Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best fullface helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 04:55 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Best fullface helmet?

Thinking of switching back to a fullface. What do you think is the best fullface and why? Important to me would be obviously good protection, quite, all day comfort.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:35 PM
JBrock
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude the Bell Bullitt i have is amazing. Its comfortable, quiet, looks ****ing sick and the view it has lets me see over my shoulder. Best helmet ive ever had. Although it is an expensive helmet I got it for a great price from a buddy. that being said after using it for a few months I would pay full price for it. Just my opinion.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:58 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Coincidentally, today is my day off and I spent two hours in the Revzilla showroom trying on helmets. My last two helmets were the previous generation Bell Star Carbon, which I really loved. My last one was recently damaged in a track incident, so I'm helmet shopping. I don't think there is a single answer to your question. You really should find a dealer, or a place like Cycle Gear, or someplace that carries more than one brand where you can try stuff on. All of our heads are shaped differently, and the most important thing to make a helmet comfortable is to find one that matches your head shape. Every brand is shaped a little bit differently, and some offer different models aimed at different head shapes. In my case, the Bell Star line has been revamped since my last purchase, and they now feel totally different on my head. I tried on a whole bunch of brands, and each one really feels very different to wear. You really need to find a way to try stuff on. If you don't have a retailer close by, go to bunch of different bike dealers and see what they have. If you order something, make sure you choose a retailer with a really good return policy in case you end up with something that isn't completely comfortable.

Be careful about the opinion of others... Someone could give you a completely accurate review of a helmet they find super comfortable, and it may not fit your head shape at all.

https://fortnine.ca/en/how-to-fit-a-motorcycle-helmet/

The following 5 users liked this post by F86:
Kevin R (06-26-2018), Northern Cowboy (06-26-2018), Puglia10 (07-02-2018), Solospec (07-02-2018), Yamaharley (06-27-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 06:55 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Tarik nailed it. Gotta try them on. Fit greatly affects all other aspects. I spent several hours at a Cycle Gear trying on everything even remotely applicable. Out of maybe 24 helmets tried, I only found 2 or 3 that actually fit ME right. I tried FF and Modular in every price range under about $1000. Ended up with a Shoei Qwest. Loved it. Crashed it. Bought another.

I addition to the head shape, I also had issues with nose and chin fit. I found quite a few helmets that worked with 1 or 2 of the three areas, but only 2 stood out as working well all around, FOR ME.

Last edited by cggorman; 06-26-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:16 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cggorman
I addition to the head shape, I also had issues with nose and chin fit. I found quite a few helmets that worked with 1 or 2 of the three areas, but only 2 stood out as working well all around, FOR ME.
I had a very similar experience today. For example, one helmet that I really wanted to like had a chin bar that was just too close to my face. It basically rested on my mouth, although the rest of the helmet was perfect. I tried going up a size, and the front of my face felt really good... but I could slide my hand up the back of my head inside the helmet. It's a commitment to find the right one!

Like you, I had found the perfect helmet, crashed it, got another. Unfortunately, after the second crash that helmet was out of production...

Old 06-26-2018, 08:38 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Oh, and don't forget that many of the better brands will have different padding sizes/thicknesses that can be swapped out to tweak the fit. Say, like, cheek pads.

Once I found the right combination of bits, I was able to drop down a shell size.

That's another thing to maybe consider. Some models have just a couple outer shell sizes with different EPS liners to make up their various size offerings. Others have several different shells. Seems like some of the really expensive ones have a bespoke shell for every size.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:02 PM
pjbuilder
Cruiser
Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts

I really like my Shoei GT Air. Has decent, not great ventilation but what I like most is the drop-down internal sun visor. I wear glasses and with the visor no need to change from regular glasses to sunglasses. Fit was too snug in the cheeks but changed to next smaller cheek pads and now it's perfect. Has removable pads

for cleaning.

Don't live in a state with helmet law but wear it most of the time anyway. Also has speaker pockets and with detachable windshield can hear music clearly via bluetooth at most speeds under 50mph. Would definitely buy it again.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:27 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Shoei definitely has a huge range of interior fit options for most of their helmets.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:41 PM
Skogdog
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Intermediate oval: Schuberth C3--quietest helmet ever!

Old 06-27-2018, 12:25 AM
sparkalot
Road Warrior
Received 773 Likes on 346 Posts

As F86 said earlier , try on several.....that is the best advice....I currently have an Arai Signet X ......it fits my head shape...here is another link that discusses head shape https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcy...nternal-shape/

Quick Reply: Best fullface helmet?