Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DK Customs Oil FIlter Relocation FXDLS

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 08:42 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
...Here's why: As fluid moves from a larger diameter hose to a smaller diameter hose, the pressure of the fluid will decrease (Venturi effect) but increase in velocity (Bernoulli principle) due to conservation of energy. Once the fluid returns to the larger diameter hose it will return to the same pressure and velocity as it was before it entered the reduced diameter hose.

The physics is the same for the plumbing in your home.
.. or the wing of an airplane

Old 07-06-2018, 10:50 AM
Snickers#1948
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My aviation background would bring up another question for HD. If the smaller hose caused a restriction, what does all the SMALLER OIL PASSAGES IN THE INTERNAL ENGINE DO??

Old 07-08-2018, 12:45 PM
barricade
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone, looks like i'm still good to go on this mod. I wasn't too deflated by Harley's warning as I hadn't really seen any negatives regarding the mod. But, wanted to be careful of course. I may post up when it's done.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:02 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 331 Posts

Really no reason to have HD install it. The Dyna was super basic. Just get the in and out right with the hoses. The Bagger was a little more work cuz it mounts at the rear. The Dyna is maybe 12 inches of hose away from the motor. Very little is needed to install. Allen wrench, cutters and screwdriver. 1 hr tops.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:02 AM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
The hell they don't. Slap them with a lawsuit under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Don't roll over like a bullied kid.
Haha you make it sound so easy. You'd need very deep pockets to do this given the circumstances; lots more than any of our bikes are worth. And you'd probably lose.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Arseclown
Haha you make it sound so easy. You'd need very deep pockets to do this given the circumstances; lots more than any of our bikes are worth. And you'd probably lose.
It is easy for me.... no dealer works on my bike. I do ALL my own work. Well, there was one case... doing a 7/4 ride back in 2013, and my rear wheel bearings took a squeal right when I reached the parking lot at Yellowstone lake... managed to ride it 150 miles to the nearest dealer - had 1 month left on my extended warranty, was a weird feeling watching someone else work on my bike then test ride it (only other person ever to ride it)

If you're freaked out from the MoCo's threats, then keep paying the outrageous cost for parts and shop rates.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:48 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by barricade
Hey guys, wanted to get some feedback from people who have the DK Customs Oil Filter Relocation (or perhaps some other brand) to see how it's been going for you, what you think of it, or have there been any issues?

The reason I'm asking is that I already bought it and was about to have Harley put it on (they were already doing my 10k service) but they stopped and wanted to give me a warning that because the filter line is 1", the relocation lines are 3/4", meaning I would be restricting oil flow from 1" down to 3/4" and then back up to 1". Then warned that if my bike ever had oil pressure issues leading to damage, that Harley would probably not honor any warranty fix because of the relocation mod and the difference in oil pressure. With that warning I chose to hold off on doing the relocation to see what, if any, problems you folks may have had.

I know DK, you're on this forum sometimes so if you see this, I'd love your thoughts on this idea too!

Thanks all....

It is helpful to know:

The passageways that the oil flows through in the engine are very small compared to the hoses that HD uses on their oil coolers, which are the same size we use on our Dual Cool oil cooler and oil filter relocation. (the pipes (read bigger wire for a longer run, and there is no drop in voltage) are plenty large enough to accommodate the few feet)

HD oiling is a relatively low pressure set-up. 15-45 PSI. The pressure is not nearly as important as the flow. At an idle PSI is 15-20.

We have done extensive testing (as we do on all our products) of the oil filter relocation, both on the Twin Cam AND the M8's, BEFORE making them available.

There is NO drop OR increase in oil pressure with the Dual Cool Oil Cooler, or the Oil Filter Relocation on the M8's or Twin Cams.

Additionally, there is no perceptible increase of a load on the oil pump with either of the products.

On a dyno this was fairly easy to test. Some pulls without the Cooler or filter relocation, then some pulls with it. If it were putting a load on the pump we would see it.

When we tested different oil filters, some of them are more difficult to push the oil thru the filtering media...those put more load on the oil pump, and we saw it on the dyno.

Most folks that work in the service dept of an HD dealership, may be well intentioned, but do not seem to have basic mechanical common sense. It is a said state of affairs.

I run an oil filter relocation on all my bikes....and because I know that HD can be sketchy on honoring their warranty, if I have a warranty problem that is engine related, I will take the 30 minutes to remove it before taking it in for a warranty claim.

Unlike exhaust, or some other mods, the oil filter relocation is very easy to remove, taking a screw driver, an allen wrench, and an open end wrench.

While we have thousands of Twin Cams running the oil filter relocation, we only have a few hundred M8's so far. But there are enough that are running them with no issues, that anyone that wants healthier, cooler engine & oil along with easier oil changes, should feel comfortable with it.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 07-09-2018 at 03:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
barricade (07-11-2018), Jay Guild (07-11-2018)