Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mobil 1 V-Twin Oil 20W-50

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 11:16 AM
tcazes
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

looking currently when i get the notification you responded to this lol

Old 07-19-2018, 10:59 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Over 73k miles on her, and she's had Mobil 1 Vtwin 20w/50 since the 1000 mile service. Mobil 1 or Valvoline synth gear lube 75 or 90/140 for the tranny depending on winter/summer, and same that goes in the engine goes in the primary. No issue with 'friction modifiers'.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:44 AM
ricklee4570
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Royal Purple was a surprise. Did not rank nearly as high as most would expect.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:30 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Napa 15w50 full Syn, cheap and made by Valvoline/ Ashland... any syn 75w90 in trans and Redline primary in the primary. Only use the Redline because Barnett recommended it with my new clutch.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:54 AM
tcazes
Tourer

Originally Posted by ricklee4570
Royal Purple was a surprise. Did not rank nearly as high as most would expect.
you have to remember...royal purple surely isnt what it used to be. ever since the management change, there was a formula change as well.. i used to LOVE that stuff for high performance outboard engines and high revving motors but now its just not up to par it seems.....

Old 07-20-2018, 08:10 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by tcazes
you have to remember...royal purple surely isnt what it used to be. ever since the management change, there was a formula change as well.. i used to LOVE that stuff for high performance outboard engines and high revving motors but now its just not up to par it seems.....
The chemical plant I work at uses Royal Purple on everything from weed eaters, forklifts, to multi million dollar machinery ... and has since the late 80s. The guy who made that change swears by it after seeing equipment last much longer than it should and with minimal wear than stuff running conventional oil.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:12 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Thing to concern yourself most concerning which oil to use is flashpoint. That is the temp where the oil breaks down. Dino oils cannot compare with even semi synthetics, and they cannot compare with full synthetics. Last I checked, Harley Syn3 is a semi synthetic. Ever wondered why they recommend filling it to a 1/2 qt low when changing your oil? Thats because the oil foams, or expands during use. Full syns do not. Dino oil works, has for years, but it breaks down at closer to operating temps of our V Twins.

I went from Syn3 to Mobil One V Twin and noticed, when hot, less motor noise and less accumulation on the magnetic oil plug. I tried Amsoil for ***** n giggles and experienced even less of both noise and garbage on the magnet, and here Amsoil is only a dollar or so more expensive as well as available at the parts store.

Motor oil is the V Twins lifeblood. Not only does it lubricate but it also carries the heat away from the hotspots. Choose what you use wisely.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:24 AM
ricklee4570
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Thing to concern yourself most concerning which oil to use is flashpoint. That is the temp where the oil breaks down. Dino oils cannot compare with even semi synthetics, and they cannot compare with full synthetics. Last I checked, Harley Syn3 is a semi synthetic. Ever wondered why they recommend filling it to a 1/2 qt low when changing your oil? Thats because the oil foams, or expands during use. Full syns do not. Dino oil works, has for years, but it breaks down at closer to operating temps of our V Twins.

I went from Syn3 to Mobil One V Twin and noticed, when hot, less motor noise and less accumulation on the magnetic oil plug. I tried Amsoil for ***** n giggles and experienced even less of both noise and garbage on the magnet, and here Amsoil is only a dollar or so more expensive as well as available at the parts store.

Motor oil is the V Twins lifeblood. Not only does it lubricate but it also carries the heat away from the hotspots. Choose what you use wisely.
I use Mobile One V-Twin 20W50 and my oil level rises when hot. Cold it is about 1/4 inch below full on dipstick. After a long freeway run, it will be about 1/4 inch above the full line. So it must expand.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:25 AM
tcazes
Tourer

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
The chemical plant I work at uses Royal Purple on everything from weed eaters, forklifts, to multi million dollar machinery ... and has since the late 80s. The guy who made that change swears by it after seeing equipment last much longer than it should and with minimal wear than stuff running conventional oil.

Yeaaa I'd just chalk that up to synthetic vs conventional oil

Old 07-20-2018, 09:58 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ricklee4570
I use Mobile One V-Twin 20W50 and my oil level rises when hot. Cold it is about 1/4 inch below full on dipstick. After a long freeway run, it will be about 1/4 inch above the full line. So it must expand.
Odd that wasn't what I experienced.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 V-Twin Oil 20W-50