Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Dyna Low Rider Fluid Capacities

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 05:41 AM
ludville1
Tourer
Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 2016 Dyna Low Rider Fluid Capacities

The owner's manual lists: engine oil 3 qts., primary 1 qt., and transmission at 1 qt. Engine oil 3 qts. with new filter? What are the actual amounts that you guys are seeing when doing the 3 hole service? Thanks!

Old 03-23-2017, 05:45 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts
Old 03-23-2017, 06:13 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr

Ayup

ludville1, one quart in the primary; done. Now, when it comes to the engine and transmission don't think in terms of capacity, but rather think in terms of filling to the stick.

On my transmission that equates to around 30 ounces of gear lubricant, and on the engine just under 2 quarts; I'm using a permanent oil filter so I use a bit less engine oil, no paper to absorb oil.

HD conveniently gave us dipsticks to use instead of foolish sight glasses, trust the stick when you do your engine and transmission.

My understanding is the new owner's manuals now list 3 quarts of engine oil with a new filter; it always was 2.5 quarts w/filter on a wet fill in the past. I don't know why the change, but a 3 quart wet fill is going to end up overfilled; trust the stick to give you the correct amount

The following users liked this post:
ludville1 (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 06:41 AM
ludville1
Tourer
Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Tin Cup thanks! Sounds like the way to go. New to Harleys, but have had motorcyles all of my life. I have always done the first oil and filter change at 500 miles, and will probably stick with that. I bought the bike last Friday, and will probably have it delivered next week.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:01 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I go to the dip stick for engine and tranny as well. My measurements are about the same as TinCup.

For my 2016 LR with new oil filter (K&N each time). 1 quart primary, 1 quart trans, and just under 2 quarts for the engine. That will hit the top of my dipstick which means that I will get a little blow by coming out of the air cleaner, but it's never enough to notice until I clean my air filter and I notice a small oil stain on the bottom of the filter.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:03 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by ludville1
Tin Cup thanks! Sounds like the way to go. New to Harleys, but have had motorcyles all of my life. I have always done the first oil and filter change at 500 miles, and will probably stick with that. I bought the bike last Friday, and will probably have it delivered next week.
I've had HD's and sport bikes in the garage at the same time and learned to despise the sight glass used on sport bikes; with the HD dipsticks you can be accurate.

You're going to love your new ride; I'm a bit more over the top on new bikes and change all fluids at 20 miles on the ODO and then frequent fluid changes during the first 1k to be certain any residual schmutz is removed quickly.

I'm going to leave this here for your consideration http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Old 03-23-2017, 08:17 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Mine runs out the bottom so fast that I just pour in six quarts to be safe.

(kidding. Just kidding!)

Old 03-23-2017, 08:19 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Yeah Im at 2qts on motor taking it right to the top of the stick. Anything more and its over-filled. Ive gone a smidge over the full and still dont get a whole lot of blow-by probably due to venting to atmosphere.
I think theres at least a half quart of dirty oil still in the motor after a drain. I dont know if the newer motors are still using sumps, but that would substantiate that. Any input on that?

Old 03-23-2017, 09:40 AM
danhahn
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

I dump in 3 qts. with a filter change. Never had a problem.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:44 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by danhahn
I dump in 3 qts. with a filter change. Never had a problem.
What ??

Quick Reply: 2016 Dyna Low Rider Fluid Capacities