Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 WG Low Rpm Bucking

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 04:40 PM
rbartick
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I guess your wife told you this, so just agree with her and run it in the smooth range.
It was was actually THIS MEMBER.

He insists that all big twin Harleys pull cleanly from below 2,000 RPM without lugging and stumbling even when under a load. He said my bike needs to be serviced.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:11 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,785 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick

He insists that all big twin Harleys pull cleanly from below 2,000 RPM without lugging and stumbling even when under a load. He said my bike needs to be serviced.
Actually rereading your post, I must have been asleep. If you look above at my answer, somehow, I thought you were referring to the upper gears. Mine will pull cleanly say I shift to second at 1800 or so and throttle it up. However, I have never just nailed WOT to see what that does. But I can shift and come on pretty hard and shift at 4000 into 3rd and it never misses a beat. (I have an agreement with myself I never exceed the speed limit or get in a hurry on my bike..I retired 7 years ago, thru the Rolex away but do have the necessary reminders in my phone that are necessary)
My bike is stock, no tuner or cam.. Power overlap cams and tuners no telling...Somehow, open exhaust kills some bottom end power somehow. Not sure why. I can pull out in second with a little RPM.
Your bike is probably a little lighter and more CI. Not sure about gearing but I would think your 6 speed is actually a little lower then my 5 speed. How many miles on it? Does it run strong above this problem? if so, I would concern myself with it. Run it where it runs well. What I do. Mine fills rough at 4K, So, most all my shifts are less than 3K

Old 05-22-2018, 05:36 PM
rbartick
Tourer

I did say it does it in upper gears. That is where the engine sees a load. This I what I said:

For example, I shift into 6th gear at 65 MPH on the highway and run into traffic ahead. I slow to 50 MPH and then twist the throttle when the traffic clears. At that point my RPMs are below 2,000 in top gear and the engine lugs very heavily (bucks). I have to down shift to 4th or 5th. Essentially, I'm not really able to go below around 2,000 RPM in the upper gears and give it throttle without really upsetting the motor.

I have no other issues with my bike.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:49 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

I did say it does it in upper gears. That is where the engine sees a load. This I what I said:

For example, I shift into 6th gear at 65 MPH on the highway and run into traffic ahead. I slow to 50 MPH and then twist the throttle when the traffic clears. At that point my RPMs are below 2,000 in top gear and the engine lugs very heavily (bucks). I have to down shift to 4th or 5th. Essentially, I'm not really able to go below around 2,000 RPM in the upper gears and give it throttle without really upsetting the motor.

I have no other issues with my bike.
When you re apply throttle, do you just whack the throttle WFO, or do you "feed" it throttle, little by little?

Old 05-22-2018, 07:40 PM
rbartick
Tourer

Just rolling into the throttle for normal highway acceleration. Not wide open.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:24 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Just rolling into the throttle for normal highway acceleration. Not wide open.
Dude, you're riding a Harley not a Hayabusa. Learn to downshift when it's appropriate or you'll be replacing the bottom end on the motor way before it's time.

The following users liked this post:
crusader1xxx (05-23-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 10:55 PM
sdlsaginaw
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

On the other hand, I'm able to lug my inline-4 sport bike down to idle in top gear and it will pull away smoothly (albeit with no power).
Your sport bike has a shorter stroke (I assume) in addition to having twice the ignition events for any given RPM than the v-twin. Probably even geared lower since sport bikes rev higher.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:46 AM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

Your lugging the motor...plain and simple....at 100 Kph you should be in 4 th or 5 th gear, not 6th.

Not sure how how many motorcycles you have ridden, but learning the rpm sweet spot is important.....both for ridabilty and engine longevity.....

Old 05-23-2018, 07:59 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

No, that is not what I said.
What I said was:
"If your stock Wideglide won't pull cleanly under 2000 rpm under load, something's wrong with it. Consider taking it in and getting it fixed."

This was in reference to his completely stock, fuel injected, computer controlled twin-cam Wideglide, and I said nothing about it applying to all big twins. Carburated, modified, or pre-ECM bikes can be quite a different matter.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:27 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,785 Posts

In proper gear was assumed..and nothing wrong with your statement..

Quick Reply: 2010 WG Low Rpm Bucking