Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions on Wide Glide or Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 12:47 PM
chasu99
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Decisions on Wide Glide or Fatboy

I have a 2012 Wide Glide, and while I like the performance and custom appearance, I'm really beginning to like the fatboy. There is one for sale locally at a good price, but I really like my bike. The audience here is obviously pro WG, but what are some opinions to help me decide? Everyone has opinions, so "shoot" !!!

Old 10-05-2018, 01:49 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,423 Likes on 906 Posts

Being a wide glide guy I vote wg but your vote is the one that counts. That is a nice looking fat boy. I think you will miss the dyna if you pull the trigger. Is it possible to have the 2 bikes at least for a while to decide as I assume you are asking that to buy the softail you would sell the wg?

Old 10-05-2018, 02:51 AM
Wide One.
Cruiser
Received 334 Likes on 92 Posts

They’re very different bikes. I love my Wide Glide but took a 2015 Fatboy for a blast and thought it was a great bike too. I’d be happy to have a Fatboy in the garage but I wouldn’t get rid of my Wide Glide to do it.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:29 PM
Mattf748
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I changed from a Fat Boy to Dyna for the reasons you already described you like yours.
Performance and stopping power are two things the Fatboy doesn’t have but it was Cool to look at, it just felt a bit like riding an armchair with no brakes and nowhere near as much fun to ride as a Dyna.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:05 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I could see adding it but not replacing the Wide Glide with it. The Wide Glide has really grown on me over the years, it's got that renegade Harley look to it I don't think any other model really achieved. But that's my tastes.

In my experience... it's just looking for the high of something new most of the time.

You really like you're Wide Glide, once the newness wears off on the Fat Boy, are you going to like it as much, or rather more so? Will it scratch the itch the same or will you miss the Wide Glide in time? Personally, if you could, do both, after a season and once you're certain, sell the one you like least. Otherwise you risk selling a sure thing for something new and that can be hit or miss.

To me they are two different bikes that fill two different needs. Personally a softail wouldn't scratch the itch to ride hard like a dyna does for me. Food for thought: You posted this in the Dyna section knowing we would be pro-dyna... you didn't post in the Softail section asking the same. Honesty I think you already know which one you want to keep.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:42 PM
USMC2010
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Two very, very different rides. Good luck with your choice.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I went from a WG to a Fat Boy and back to a WG in less than a year. The Fat Boy was a beautiful bike (candy red with tons of chrome) but it just wasn't a fun ride for me compared to the Dynas. Even though a WG isn't the best handling bike, it is so much more nimble. And personally I never got used to the seating position on the Softail; the Dynas have a better rider triangle to me, particularly the higher seat height.
Make sure you can take a good test ride before you make the switch.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

Best of both worlds is obviously a fat bob

Seriously though how much $$$ do you have into the WG and what sort of riding do you do?

The following users liked this post:
Kevin R (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 08:05 PM
Sisu
Road Captain
Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

I like my Fatbob better than either but the Fatboy is more comfortable than a Wideglide.
And if you carry passengers the Fatboy wins hands down.
My brother had a Fatboy before he bought his Heritage and Wideglide.
I put a few miles on all of them.
That skinny front tire just doesn't work for me.

Last edited by Sisu; 10-08-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:32 AM
chasu99
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tall Timber
Best of both worlds is obviously a fat bob

Seriously though how much $$$ do you have into the WG and what sort of riding do you do?
I’ll be riding a road trip A couple times a month. 4 hours riding round trip.

Quick Reply: Decisions on Wide Glide or Fatboy