Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with tail light wiring!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Dan Schriefer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok the Kuryakin lights I bought have four wires. Because they have an amber bulb. The stock lights are all red, that’s what confused me until someone pointed it out. I have a 2015 Dyna wide glide. So my black is ground, blue is runnin light, than violet I’d brake and turn signal. So I had to hook up my brake wire and turn wire from the light to the factory wires. Because of the amber turn function. Made total sense after the fact lol

Old 05-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Dan Schriefer
1st Gear

Try this...black fro black, red from your light to blue on bike, than brake from light to both violets( each side of bike) then violet again for each turn signal on the new light respectively...make any sense? Give that a try

Old 05-19-2018, 09:25 AM
Nlstreetbobber
Novice

Originally Posted by Dan Schriefer
Ok the Kuryakin lights I bought have four wires. Because they have an amber bulb. The stock lights are all red, that’s what confused me until someone pointed it out. I have a 2015 Dyna wide glide. So my black is ground, blue is runnin light, than violet I’d brake and turn signal. So I had to hook up my brake wire and turn wire from the light to the factory wires. Because of the amber turn function. Made total sense after the fact lol
Awesome thanks, that's what I was wondering, if the brake and turn wires went together or the brake and run wires.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:26 AM
Dan Schriefer
1st Gear

I’ve also go only 3 wires. The violet wire is turn and brake, because the stock lights are all red.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:17 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

A little bit of experimentation won't hurt anything. Plus, it's fun. Mystery, intrigue, romance! Try hooking it up and see what happens! If it Don't work right, try a different way. Just make sure the ground is always the ground. Otherwise the magic smoke will escape and the fun will end.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:25 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

I don't think it going to work out the way you're hoping...

That light you show above is really for bikes with a separate filament for each function...such as a FXD with a Tail/Brake Light ((2) filaments) and then a Right and Left Turn.

Your bike (without a Tail/Brake light) is like having a run/brake/turn module installed, but I think it's really programmed into your BCM (I think) ...you need to get them back separated out

The first thing I would do is ask the dealer if the BCM is flashed differently and if you can get that function changed (Thinking out loud here )

Last edited by multihdrdr; 05-19-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:09 PM
zzhydezz
Stage I

Originally Posted by Nlstreetbobber
Awesome thanks, that's what I was wondering, if the brake and turn wires went together or the brake and run wires.
Did it work?

Old 01-31-2019, 08:26 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Go to the Harley Service Information Portal to find the wiring diagrams for your year/model

Old 11-11-2019, 04:26 AM
Johnathan Brodski
Stage I
Default Same Problem

Hey everyone, if anyone fount the solution please let me know. Purchased exact same rear light and now have no idea how to wire it right way...

Old 11-11-2019, 04:38 AM
Nlstreetbobber
Novice

Originally Posted by Johnathan Brodski
Hey everyone, if anyone fount the solution please let me know. Purchased exact same rear light and now have no idea how to wire it right way...

Quick Reply: Need help with tail light wiring!