Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   2006 Dyna Died while riding? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/1250799-2006-dyna-died-while-riding.html)

hAkron 08-28-2018 10:08 PM

2006 Dyna Died while riding?

My Dyna died on the highway today. It’s for sure an electrical issue. It’s acting like a bad batter. I just got it towed home so I haven’t started troubleshooting yet. Could it be a bad stator? I pulled the stator roter a few years ago while I had the primary apart for other stuff (IPB and switching back to mid mount controls) and I had a guy weld the bolts, so I don’t expect it to be a chewed up stator (as can happen with the unmodified ‘06 dynas), but before I get into the primary, what is a realistic lifespan on a stator? I have less than 20k miles on this particular bike.

other things I’ll check are the battery (but doubtful since the bike died in motion) and look for anything shorting out.

Any advice is welcome.

OldEnuf2NoBtr 08-29-2018 01:58 AM

HD had a known issue with the ignition switches on those model bikes. I'd start with that.

hAkron 08-29-2018 12:01 PM

I had the battery on a trickle charger all night and it's still flashing, so the battery doesn't seem to be taking a charge. When I turn the key, I get lights, but hitting the starter button just gives me a little bit of chatter from the starter motor and that's it. This battery is only 2 years old, but I got it from Autozone, and I hear their batteries are not the best.

After that, I'll check the voltage regulator, stator, and the ignition switch and see what's what.

nevil 08-29-2018 12:32 PM

The battery sounds like its toast. Put a DVM on the terminals and see what the reading is. The best thing would be to get it load tested and if it fails get a new one. When you install the new one check the connection of the ground cable. In fact, check the ground connection first, it could be the problem.

hAkron 09-04-2018 09:45 AM

There was some corrosion on the positive battery cable. Once I got the battery out of the bike, it started charging just fine. I'd already bought a new battery, and so I installed it in the bike. I'm suspicious about the AutoZone Battery, which is only 2 years old, but just in case. The new battery is working fine. My Dakota Digital speedo has a volt meter on it. I left the bike 'on' (headlight on, but engine off) and watched the battery draw down for a little bit, then I started the engine and it go back up to 13.3, so it looks like that charging system is functional.

seniorsuperglideE8 09-04-2018 12:22 PM

As a rule of thumb, prior to a new battery going into my any of my bikes I put an overnight charge on it using my smart tender charger. Harleys electrics run on the batteries any time you are operating the bike, the charging system tries to maintain the batteries full charge thru the regulator. Start your bike after completing a full charge then test the voltage out put to the battery while the bike is running, the voltage should be 14.2-14.5v .