Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Dyna Low Rider Vibrates A Lot

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 09:26 PM
RexFox
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Dyna Low Rider Vibrates A Lot

My 2007 Low Rider with only `13,000 miles vibrates so much at the rear pegs and sissy bar pad that it is super uncomfortable for my wife to ride with me. I just replaced the motor mounts and both were broken. The vibation is better, but still bad at the back. It has after market exhaust, but stock air cleaner. If I install a free flowing air filter and have the bike remapped, could that solve the problem? It runs well and the spark plug tip looks perfect, but it does not like to be lugged, the throttle is a little twitchy and the fuel mileage is not even as good as my 01 carbureted Road King. I just bought this bike and love it, but if my wife can’t ride with me....
Thank you

Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

Check engine alignment at the top cross arm. Maybe increase the pre-load on the rear suspension.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:23 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Is the vibration related to speed, rpm or the gear you're in? Steady throttle, accelerating or decelerating? More specific info might help.
Do you have slipons or a complete new system? An aftermarket exhaust system can create harmonic imbalances. If it is a total new system I would loosen it up and starting from the front gently tighten it down, making sure everything is in line. If you just changed the mufflers, try the stock ones and see if that helps.
Improving the tune won't take care of a mechanical issue.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:53 PM
RexFox
1st Gear

It has slipons. I just bought the bike so I do not know how long they’ve been in place. The vibration is there at all speeds, RPMs and in any gear, but it is most noticeable at lower RPMs. I will do as you suggest and loosen the slipons and then retighten.
My original question stemmed from the fact that the exhaust is free flowing, but the intake is very restricted (stock), which is why I wondered if installing a free flow intake and then remapping would help make a smoother running engine.
Thanks for the tips
Rex

Old 05-21-2018, 09:15 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

When you replaced the mounts did you re-align the power train? There is a specific way of doing it, it’s in the manual...also, did you shim the front mount? Doing the alignment procedure seems to cure most unnecessary vibes, shimming the front mount will help as well, but it also helps keeping the mount from premature failure.....

Old 05-22-2018, 07:12 PM
RexFox
1st Gear

No, I did not align the power train. I was told by a mechanic the dealership that you don’t align Dyna engines. I was unaware of the shims too, which I assume are for alignment?
Back to my original question though, will running high flow exhaust with a stock air cleaner and stock mapping cause vibration? The bike starts right up, has loads of power, but is only getting about 30 mpg and has a lot of vibration, at least as compared to my Road King and Sportster.
Thanks for your help

Old 05-22-2018, 09:07 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

To properly install the front motor mount it may require shimming. You don't want the mount squeezed in there because it's too compressed or stretched out because it's too far between the motor and the mount. After installing the mounts, but before torquing them down, the bike needs to be run for a few seconds so the motor and trans settles into position.
I seriously doubt that the set up you have with the exhaust and intake has anything to do with excess vibration. Look elsewhere.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:32 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,296 Likes on 2,352 Posts

When you install an open intake you shouldn't have a vibration issue, I haven't on three Harleys. Is your exhaust anchored to the frame anywhere? I'd loosen it up at that point and try tightening it up again. Just for giggles and grins, have you checked the gap on your plugs? .040"

Last edited by seniorsuperglideE8; 05-23-2018 at 07:34 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-24-2018, 07:30 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

Same problem here, it just happened one day. I've replace motor mounts, compensator, fuel pump, wheel bearings, re-torqued stem nut, tried fuel additives, shimmed front isolator, checked runout and alignment, put a FuelPak on it and tried multiple maps, checked plug gap, replaced plug wires, and still vibrates so bad I don't even ride it. To add insult to injury, I took it to the dealer to have it diagnosed and for $110 they told me it is "Normal". I know what normal is, I have 3 Harleys.

Last edited by Huggerbugger; 05-24-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:40 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,383 Likes on 2,951 Posts

"30mpg"? I think your vibration is in the fueling/timing tables.

Compensator issue?

Quick Reply: 2007 Dyna Low Rider Vibrates A Lot