Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   2017 Dyna Low Rider Mini-Apes? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1239323-2017-dyna-low-rider-mini-apes.html)

ebmike88 06-19-2018 11:23 AM

2017 Dyna Low Rider Mini-Apes?

Hello everyone. So I purchased a new 2017 Dyna Low Rider last July (2017) to replace my 2015 1200C. One thing I have always wanted to do was change the LR bars out for some mini apes something either 8inch or 12 inch rise. I did everything myself on the 1200c to include changing out the cables and buckhorns out for mini apes. Now I am wanting to change the LR stock bars for mini apes, I miss the comfort and the fist in the wind feeling. My question is. Is this easy to do? And can I just throw on "any" set of bars that are sized correctly? The reason I ask is because when I looked at the stock bars the other day I was confused of what I would have to completely remove to get some new bars on the bike. With the 1200c it was easy. four (4) allen head bolts. pull off cover/clamp. remove bars. set in new bars. adjust tighten. adjust tighten. rewire. done! To me it looks much more complicated on the LR. help!?!

Harleywashboy 06-20-2018 02:47 PM

It can't be that hard. Tons of Low Riders are running the MX type/lucky daves bars which have decent rise to them. I have two sets of factory street bob mini apes floating around somewhere, and they're both 10". I can't imagine harley made a different length wiring harness for street bob vs low rider.

I don't know if you have the regular or the S model, but I'm pretty sure the S is throttle by wire instead of the traditional throttle and idle cables, which adds some complexity. And I don't know how long you can go with the brake line since the dual disc brake line is 1 piece. I haven't searched, but there's bound to be a thread or 2 or 3 covering this topic in various levels of detail.

shodown220 06-20-2018 03:01 PM

I looked into it awhile back, you have to remove the bars/complicated riser setup, and the headlight visor, then remount the headlight as a bottom mount and get new risers and equipment plus the bars.

djKail 06-21-2018 12:43 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...48626ae478.jpg
As already mentioned, you will have to loose your risers, which has the headlight brow attached. I just sourced a regular bucket for a street Bob / wide glide and mounted it to the lower triple clamp.

Only other issue you will run into is the brake line. The line coming from the master reservoir is pressed into a block under the lower triple clamp. I went with magnum shielding as they have kits for this application. You have to replace the block, then order the length of line you need. Mine has ABS but I believe it's the same for non ABS.

carguy1959 06-22-2018 09:27 PM

I have a 17 Lowrider as well. I personally like mine the way they are. I wonder why you can’t just add mini apes to the current riser configuration? It would allow more adjustment and less changing things head light and such.

ebmike88 06-28-2018 10:22 AM

You are a GOD! That's the exact set-up I want! I have the exact same bike with the same paint job. What bars are those?!?!

ebmike88 06-28-2018 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by djKail (Post 17452598)
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...48626ae478.jpg
As already mentioned, you will have to loose your risers, which has the headlight brow attached. I just sourced a regular bucket for a street Bob / wide glide and mounted it to the lower triple clamp.

Only other issue you will run into is the brake line. The line coming from the master reservoir is pressed into a block under the lower triple clamp. I went with magnum shielding as they have kits for this application. You have to replace the block, then order the length of line you need. Mine has ABS but I believe it's the same for non ABS.

You are a GOD! That's the exact set-up I want! I have the exact same bike with the same paint job, my bike is the Non-ABS version though. What bars are those?!?! So thanks much for the Magnum Shielding, They have some really nice stuff!!!! What was this "brake block" that you mentioned? I can't seem to find it on their website. Were you able to stay with the original clutch and electrical?

ebmike88 06-28-2018 10:27 AM

you guys are great! thanks to all! Yes I figured it would be a complicated process because when I changed the buckhorns from my Xl1200c to the Mini apes it was literally just 4 allen bolts, open, remove, replace, tighten. But like I noticed and you all stated it's not as easy as that with this set-up. I may start to work on it soon before I go on vacation then finish it up afterwards.

djKail 06-28-2018 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ebmike88 (Post 17470298)
You are a GOD! That's the exact set-up I want! I have the exact same bike with the same paint job, my bike is the Non-ABS version though. What bars are those?!?! So thanks much for the Magnum Shielding, They have some really nice stuff!!!! What was this "brake block" that you mentioned? I can't seem to find it on their website. Were you able to stay with the original clutch and electrical?

See link below for the magnum shielding lower assembly that I used. It replaced the block under your lower triple clamp and allows you to order whichever length of cable you need up to your master reservoir. My bike is equipped with ABS so I'm not sure how different it is if your bike doesn't have ABS. Have a look under your lower triple clamp and see if there is a block there that the lines to the calipers connect to along with the master reservoir line. If the master reservoir line has a fitting you can just change it out. If it's pressed into the block like mine was you will need to replace everything. I'm 99% sure magnum shielding has the same system for non ABS applications.

https://www.magnumshielding.com/abslower-AS47006

The bars are Nash Motorcycle Midget Gimps with a 12" rise. They are designed to mate up with the narrow glide front ends but I think they look sharp on the dynas. The base of the bars is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in from the outer edge of the fork tubes.

Because I have ABS I paid a Harley tech to do the work after I sourced everything myself. I know clutch and throttle cables had to be replaced and im about 90% sure the electrical had to be extended.

ebmike88 06-28-2018 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by djKail (Post 17470393)
See link below for the magnum shielding lower assembly that I used. It replaced the block under your lower triple clamp and allows you to order whichever length of cable you need up to your master reservoir. My bike is equipped with ABS so I'm not sure how different it is if your bike doesn't have ABS. Have a look under your lower triple clamp and see if there is a block there that the lines to the calipers connect to along with the master reservoir line. If the master reservoir line has a fitting you can just change it out. If it's pressed into the block like mine was you will need to replace everything. I'm 99% sure magnum shielding has the same system for non ABS applications.

https://www.magnumshielding.com/abslower-AS47006

The bars are Nash Motorcycle Midget Gimps with a 12" rise. They are designed to mate up with the narrow glide front ends but I think they look sharp on the dynas. The base of the bars is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in from the outer edge of the fork tubes.

Because I have ABS I paid a Harley tech to do the work after I sourced everything myself. I know clutch and throttle cables had to be replaced and im about 90% sure the electrical had to be extended.

Thank you alot! Really! I have been wanting to start this project for quiet some time but I needed to speak to someone that had done it before to at least have some idea on how to move forward and you provided that! I'll try not to get the same bars are you haha but those are sweet looking (was going to get some Biltwell Mini Apes) and needed the size to reference all the other things I would have to change out. Once I get home today I'll def look for the brake block, hopefully I don't have it and it's an ABS thing so at least that'll save some time and money. I will get all the parts myself and pay Harley to do the work as well for "peace of mind" i know if something goes bad/wrong it'll be on them to fix it.

Thanks again! Once she's all put together and finished i'll def PM you what she looks like!