Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Awesome fast ride on Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 01:20 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts
Default Awesome fast ride on Sunday

This past Sunday I went out with three of my sportbike friends. I really like riding with these guys... Everyone is a little bit... mature? They're all skilled riders with track experience, no one is reckless (no wheelies, dumb passing, crowding each other, speeding in residential areas, etc), but we all enjoy a strong pace when the road is open (I guess you could say that's reckless in itself, but we are respectful). Due to everyone's "life" stuff, we don't get out together often enough. This was the first time this year. Our route through PA coal country was beautiful:

When I got home, my odometer showed 283 miles for the day. That was the most I've done in awhile. I have a Triumph Speed Triple with low bars and rearsets that I would usually ride on a day like this, but due to some comfort concerns I thought it best to take the Harley this time (something really painful is going on in my hip... Arthritis or bursitis). In honor of the types of roads we were riding, I changed out my usual Black Sabbath A/C cover for something more appropriate:

The other three bikes were a pair of BMW S1000RRs, and an older Honda 929RR (but not slower... The rider is a retired NYC police officer who is now a NESBA Control Rider and track instructor). I really wasn't sure what to expect from my FXDX. It's obviously not in the same solar system as the other bikes. It even looks twice the size...

All in all, my bike and I held our own much better than I expected. Roads like Route 125 were the most challenging... Constant, tight, slower corners and hairpins. My bike is just too big and heavy to be fast in this setting, but we did our best...

I ride my bike aggressively often, but I really had to learn how to get the most out of it when riding with faster bikes. In some respects, it was way more competent than I expected. And some of the shortcomings were not what I expected. I was a little bit concerned about cornering clearance, especially on the slower tighter roads. No issue whatsoever. I think the FXDX will run out of usable tire before anything hits the ground (except maybe the side of my boot). I also thought my power-to-weight situation would really hamper me, but not so much on these roads. The low center of gravity, long wheelbase, and more relaxed rake definitely made these roads difficult. But the most trouble I had was with the gearbox, which I didn't expect. I usually ride in the 2800-4000 rpm range, but this ride moved it up to about 3800-5500 through all of the bits where we were hustling. The higher revs really magnified the need for accurate rev matching on downshifts, and for a positive, decisive left toe. I screwed up a few times grabbing the front brake and blipping the throttle for a 3-2 shift, suddenly finding myself gearless coming into the corner. It reminded me of decades ago, learning to drive a tractor trailer... Miss a gear, coast to a stop and start over. I didn't have to coast to a stop, but it really unsettled my corner a few times, as I coasted through and then looked for a gear on the other side. I guess I'll check my primary chain adjustment again, as I can't really think of another way to improve this (If anyone has input as to whether the looser or tighter side of the recommended deflection would help more, I'm all ears).

The end of Route 125 brought us to a closed bridge. A quick Google Map consultation showed the detour to be lengthy and uninteresting. We took a quick walk and determined the bridge "passable," although I felt like a trials rider finding room to pass between front-loaders and gravel heaps!

When the corners were more medium speed sweepers, the bike really came alive... This stretch of Route 339 was spectacular... Miles of fresh pavement, undulating hills, nice back and forth turns with decent sight lines. The FXDX was really awesome here:

I was the third bike in line at this point. There was no traffic, and we were fast. I didn't notice, but the BMW behind me later said that we hit triple digits several times along this stretch. I've never been on this bike before at that speed.

I definitely learned a bunch of things about riding an old Dyna fast. In fast corners, it's like a freight train. Once leaned over and pointed the right way, I can really give it A LOT of throttle without unsettling anything. It just stays in line, takes the power, and blasts around on rails. My front brakes are decent, but several times I had to pull the lever much harder than I ever have before. I learned that I could use more brake power, as the front wheel did not lock up. The Avon Cobras are sticky. I also started thinking about an oil cooler for the first time, and I welcome input here. After a really aggressive 30 minute section of constant 4500-5500 rpm pulls, I found an unusual vibration at idle, like an unhappy motor. I spent several miles short-shifting and taking it easy and all returned to normal for the rest of the day. Speaking of the higher rev range, it really is a different bike when you move the range up a bit. Granted, this is specific to my motor build, but you can really feel the shift from torque-dominance to power-dominance. The engine responds differently, and sounds like a whole different animal completely. It was also glass-smooth at higher revs, much more so than in the lower range. I also learned to stop trying to put my body in the right position for a corner, unless there was plenty of setup time. With mid-mount controls, there just isn't enough ability to use legs/core when shifting my body back and forth, and I end up using the bars a little bit without meaning to. That little tugging at the bars sometimes really upset turn-in, and the rider behind me could see it as well. I started keeping my butt in the center of the seat (this is why I'm so interested in the new Baylands Speedshop Dyna rear controls).

We always stop for lunch at Heisler's Dairy which is usually jam-packed with bikes, but unfortunately had just closed for the season.

This unfortunate turn of events led to lunch at a Wendys in a little, run-down coal town.

