Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DK Customs Oil FIlter Relocation FXDLS

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 02:24 PM
barricade
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DK Customs Oil FIlter Relocation FXDLS

Hey guys, wanted to get some feedback from people who have the DK Customs Oil Filter Relocation (or perhaps some other brand) to see how it's been going for you, what you think of it, or have there been any issues?

The reason I'm asking is that I already bought it and was about to have Harley put it on (they were already doing my 10k service) but they stopped and wanted to give me a warning that because the filter line is 1", the relocation lines are 3/4", meaning I would be restricting oil flow from 1" down to 3/4" and then back up to 1". Then warned that if my bike ever had oil pressure issues leading to damage, that Harley would probably not honor any warranty fix because of the relocation mod and the difference in oil pressure. With that warning I chose to hold off on doing the relocation to see what, if any, problems you folks may have had.

I know DK, you're on this forum sometimes so if you see this, I'd love your thoughts on this idea too!

Thanks all....

Old 07-04-2018, 03:52 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

They (HD) would have to PROVE that the damage was done by "restricted" oil flow.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:07 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

I've done this mod. I also have had an oil pressure gauge on my ride since before the mod was done, (last year). There have been no issues and no discernible increases in oil pressure readings. Highest readings are seen on cold starts and are just below 40 psi. This has been the case since the gauge was installed and is pretty normal as far as I know. Oil pressure, of course, drops dramatically (at idle), as oil reaches operating temp which again is normal.

DK sells great products and they aren't the only outfit selling relocation kits. There are also many oil coolers on the market and secondary filters to be had too. All this stuff uses similar sized hoses, fittings (even smaller) and adapters and you don't hear of any horror stories. I'm only guessing but I expect there is a greater pressure differential across the filter element than there would be across a couple of feet of 3/4" hose.

Last edited by HKMark23; 07-04-2018 at 04:19 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by HKMark23:
barricade (07-04-2018), DK Custom - ST (07-06-2018), grouchy (07-07-2018), TinCupChalice (07-06-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 04:50 PM
k-weaver
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
They (HD) would have to PROVE that the damage was done by "restricted" oil flow.
No, they don't. They can take one look at it and say you modified the oil system, we warned you not to, warranty voided. I know a guy whose switches stopped working. Bike under warranty, dealer inspected and said there is corrosion build up on the contacts. But...you have after market bars, so warranty is void. They don't have to prove anything, once you modify a part they can toss the warranty aside and tell you to take a hike.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:50 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 331 Posts

Ive done it both to my LRS and my Bagger. Great mod and hated the hassle of the stock oil filter and replacement clean up.

Haha, doesnt surprise me. Zero issues here. Honestly the thought of the stock pump not being able to supply enough oil because of this setup is silly. Harley techs.... But...... Regardless..... A mod is a mod..... Ive never done any warranty on my bikes n cars for the fact is I mod immediately after purchase. Gonna play, gonna pay. If u cant handle it, leave it stock for a long time..... Harley will weasel outta warranty claim however they can, even if its poking at this setup.

Aside from HDs BS..... Its a great mod and I have nothing but GREAT kudos to their stuff n people. DK makes great stuff, have alot on both bikes.

The following 2 users liked this post by Highwaymans:
barricade (07-06-2018), DK Custom - ST (07-06-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 07:28 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by barricade
Hey guys, wanted to get some feedback .
Great post and responses.
Here's some truth. If Dk's or any other filter relocation kit was bad or in any way caused harm. We'd know it. Not just here but on every forum out there.
Personally, I've considered filter relocation kit's,, I think their cool. But in all truth it's just another gimmick to get your money.
It's not all that big a deal to take care, minimize the mess and/or clean up after an oil change.

Your mistake is asking your dealer install it,, then having a lame "warranty" discussion about line sizes instead of filters,,
,,and/or being confused by the dealers comments.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:36 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by k-weaver
No, they don't. They can take one look at it and say you modified the oil system, we warned you not to, warranty voided. I know a guy whose switches stopped working. Bike under warranty, dealer inspected and said there is corrosion build up on the contacts. But...you have after market bars, so warranty is void. They don't have to prove anything, once you modify a part they can toss the warranty aside and tell you to take a hike.
The hell they don't. Slap them with a lawsuit under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Don't roll over like a bullied kid.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:19 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

I did the mod on my 01, and so fat no worries. It is running a little bit cooler than before. And oil changes will be less messy now.

The following users liked this post:
barricade (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 06:34 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

My experiences have been the same as HKMark23's; I also have an oil pressure gauge and there was zero change in oil pressure readings pre and post oil filter relocation install. Also, my relocation is plumbed in series with a Jagg low mount oil cooler, and I'm using a PCS4C permanent oil filter.

Barricade, that HD dealer is blowing smoke; you can do the relocation yourself without too many issues, and if you have a problem there are many here on the forum that have already installed either the DK Custom or the 3Guyz relocations who can provide plenty of information.

And as far as the 'warranty' on an HD? I've always figured if the mothership can find a way to weasel out, they will. Make your ride your own

The following users liked this post:
barricade (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 08:19 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

The 1/4" change in the diameter of the relocation hoses would cause a minute change in the oil pressure ONLY in the relocation hoses itself, NOT the entire system. The pressure at the oil gauge will not reflect the pressure change.

Here's why: As fluid moves from a larger diameter hose to a smaller diameter hose, the pressure of the fluid will decrease (Venturi effect) but increase in velocity (Bernoulli principle) due to conservation of energy. Once the fluid returns to the larger diameter hose it will return to the same pressure and velocity as it was before it entered the reduced diameter hose.

The physics is the same for the plumbing in your home.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bone Doc:
barricade (07-06-2018), JayStronghawk (07-10-2018)

Quick Reply: DK Customs Oil FIlter Relocation FXDLS