Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thrashin vs RR3 vs Fab28

Old 07-15-2018, 12:47 AM
Falz
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thrashin vs RR3 vs Fab28

This is going on a Low S with cams (may be getting one with the 117). The order of importance is:

1. Performance - which one is the best here for my application?

2. Ground clearance - I want to lean this thing and I used to have issues scraping pipe with my TH on my old bike

3. Sound - looking for that TH rumble. Can’t stand tinny sounds and don’t want it to sound like a sport bike

Here’s my thoughts/questions so far:

Does the RR3 suffer clearance due to the double stack design?

Is there any difference between the Lutzka and the RR3? I also heard somewhere the Thrashin is made by bassani?

I loved the sound of my thunderheader exhaust on my old dyna - sounds to me like the Thrashin and RR3 resemble that the most? Fab28 sounded ok but kind of muted on YouTube

Love the looks of all three but Fab28 prob the most and Thrashin close second.

Fab28 is almost double the price which is a concern... worth it? If so why?

So so far the Thrashin seems like a good balance of everything.

any input, advice, experience appreciated.

Last edited by Falz; 07-15-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:33 AM
bucket13
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I've run Thunderheaders on 2 of my last bikes, 1 of them being my 09 FXDL. Loved the power and sound but was unimpressed with the finish and quality.

For my 17 FXDLS I decided to drop a little more $ and go with FAB28, I've heard nothing but great things about the pipe and the company. Yes, it is crazy pricey but I really like the fact that it is a small independent company and that each pipe is hand made ... expecting a higher level of quality control. Another deciding factor was how they designed the pipe to exit the rear cylinder and run parallel to the pipe exiting the front cylinder..... it may not contribute to any power gains but I love the symmetry.

My dealership actually reached out to FAB28 and became an authorized dealer for me, so that I could have them order and install it ..... I'm trying to avoid any potential future warranty issues. I'll keep you posted when they come in.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:59 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

With stock FXDX suspension (rear shocks are around 13.5"), my RR3 has never touched the ground. I still have small chicken strips on my rear Avon Cobra, but it's seen some decent lean angles. The toe of my boot hits the ground way before the pipe would. The "stacked" design keeps it tucked in tightly, so it really doesn't seem to get close to the ground at all.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:36 AM
Falz
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bucket13
I've run Thunderheaders on 2 of my last bikes, 1 of them being my 09 FXDL. Loved the power and sound but was unimpressed with the finish and quality.

For my 17 FXDLS I decided to drop a little more $ and go with FAB28, I've heard nothing but great things about the pipe and the company. Yes, it is crazy pricey but I really like the fact that it is a small independent company and that each pipe is hand made ... expecting a higher level of quality control. Another deciding factor was how they designed the pipe to exit the rear cylinder and run parallel to the pipe exiting the front cylinder..... it may not contribute to any power gains but I love the symmetry.

My dealership actually reached out to FAB28 and became an authorized dealer for me, so that I could have them order and install it ..... I'm trying to avoid any potential future warranty issues. I'll keep you posted when they come in.

Good luck with your decision.
I wish you already had it and could compare the sound of the Fab28 to the TH. The price and sound are the only two things holding me back at this point

The following users liked this post:
bucket13 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 09:40 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Falz

I wish you already had it and could compare the sound of the Fab28 to the TH. The price and sound are the only two things holding me back at this point

doesn't sound like the t-header, but nothing does really.

The following users liked this post:
nick@nite (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 08:20 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

None of those will sound like a TH. As for quality TH have come a long way. Had mine ceramic coated by jet hot this is third season still looks fine. The short pipes will bring Exhaust note loud and loud especially on Highways. The look of the Fab,RR, and thrashin are Killer the stainless especially.
But sound goes to TH all the way. Performance-on my bike is right there with the TH.

Last edited by nick@nite; 07-15-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:20 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

If you really want a high quality Thunderheader, look at Red Thunder.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:41 AM
brasher
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Have the RR3, been very impressed with it. Makes the numbers as far as flow. Nice deep burble around town and when you open it up it wakes the dead.

I have 13.5 inch ohlins and if I tipped it over far enough to scrape the pipe I dare say the bike wont be connected to my body anymore put it that way. Doesn't get close.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:58 AM
DVFXDB
Stage IV

Following this thread, as I have narrowed my choices to these three as well. Really like the Fab 28, but sadly they don't ship to Canada.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:10 AM
Rollcage
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Red thunder

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thrashin vs RR3 vs Fab28