toward that end I had landed on the Woods TW-999-6A as the best candidate thus far for my specific goals. have I lost my marbles though?

Your numbers look great! I did notice the humidity was 60% and 48% during two Dyno runs. Our humidity where I am and this bike will live is never anywhere near that high. That level of humidity had to have had an adverse effect on your performance results but you got great looking numbers anyway.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:42 PM
Sosee
Advanced

I have now peeled back to reach the Chain v Gear Cam area. I have not a clue what my runout currently is but at close to 40K total miles, the tensioner has to be close to the point at which it should be replaced, yes?

Old 04-22-2018, 09:38 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

585 easy start cams came in the power pack. i didn't bother with picing cams to be honest. i just followed the glowing red nose to a certain degree: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...uild-time.html

no problems out of the clutch goods, the scorpion or diamond engineering would have probably been a better call.

this went into my clutch.

primary

SE clutch diaphragm spring 37951-98
AIM variable pressure clutch VP95TL
Barnett 307-30-10013 Extra Plate Clutch Kit Kevlar

i think sending you bike around to globe may be going a little overboard. if you arent comfortable doing the upgrades, i'm sure there someone /shop/dealer near you that can do the work and tuning.

Quick Reply: Decisions Decisions.....Dyna FLD Big Bore Kit..