It was really a spectacular day, although I think I worked much harder than anyone else... My bike is almost 200 lbs heavier than the other three, and the two Bimmers are loaded up with active-electronic-suspension/traction-control/wheelie-control/ABS/up-and-down-quick-shifters, etc. I was very pleased with the performance and reliability of my bike, especially since it was mostly built in my garage. It will clearly never be a sportbike (not anywhere close), but in non-track settings where overall speed is limited by external factors, a well setup Dyna is more competent than some may think. Kind of like a Camaro vs a 911. While riding fast, I kept thinking of things I've had apart lately... Wheels, brakes, motor mounts... Sometimes I do something boneheaded (although I tend to catch it right away)... Did I tighten that? Did I check that? Are my wheels going to fall off? Fortunately it was all good!

Oh, I almost forgot... I want to give a nod to the surprising number of very courteous drivers we encountered. On several occasions, cars ahead of us moved over and gave us a "wave by" in a safe place (and two slower Harleys... I hoped they appreciated the familiar exhaust note as I passed). It was nice of them!

And then I fell fast asleep on my couch, my second beer just opened, and a Star Trek rerun on TV...

Last edited by F86; 10-03-2018 at 02:19 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by F86:
Bluesrider.df (10-06-2018), Campy Roadie (10-03-2018), crusader1xxx (10-03-2018), Davdoodles (10-04-2018), FRANK121 (10-03-2018), John CC (10-03-2018), Mutineer (10-05-2018), shorelasHD (10-03-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-03-2018, 01:39 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

It's getting cool up there already! Nice pics

Old 10-03-2018, 01:56 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by misfitJason
It's getting cool up there already! Nice pics
Thanks Jason!

Most of the summer has either been 98 and humid, or raining (or both). Now it's the nicest it's been all season! Unfortunately, it's probably short-lived...

Old 10-03-2018, 01:56 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Very excellent ride report! Glad you had a nice day and the American Iron didn't embarrass herself.

I'm sure it's hard to imagine, but how do you think a stock version of your bike would have managed?

I like the Cobras as well. I wish I had the rider skill you do. I can't (and wouldn't try, at this point) to push as hard you do.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:58 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Nice writeup! Just goes to show, it's not the bike, it's the rider! And we both know that a little training pays off bigtime.

Too bad we don't have many hilly twisties here in So. Jersey, but I managed to put 120 miles on the CBR on Friday (hit triple digits on the Parkway), and more or less repeated the ride on the 'King (except the triple digits part) on Sunday, with a layover at NJMP-Lightning for the Championship Cup Series.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:35 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cggorman
I'm sure it's hard to imagine, but how do you think a stock version of your bike would have managed?
Thant's an excellent question, and I can only guess... But I would think a stock, well-maintained FXDX/Fat Bob/LRS/etc would be decent. I've never owned my bike with a stock motor. When I got it, it had a once-excellent-but-then-tired 14 year old engine build. But everything else was completely original. My suspension is still completely stock FXDX stuff, with the exception of a fork brace and tires (and I desperately need to change my fork oil). My front brakes are upgraded a bit, but since the swept area is the same I doubt they're radically better for real, although they feel better than OEM. Maybe the stock motor wouldn't have gotten hot when mine did. I think the original tires would've been a big limiter... I had those tires originally... Not only are they less sticky than the Cobras, but they allow for much less lean angle.

Oh... Almost forgot... I also have a Predator upfront and a PosiTrac out back... I'm sure they really contribute a lot to the current cornering stability.

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
Nice writeup! Just goes to show, it's not the bike, it's the rider! And we both know that a little training pays off bigtime.

Too bad we don't have many hilly twisties here in So. Jersey, but I managed to put 120 miles on the CBR on Friday (hit triple digits on the Parkway), and more or less repeated the ride on the 'King (except the triple digits part) on Sunday, with a layover at NJMP-Lightning for the Championship Cup Series.
NICE!!! We're pretty lucky to have NJMP so close by!

Old 10-03-2018, 06:37 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cggorman
I wish I had the rider skill you do. I can't (and wouldn't try, at this point) to push as hard you do.
I would GLADLY exchange some of my riding ability (which is definitely not spectacular) for some of your engineering/fabrication skills (which are)!

Old 10-04-2018, 12:26 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Awesome pics and description Tariq. You made me yearn for my Virginia rides. Just before I left for the desert, I rode from my home in Shenandoah Valley to the York PA Harley factory for the tour and used only one small stretch of interstate. Loved riding through the parts of PA that I did. Nice job and the bike looks as stellar as ever!

Old 10-04-2018, 08:34 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by robbyville
Awesome pics and description Tariq. You made me yearn for my Virginia rides. Just before I left for the desert, I rode from my home in Shenandoah Valley to the York PA Harley factory for the tour and used only one small stretch of interstate. Loved riding through the parts of PA that I did. Nice job and the bike looks as stellar as ever!
Thanks, Robbie! Always nice to "see" you around, but hurry up and get another bike already!

Old 10-05-2018, 05:06 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Nice review with pics too. But please ride your own ride in the future...

Quick Reply: Awesome fast ride on Sunday