Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

small oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 06:13 PM
TravisD27
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question small oil leak

I have a 2004 Dyna Wide Glide and I been noticing oil on my kickstand whenever I finish riding. I checked and it looks like the oil is coming from around the oil drain pain near a couple of the bolts. I tightened the bolts but it still didn't help. The oil has been running down the back side of the primary and down where the primary drain bolt is and on my kickstand. I just purchased the bike but didnt notice the leak until I changed the oil. Is it possible I just overfilled?? or is something else wrong. It isnt a bad leak and it doesnt leak when the bike isnt running.

The pictures arnt the best. Im just trying to give a idea of where its leaking.

Attached Thumbnails small oil leak-20180423_161838-1-.jpg   small oil leak-20180423_162021-1-.jpg   small oil leak-20180423_162017-1-.jpg   small oil leak-20180423_161947-1-.jpg  
Old 04-23-2018, 07:34 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,283 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Look down between the transmission case and primary at the shift arm where it goes in the trans. The seal on the shift shaft will get worn on the moving shaft and allow oil past which will find its way to behind and near the primary drain plug.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:15 PM
TravisD27
Cruiser

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Look down between the transmission case and primary at the shift arm where it goes in the trans. The seal on the shift shaft will get worn on the moving shaft and allow oil past which will find its way to behind and near the primary drain plug.
How hard is that to fix? or is there any temporary solution to stop the leak?? Its not really bad yet. I was looking last night and it looks like that is where it is coming from

Old 04-24-2018, 02:30 PM
86glider
Road Warrior
Received 860 Likes on 514 Posts

If it is indeed coming from the shifter shaft ,the clutch and entire primary has to come out .easy fix with a factory service manual and ur good with tools.Don't worry too much about it until it gets worse, and keep tabs on the oil level.

The following users liked this post:
TravisD27 (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 03:21 PM
TravisD27
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 86glider
If it is indeed coming from the shifter shaft ,the clutch and entire primary has to come out .easy fix with a factory service manual and ur good with tools.Don't worry too much about it until it gets worse, and keep tabs on the oil level.
Ok thanks. I have a Clymer service manual on the way for my bike. Im pretty decent with tools but I do get intimated working on my bike. I just worry about messing something up. I pretty much have all the tools I need to work on the bike though.

Where would the oil be coming from? I assume the transmission? I checked and engine oil is good and transmission oil is also good. I havnt checked the primary but I literally just changed the oil two weeks ago

Old 04-24-2018, 11:42 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Get the factory svc manual and the parts manual. You'll be glad you did.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:29 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,283 Likes on 2,350 Posts

You will also need a gasket kit for this project, read through the steps and there may some videos on you tube detailing this operation at least the inner primary steps. Good luck. For information I run the transmission oil at 20-21 ozs. The manual says 20-24, I allow for any expansion and least amount of oil laying up against the shaft gasket when the bike is on the jiffy stand, that's just me.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:37 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

It's not from overfilling. With it HOT, you can top off to top mark on stick. Cold, go to mid stick and then top off later. It's a 2004 like mine, it's 14 years old. Unless it's really dripping while running, I would wipe the drool off the old girls' chin and keep getting up.
Very possible it's just from someone changing the oil filter. Unless you are very carefull, it runs down under the voltage regulator and wind takes over then.

You start tearing into the old girl now and only an expert that is not trying to make a living will have less leak when finished.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 04-25-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:13 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I agree with Rip. Ride it; especially at the beginning of the riding season. It's a GUESS that it's the shifter shaft seal. It could be: inner primary bearing seal, main drive gear seal, transmission shaft seal or an oil pan gasket. In some cases, on older bikes, riding it will make it stop leaking.

If you chase every weep, seep and leak on an older Harley you'd have 20K in it and never get to ride. In cases like this I recommend monitoring the fluid levels every ride and have a good time. Go out and lay under your car or truck; I can just about guarantee you that it has a weep, seep or leak somewhere and yet it goes down the road every day. Ride your bike and wait for something truly worth your time, money and energy.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 04-26-2018 at 06:16 AM.
TravisD27 (04-29-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 09:22 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Kinda hard to clearly identify with the difficult orientation of pictures.
It does look rather wet...
When taking pictures it sometimes helps to take a picture from about 5 feet away, then a bit closer and then really close.
Since the bike is new to you, consider :
Review of fluid levels.
Getting some simple green de-greaser and cleaning the areas really well.
Then cleaning it again.
Dry it it well.
When it is dry, ride it for a few miles and puff some talcum powder around the general area....the talcum powder will be able to mark the leak location .
A shifter shaft seal leak (located at transmission shaft) could be a suspect.
Below is a link to a parts finder so you can better identify parts and potential leak
locations.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

AKJames (05-03-2018)

Quick Reply: small oil leak