Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Diy cooling fans (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1234906-diy-cooling-fans.html)

Nickd2689 05-23-2018 05:42 AM

Diy cooling fans

has anyone built their own cooking fan system? I’ve been kicking the idea around for a while now and think I’m gonna squeeze the trigger. I basically want to just build a set to test, then after I get some miles on them and work any bugs out, I’ll build a better set and Powdercoat them. If anyone has done this, what fans did you use? How well did they stand up to water?

I’m looking at 4 inch fans that only cost about 60 bucks. They will be going inside a steel housing that I will tig weld, then powdercoat In the barn. Originally I was thinking of going with a cylinder shaped housing, but I might try diamond shaped depending on the size and appearance once I get the shell fabricated and mounted. Also looking to make them quick connect so cleaning my engine fins is easier.

Any advice is welcome. Hopefully I’ll have a good final product to post back with.

MURPHCC1 05-23-2018 06:00 AM

There used to be a guy around here that R&Dd a bunch of fans.....I believe he ended up using some computer fans.......nice set up with a heat actuated switch. Worked GREAT......started to sell them and got burned down by a large corporate thing............now he's gone and the big corporate thing is selling his design............but there are still some of his artwork in use out there........you can them on my sig pic..........

Good luck.......watch yer a$$!

Nickd2689 05-23-2018 06:48 AM

Wow I wouldn’t expect computer fans to hold up very well to moisture but whatever works. I’m by no means looking to make a business out of this, just want to build my own system for my bike and the ol’s.

cggorman 05-23-2018 06:53 AM

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...placement.html

The above linked fans are supposedly what Wards used. IP55 and about 60 cfm.

Personally, that seems a little inadequate to me. If I was doing thisyself, I'd dig around a bit more for something more robust. IP65 or better, all metal, maybe fluid bearings (would need to research fan bearings with regard to heat amd vibration) and at least 100 cfm. Maybe marine bilge fans or something from ebm pabst.

MURPHCC1 05-23-2018 08:05 AM

Well I will tell you that the 60 CFM it quite adequate........I can idle my bike till it gets to 275*-300* and turn on the fans and in a matter of minutes temp is down to 235* and stays there.

AND I've had these on for like 3-4 years now with NO problems.

cggorman 05-23-2018 08:24 AM

Can't argue with experience.

Mikhailov 05-23-2018 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nickd2689 (Post 17381637)
has anyone built their own cooking fan system? I’ve been kicking the idea around for a while now and think I’m gonna squeeze the trigger. I basically want to just build a set to test, then after I get some miles on them and work any bugs out, I’ll build a better set and Powdercoat them. If anyone has done this, what fans did you use? How well did they stand up to water?

I’m looking at 4 inch fans that only cost about 60 bucks. They will be going inside a steel housing that I will tig weld, then powdercoat In the barn. Originally I was thinking of going with a cylinder shaped housing, but I might try diamond shaped depending on the size and appearance once I get the shell fabricated and mounted. Also looking to make them quick connect so cleaning my engine fins is easier.

Any advice is welcome. Hopefully I’ll have a good final product to post back with.

How are you going to trigger it to turn on? Have you figured out if you have enough power from the stator to operate it? How many amp does it use?

Nickd2689 05-23-2018 09:20 AM

I was actually planning on using 240 cfm fans. As far as triggering them goes, I just want a simple toggle switch as I will only need them when riding in the city on hot days. When it’s 80 or higher it only takes about 2-3 minutes to hit 300 which is where I shut it down. I don’t know the amperage they draw but finding out is definitely on my to do list. I’m not too worried about the stator because I’m not gonna but fans that draw a lot of current. As I’m sure you know they draw much higher current when first starting than they do while they’re running.

jmeiers 05-23-2018 11:01 AM

Just get the Love Jugs Mighty Mites. They simply work. My bike doesn't go over 250, even in traffic.

Nickd2689 05-23-2018 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by jmeiers (Post 17382405)
Just get the Love Jugs Mighty Mites. They simply work. My bike doesn't go over 250, even in traffic.

I appreciate the advice but I’m looking forward to creating my own system.