Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single vs dual disc

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 09:54 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Single vs dual disc

I have a street bob with single disc brake and consider to convert to dual or a better caliber and disc. Will a good brand caliber like Brembo(monoblock) and a good quality disc have enough stopping power compared to a ordinary HD’s dual disc system? I already run a radial tokico caliber with oem disc, and I want more bite.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:51 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

l've had an 07 FXD (single disc) and l've got an 014 Lowrider (twin disc) at present. lMHO, messing around with calipers, discs and braided lines will give you better bang for your buck than a standard twin disc setup.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:13 AM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain

Yeah after upgrading to radial, I changed to braided line as well. It doesn't feel right yet. I have a brembo monoblock in the garage right now, but I’m trying to decide if I want to use the brembo with a better disc, or sell the brembo to upgrade to a double disc, maybe dual tokico in the front. Then I have to change the master cylinder, get one more caliber, change the lower fork and get another rotor(properly two new rotors). One brembo vs two tokicos....?

Old 05-27-2018, 10:40 AM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,033 Likes on 2,935 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_fxdb
and I want more bite.
You really don't - past the point of lockup, **** is useless (unless one knows the skill of slide steering)

=======================

Rather you want more drag = which is simple physics for getting whoaed down

Ghost

Old 05-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

Better pads and a better master would give you a better overall feel to your braking which i believe is what you’re looking for

Old 05-27-2018, 10:55 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

I have a street bob with single disc brake and consider to convert to dual or a better caliber and disc. Will a good brand caliber like Brembo(monoblock) and a good quality disc have enough stopping power compared to a ordinary HD’s dual disc system? I already run a radial tokico caliber with oem disc, and I want more bite. control.
FIFY

Even the stock rotor and brake pads can completely lock up the front so the 'bite' is there, it's a matter of gaining additional control over your braking. Stopping effectively truly comes down to your tire contact patch; you need to be able to apply maximum braking but still keep the wheels rotating; kinetic friction is much more effective and will stop you more rapidly than the static friction of a sliding tire.

Braking control isn't a single magic bullet but a combination of tires, suspension, braking components, and the skill to effectively modulate the front brake lever; when you practice heavy/maximum braking you'll develop the confidence to truly use the front and rear brakes effectively, and it's that confidence along with a few upgrades that will truly give you the control over your braking...

Old 05-27-2018, 11:04 AM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ghost_13
You really don't - past the point of lockup, **** is useless (unless one knows the skill of slide steering)

=======================

Rather you want more drag = which is simple physics for getting whoaed down

Ghost
yes I know the physics. What I meant with more bite is of course more bite without lockup. I’m familiar with sports bike brakes, and I want something in that direction... hehe yes I also know that it is going to be expensive if I want to get the same exact feel, but I don’t. I just want to feel more bite when braking.

I think I’m going with the single disc brembo with lyndalls rotors and pads, if somebody don’t know a better rotor?

Which hd model have the best master cylinder? Vrod?

Old 05-27-2018, 11:14 AM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,033 Likes on 2,935 Posts

yes I know the physics.
Obviously not - and TC and I both tried to explain it

One option - big brake kit
Other option - dual disc retrofit

Not saying one better than the other cause I've never used the big brake kit

I think I’m going with the single disc brembo with lyndalls rotors and pads, if somebody don’t know a better rotor?

Better "single" rotor - would be a bigger rotor​​​​​​ - hence the big brake kit

Which hd model have the best master cylinder? Vrod?
No clue - better is always subjective (shear braking power / modulation / feedback / looks / or something else)

Ghost

The following users liked this post:
TinCupChalice (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 11:28 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Ghost nailed it; I went the route of the Arlen Ness Big Brake rotor along with Lyndall pads. There is an obvious difference in braking control and my maximum/threshold braking distances were reduced even further with those upgrades. If you want to stick with a single rotor, the Big Brake with good organic pads that provide a better 'feel' at the lever will give you a noticeable increase in braking performance and control. With each upgrade it becomes even more important to practice your braking so you can use what they bring to the table effectively...

Old 05-27-2018, 11:52 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I've had numerous single disc bikes that all stopped adequately, but it is surprising to me in this time of faster speeds, more traffic, distracted drivers, that more emphasis is not placed by Moco on braking. In the past, dual rotors setups were in place to reduce fade when touring or cruising involved long grades, lots of braking, especially long down grades.

What has has changed is heavy extended stop and go traffic, constant braking, so the dual setup with decent pads/rotors is a real plus for buyers. I am surprised when I see bikes offered with single disc, but that usually does not prevent me from braking adequately with a good single rotor setup.

Moco's pads are adequate, rotors vary in quality. But like so much today, they are nothing special. They meet the legal requirements, after all, they are not selling Volvo's based on safety features.

Quick Reply: Single vs dual disc