Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 fxdr

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 11:50 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by JekyllnHyde
Sometimes a bike manufacturer will build a bike to make a statement to give people something to talk about.
"Halo" models. Pretty common with auto manufacturers. The top line performance cars from all the major marquees are sold in miniscule numbers but they're all anybody talks about in the press. Many are even sold at a loss. The normal consumers buy the more affordable (and profitable) models because the hype from the Halos drew them in. At least in theory.

Ferarri LaFerarri
Porsche 918
McLaren Senna
Ford GT
Chevy ZL/ZO/ZR
Dodge Demon
Etc.

What confuses me about many of the comments above is...how does the presence of the FXDR take anything AWAY from, say, the Heritage? Isn't adding more diversity to the lineup a good thing...regardless of how you or I feel about a particular model? I don't like and would never buy a Road Glide, but it didn't affect my desire to get a Dyna... <Shrug>

Last edited by cggorman; 09-02-2018 at 11:52 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cggorman:
danhahn (09-25-2018), GREENOHAWK69 (09-20-2018), JekyllnHyde (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 12:30 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
"Halo" models. Pretty common with auto manufacturers. The top line performance cars from all the major marquees are sold in miniscule numbers but they're all anybody talks about in the press. Many are even sold at a loss. The normal consumers buy the more affordable (and profitable) models because the hype from the Halos drew them in. At least in theory.

Ferarri LaFerarri
Porsche 918
McLaren Senna
Ford GT
Chevy ZL/ZO/ZR
Dodge Demon
Etc.
And the R8, the only one of this batch that I have extensive seat time in (although I did spend 30 minutes in a 918, but no driving. It was being prepped prior to sale, and I was able to sit in it, start it, play with all the menus and controls... It would've taken longer than that to feel comfortable enough with everything to actually drive it, not that I could've anyway).

It's a strategy that can work, much like racing programs. When I was a kid, I loved the TransAm Camaros (even though they were a few years past contemporary at the time.) When I could afford my first car, I bought a $500 '70 Camaro. When I could afford to buy something new (something I haven't done much: 2 trucks, 1 bike), I went to the Chevy store and ordered a truck. I didn't test drive anything, I didn't care if the Ford might be "better." That racing program made an emotional fan. Halo cars can do the same.

What confuses me about many of the comments above is...how does the presence of the FXDR take anything AWAY from, say, the Heritage? Isn't adding more diversity to the lineup a good thing...regardless of how you or I feel about a particular model? I don't like and would never buy a Road Glide, but it didn't affect my desire to get a Dyna... <Shrug>
Exactly! Like I said in the "other" thread about the same topic:

"I dunno... It seems like Harley's plan is that over the next 2 to 5 years their lineup could consist of the following:

-Traditional cruiser style bikes based on the new Softail frame
-Premium touring bikes
-"Power Cruisers" like the FXDR
-Middleweight streetfighters
-Full size adventure bike
-Viable electric offerings

If they find a way to add more "cool factor" to the Street platform, that could fit in well (Naked? Cafe? Bobber?).

It doesn't sound like a terrible plan to me... But execution of course will be everything."

I'm glad they're looking in different directions! And I haven't seen ANYTHING in the press about HD stopping building bikes in the more "traditional" cruiser style! I know the twin shocks are missed, but look at the "Softail Family" section on the official website... It's loaded with "Harley looking" Harleys!

Last edited by F86; 09-02-2018 at 12:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by F86:
crusader1xxx (09-02-2018), Jay Guild (09-05-2018), shorelasHD (09-02-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 10:42 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Got a real close look at the FXDR yesterday. It was sitting right next to a 114 Fat Bob. Gotta say, the FXDR is a sharp bike and it makes the Bob look frumpy. Lots of really nice details.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:48 AM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 757 Likes on 404 Posts

Was super excited to demo one a few weeks ago. Knew before I left the parking lot I was not a fan. Continued on my demo and 10 minutes in my back was hurting, its not a comfortable bike to ride, at least not for me. Finished my demo, stepped off and walked away. Not my cup of tea. The big thing that bothers me is the turn signals are plastic and so is the intake. Lot of metric styling to me honestly. But I could forgive that if it was a blast to ride and it just wasn't. Even my buddy who is a completely different body type and height came off of it very disappointed. Its quick though!

Old 09-20-2018, 10:50 AM
shodown220
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by brasher
Sport glide is fantastic. If for some reason my dyna was written off or stolen I'd be getting on of those.

But replace the goofy fairing.
agreed! Absolutely loved the sport glide after riding one!

Old 09-20-2018, 10:52 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Yeah, the turn signals are pretty bad but DOT regulations make that hard to work around. The aftermarket will fix that.

It looks like a lot of the likely mods were anticipated by the designers. Should be pretty easy to do fenders, signals, plate holder, etc.

I wanted to sit on them both but the salesman was hovering and it made me feel awkward since I have zero intention of buying. I was just there for a $50 part.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:56 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior

Yeah, the turn signals are pretty bad but DOT regulations make that hard to work around. The aftermarket will fix that.

It looks like a lot of the likely mods were anticipated by the designers. Should be pretty easy to do fenders, signals, plate holder, etc.

I wanted to sit on them both but the salesman was hovering and it made me feel awkward since I have zero intention of buying. I was just there for a $50 part.
I sat on one at bike night and thought it felt fine, wasn't until I was riding it that the seating position was really bothering me. It may just be the way I fit on it but my buddy who is 50 lbs slimmer and 6 inches taller didn't like it either.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:01 PM
k-weaver
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdx1985
It’s got “FXD” in the name
so it’s a Dyna, dammit! I’m sure the mods will move this, but let’s hear what the “performance Dyna” crowd thinks.
Rear tire too fat, wheel base too long, and too much rake. A properly setup Dyna will kill this bike all day long. Performance to me isn't about power, its how fast you can take a corner. A stock 80" EVO in a properly setup (suspension) Dyna/FXR would outperform this bike in the canyons.

I wish Harley would release a true performance bike. What the FXR was years ago. With the current lineup i'd rather drop 20k on a built FXR then buy a new bike. I'll hold onto my Dyna for now. I am however excited to see what comes out next. HD is at least trying and i have high hopes they can nail it with one of the future releases.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:30 PM
rrhemi
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by k-weaver
Rear tire too fat, wheel base too long, and too much rake. A properly setup Dyna will kill this bike all day long. Performance to me isn't about power, its how fast you can take a corner. A stock 80" EVO in a properly setup (suspension) Dyna/FXR would outperform this bike in the canyons.

I wish Harley would release a true performance bike. What the FXR was years ago. With the current lineup i'd rather drop 20k on a built FXR then buy a new bike. I'll hold onto my Dyna for now. I am however excited to see what comes out next. HD is at least trying and i have high hopes they can nail it with one of the future releases.
I rode the FXDR, not flickable like the Fat Bob but this bike handles very well, it actually falls into a turn, much unlike the Fat boy or Breakout.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:39 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Something like... Polishing a turd comes to mind....

Just not an attractive Cafe bike.

Quick Reply: 2019 fxdr