Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise Cancelling Earbuds?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 05:40 AM
Solina_Steve
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Noise Cancelling Earbuds?

Hey guys, do any of you use the noise cancelling earbuds to protect your hearing AND listen to music while you ride? I recently started riding with foam ear plugs, but I miss listening to music, so I am looking for a good alternative.

The problem I have with a lot of earbuds is they dont stay in my ear, I usually have to end up getting the kind that loop around my ear. Foam ear plugs stay in well and block the sound well, but no music.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-02-2018, 06:14 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I know people who listen to music thru earbuds and when we slow or stop in towns I can hear their music despite me having earplugs and wearing a full face helmet. I've asked all of them why they have it so loud and they all replied that was the volume needed to hear it while underway. I dunno how much "hearing protection" that offers, maybe none at all. There's also a difference in their skill levels riding with music vs not.

The following users liked this post:
Solina_Steve (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 06:22 AM
Solina_Steve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I know people who listen to music thru earbuds and when we slow or stop in towns I can hear their music despite me having earplugs and wearing a full face helmet. I've asked all of them why they have it so loud and they all replied that was the volume needed to hear it while underway. I dunno how much "hearing protection" that offers, maybe none at all. There's also a difference in their skill levels riding with music vs not.
Yea on my old honda I used to wear just regular earbuds and had to have the music as loud as possible to hear it. It was enjoyable on the ride but my ears would be ringing once I was home. In the long run thats not good for your hearing. I was hoping to find something that would block out the bad sound and thus be able to play music at a lower volume. Maybe it doesnt exist.

Also, since I have just recently started riding with earplugs, I definitely feel less alert and feel that my skill level is lower while wearing them. But maybe I will get use to it and that will pass.

Campy Roadie (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 06:23 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Everyone is different, but earplugs put me on point.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:25 AM
Solina_Steve
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Everyone is different, but earplugs put me on point.
Yea it is probably just something for me to get use to.....

Old 05-02-2018, 06:46 AM
Slvr764
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the $15 iFROGZ ear buds and they are awesome for riding. They have simple noise canceling rubber 'cups' that fit perfectly in my ear, and the sound quality is amazing for cheap headphones. I've also used the similarly priced skull candy headphones and they work great as well. For me, as long as the rubber cup size is right, they stay in just fine. I can even pull my full face helmet over them without them getting pulled out. The only time I have issues with them, is when I don't have enough slack on the wire and I need to turn my head more than halfway to either side. I usually overcome that by routing the wire down the back and under my jacket or putting my phone in inside pocket.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:55 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I don't own any active noise cancelling head gear but I do use ear "buds" that are noise isolating.

Ear "buds", to me, imply non-sealing micro speakers that fit on the outer ear. Generally cheap and poor sound quality.

"In ear monitors" are what I use. Many are intended for on-stage musicians to use as monitors during the performance. Some others are intended for hi-fi listening. The performance use models are what you want. They are designed to reduce noise, stay put, and resist sweat.

FIT IS CRITICAL.

If they don't completely seal off your ear canal (like ear plugs) they sound like crap and let in noise.

I use Shure SE215. They're affordable, durable, sound good, stay put, and are all-day comfortable. Takes a while to get used to putting them in and to find the correct size/style for the tips but I've been using them for close to 10 years and I love them.

Silicone tips are easier for cleaning and insertion but the foam ones are more secure and comfortable. Keep in mind your ears may be two different sizes. Mine are.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:03 AM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

On a related subject. I bought some expensive Sony noise canceling headphones for a long plane trip. My experience was they didn't work. They were supposed to cancel the engine noise from the plane and allow me to hear someone speak. It didn't work. So, I'm a little skeptical of that technology.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:25 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 590 Likes on 309 Posts

Any of these should work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tone+lg https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tone+lg

As usual, more $$ equals either better quality or more bells and whistles.

They come with different size buds. If you lube them with a little chap stick they will stay better.

Most are not "noise cancelling" but are noise blockers. I have not had to turn them up any louder to use while riding.

The Tone Infinity 900 even allows for pairing with more than one device, like the Zumo GPS and your mp3 or phone. Listen to music and still get your directions.

Last edited by r0de_runr; 05-02-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Solina_Steve
Intermediate

Has anyone tried these? www.plugfones.com?

Quick Reply: Noise Cancelling Earbuds?