Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 FXDF project

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 09:12 PM
5mel4
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice find! While you are into the primary, and with the inner case removed would you do me a favour and grab your mainshaft and see how much radial play you have? I have the same bike and I'm trying to track down a noise coming from the primary, but I don't know what normal play is and what is abnormal. Mainshaft is smooth, no rough bearings with hand rotation , but that is without the weight of the clutch and without the tensioner.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:26 AM
Shop rag
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Been a busy week but the bike is back together put it on dyno yesterday. H D Pilot , getting rid of the compensator and going to the sprocket up front doesn't cause any problems and is a popular modification. Most customers say they can't tell much difference in the ride but may be a tad noisier at idle. Once somebody has to replace a compensator they usually don't want to go back. Especially if they aren't doing the work themselves. No matter the brand of compensator these days they wear out a lot. It also helps some bikes with larger motors crank better. I am going for reliability first and performance second so for me it made sense to ditch the compensator.
The primary has been freshened up and should be GTG for a while. Tuned it with the Power Vision software and corrected the speedo from the 30T pulley change. It was off on the high side by almost 5 MPH. Ready for fall as the dyno room is a tad moist this time of year. Going to put some road under the bike today as I'm headed east towards the coast for seafood and beer. I will let you know how it runs.
Next area of attention will be the front motor mount. Bike has more vibration than it should. Motor work,bars and tires are on the horizon. 103 or 107 upgrade...Hmmmm
Have a great weekend and some great rides everyone.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:40 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

Interested in hearing how you cure the vibration, if you can. Been fighting the same prob. for a year, done a dozen things, no luck. I too, have an 09 FXDF.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:12 PM
Shop rag
Advanced

Huggerbugger, what have you tried? Put 150 miles of bike today and it runs fine at highway speeds. Vibration is at lower speeds and idle with mine.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:57 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior

It would be easier to list what I haven't tried. Taking it over to the Indy next week to check the cam timing. Next is to check the top end. Mine vibrates so bad I don't even ride it.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:22 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,866 Likes on 8,236 Posts

Very interesting, indeed.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:39 AM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior

Had a loud bang when cranking once, theorizing that it may have jumped the timing chain.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:41 AM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior

If you Google "Dyna vibration" you'll find a lot of owners have had the problem, while vitrually all mechanics say "Normal". Frustrating.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:50 PM
Shop rag
Advanced

Getting to know the bike more and more each day as I ride to and from work. Lucky to have some decent roads with good curves and straights for evaluation of its handling characteristics. Have no wobbles or handling issues so far. Some areas that need some attention is the neck bearing and front brake rotors. Front motor mount is done but the UPS is bringing me some new parts. One of which arrived today.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:07 PM
Shop rag
Advanced

Predator front motor mount and Sputhe rear stabilizer install day. Heavy traffic on the ride home but WOW ! The Predator made IMO a 70 % improvement in the vibrations of this bike. Using the mirrors at 55 MPH..... WTF !!! Really a marked improvement. Dynas vibrate and buzz, but my motor mount was toast. As for the Sputhe rear stabilizer I really couldn't push the bike hard enough to tell much this afternoon. Overall install was pretty straight forward on both. The Sputhe directions really didn't help much.

The following 3 users liked this post by Shop rag:
JW1200 (08-21-2018), sparkalot (09-07-2018), Tall Timber (08-21-2018)

Quick Reply: 2009 FXDF project