Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

External Breather Bolts w/ AN Big sucker

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 03:57 PM
WildPhrog
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default External Breather Bolts w/ AN Big sucker

I'm thinking about installing some external breather bolts that vent straight to the air (w/o a collector or filter hose assembly) on my 2017 Street Bob (103ci TC). The problem I'm running into is that I'm currently running an AN big sucker, which I want to keep, and am having a tough time finding breather bolts that are long enough to run thru the big sucker back plate and into the engine. I'm trying to avoid replacing the whole air cleaner assembly or doing any cutting to the existing back plate.

I found some Twin Cam compatible bolts from Seven Sins Choppers (pic attached) that I can get in either a 2" or 2.5" length which look like they could work, but does anyone know how far into the engine the bolt needs to thread in order to be "happy"...? I'm worried that the 2" length is only going to give me about a half inch of threads into the engine, while the 2.5" bolts will be about 1/4" longer than what I'm currently running with the AN big sucker hardware (most hardware seems like about 3/4" of threading screws into the engine).

Has anyone tried a similar set up with any success? Also, will just running a straight breather bolt through the big sucker back plate (I know it has its internal passages) cause any issues?

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-06-2018, 04:42 PM
sporty79
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The engineering rule of thumb is you want at least 1 diameter of thread engagement. So, 1/2" depth for 1/2" bolts. That is generally enough to develop the strength of the fastener (meaning the bolt will fail before the threads do).

Also, there are a few threads about adding external breathers. Most recommend blocking off the internal passages.

Last edited by sporty79; 08-06-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:50 PM
brasher
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

If your bike is a puker really consider catching the mist. I ran external breathers on my old sporty and ruined a lot of pants haha.

I'm running a horseshoe type arrangement now on my Dyna with a small breathable element, give it a wash out every oil change and life is good. It tucks up behind the AC itself.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:34 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

Generally the consensus is with the AN Big sucker (which I had one of) is to plug the existing vent holes and create your own. All you need is to drill and tap a hole for a fitting then run the hose anywhere you want.

i would check out DK Customs website, they have a whole section devoted to external breathers....and can help with the big sucker conversation.

The following 2 users liked this post by crusader1xxx:
DK Custom - ST (08-07-2018), RoeblingNYC (07-14-2021)
Old 08-06-2018, 07:17 PM
fxrnutt
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep like I said above plug the holes with some good ultra black rtv and drill and tap em to a external breathing system....dk customs has kits

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (08-08-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 07:59 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

I had the Ness and did the external breather. I would definitely be concerned about oil on your clothes if you go with those bolts. Here's a short vid of what I did.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:34 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,013 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by sporty79
The engineering rule of thumb is you want at least 1 diameter of thread engagement. So, 1/2" depth for 1/2" bolts. That is generally enough to develop the strength of the fastener (meaning the bolt will fail before the threads do).

Also, there are a few threads about adding external breathers. Most recommend blocking off the internal passages.
1 diameter is for steel bolts in steel not aluminum.....1 1/2 to 2 times diameter for aluminum

Old 08-07-2018, 09:07 AM
WildPhrog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by crusader1xxx
Generally the consensus is with the AN Big sucker (which I had one of) is to plug the existing vent holes and create your own. All you need is to drill and tap a hole for a fitting then run the hose anywhere you want.

i would check out DK Customs website, they have a whole section devoted to external breathers....and can help with the big sucker conversation.
I’ll have to look more closely at the DK Customs stuff...I’m a big fan of their mods. It was actually browsing on their site where I started going down this rabbit hole. Thanks!

The following 2 users liked this post by WildPhrog:
1Dyna03 (03-20-2021), DK Custom - ST (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 09:10 AM
WildPhrog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
I had the Ness and did the external breather. I would definitely be concerned about oil on your clothes if you go with those bolts. Here's a short vid of what I did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRJIrr7Nt4s
Thanks man...yeah I was hoping to stay away from the complete breather set up, but it may be the best option. I might give the bolts a shot just to see how much oil she spits out, but ultimately I want to make sure it’s a good setup that’s healthy for the engine.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:10 AM
WildPhrog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Blue Bob
1 diameter is for steel bolts in steel not aluminum.....1 1/2 to 2 times diameter for aluminum
Cool...thanks to both you guys, I never knew the rule of thumb!

Quick Reply: External Breather Bolts w/ AN Big sucker