Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick detatch Luggage

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 05:09 AM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team
Received 1,014 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Mutineer

Ain't nothin' quick or detachable about this particular model of Viking Bags. Bought the dyna used with the bags on it, tail light + turn signals eliminated, and it's an absolute work-horse for our household (groceries, beer, and bullsh!t). If I had to do it again - I would prefer different bags and keep the stock rear tail light and turn signals.

Tail light and turn signals eliminated in favor of Custom Dynamics LED integrated brake/turn signal tail light.

They rattled like hell from day one. Bought some marine grade weather strip from Lowe's - its the kind with two hollow cavities through it. Cut the first layer of the weather stripping off for a total thickness of 1/8". Solved the rattle issues entirely. Additionally, the piano hinge pin that runs half the length of the saddle bag kept backing itself out. This was resolved by gently tapping them back into the hinge, and peening the end of the hinge with a flathead screw driver. I've got 400mi on the hinge peening without backing out.

Otherwise, they work excellent and they can hold quite a lot of beer, or enough for a day trip. Michelob 12pk of skinny 12oz cans will fit without a problem. Regular 12pk of 12oz cans fit fine too. Have yet to try and throw an 18pk or 24pk in there.

Absolute rear width of Dyna w/ Viking bags: <~29"
Handle bar width: ~32"

Great starter bags if you can get them cheap enough.
You nailed it. I’ve got a pair of Vikings and getting them off and on is a pain in the ***, not to mention the 2 times I’ve actually removed them I was terrified I was going to break the key off. It’s a good thing i like the way the bike looks with them on because if not, they’d be in the classifieds section.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:31 AM
natedog_37
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I wanted bags but will not move the tail lights so I went with this. I can get at least a week of clothing in it plus the top open to strap down a coat and I put the bungee net on top to hold more. Several 1000+ mile trips with no issues.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:43 AM
Jonesy82
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Greenohawk69 - That really seems the route I need to look into. I like how clean it looks without the bags. The majority of the time I won't be running the bags, however, for when my wife and I decide to go impromptu somewhere, slapping them on and going is key. I think those in conjunction with the sissy bar bag is the way to fly for us.

natedog 37 - On my 07 I don't have to move tail lights, and with the two of us I think my wife would prefer the addition of the saddle bags WITH the sissy bar bag.

Thanks everyone for the input, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:16 PM
natedog_37
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Bag can go behind the sissy bar I use it as a back rest. but understood.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:21 PM
2011hdfat
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I had viking bags on my 2011 fatbob. they sucked. they were the ridget with the leather covering with shock cutouts.
the lids were loose and rattled from day one. couldn't get any seal on it as then it wouldn't stay shut. everything got wet in the rain.
the quick detach wouldn't kit the bags, they would of been sticking out past the bags and look horrible.
used the long bolts so I could still utilize the sissy bar. last 3 months. went over a bump, snapped both bolts on one side, and the saddlebag fell off and slid down the highway.

don't go cheap, spend the money and do it right.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:29 PM
Jonesy82
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011hdfat
I had viking bags on my 2011 fatbob. they sucked. they were the ridget with the leather covering with shock cutouts.
the lids were loose and rattled from day one. couldn't get any seal on it as then it wouldn't stay shut. everything got wet in the rain.
the quick detach wouldn't kit the bags, they would of been sticking out past the bags and look horrible.
used the long bolts so I could still utilize the sissy bar. last 3 months. went over a bump, snapped both bolts on one side, and the saddlebag fell off and slid down the highway.

don't go cheap, spend the money and do it right.
I appreciate the heads up. Cheap and long lasting rarely go together. These bikes aren't cheap and putting cheap stuff on 'em doesn't appeal to me. Thanks for sharing that experience!