Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDLS front end on my FXDL, very stiff!!!

Old 10-19-2018, 02:05 AM
harlot
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default FXDLS front end on my FXDL, very stiff!!!

just installed a FXDLS single cartridge on my low rider, and I realized the dyna now is extremely reactive to bumps, even smallest ones on road.

the result is translating to a very sensitive throttle, I can no longer get a smooth hold on speed when going on the roads.

I did have the dealer dump SE heavy oil in the fork. I know the regular dyna s has type e.

Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on this before I bring it back in and drop another 200 bucks to replace brand new oils.

Thank you

Old 10-19-2018, 05:11 AM
Lambda
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Probably the oil, when using cartridge systems is a good idea to use the oil the system was designed with, for example, I used a 20wt oil on my forks before I went to a ohlins setup, the recommended ohlins oil is WAY more fluid than the old 20wt oil in there, yet, the cartridges and the oil makes the old setup look like if you welded the suspension tubes to the lowers.

The valving is all when it comes down to choosing the oil, if you put a heavy oil on a system where the valve holes are too small, it will ride really hard.

Old 10-19-2018, 12:09 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

The dealer should have known better than to use the heavier oil and warned you, but if that's what you wanted I guess they were willing to charge you for it. It's not that hard to change your own fork fluid, so why not do it yourself. And just in the event you want to try something else in there you already know how to do it.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:45 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

It would have been easier if HD would've drilled some drainage holes in the sliders...

I guess there's no reason that can't be done though...

Old 10-19-2018, 10:43 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, and I need to point out that I'm NOT a real suspension expert, but fork oil works very differently in "conventional" damper rod forks versus cartridge forks. With a damper rod, one can often obtain a more controlled, sportier, stiffer-in-a-good-way ride by switching to a heavier fork oil... But with a cartridge, a heavier oil won't always move through the passageways quickly enough to allow the cartridge to do what it's designed to do, and will often result in a "washboard ride" which can't react quickly enough to impacts and results in the tire spending less time in good contact with the road when pavement is less than perfect. To take advantage of the advantages offered by a cartridge, the fork oil needs to move quickly enough to allow the suspension to react properly to rapid and sudden inputs.

I have a somewhat antiquated cartridge fork - stock FXDX front end. People who know much more about this stuff than I do often recommend a fork oil LIGHTER than OEM, to properly take advantage of the strengths of this fork (like 5wt).

Again, I really am not a suspension expert, but I would try a lighter oil before deciding whether this front end is for you or not. Also, I honestly have no idea whether an LR-S is heavier, lighter, or the same weight as a standard Lowrider. If it's heavier, you may also be oversprung... And you may be running too much preload if you haven't checked sag... So many variables... But I would try a lighter fork oil.

Last edited by F86; 10-19-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:40 PM
harlot
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

thanks all, fixing appt with dealer right now

Old 10-20-2018, 05:13 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Not to complicate things further, but just so you know, it's not impossible to mix different viscosities to create a "custom" viscosity. (As long as the base oils are similar.)

Old 10-20-2018, 05:23 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

The adjustment **** on top of the forks didn't do anything?

Old 10-20-2018, 07:13 PM
Gearhead88
Tourer
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Before handing over a bunch more money to a dealer , I`d advise a bit more research , a phone call to a suspension tuning facility for suggestions . Here`s what happens at many dealerships , it is a roll of the dice , as in , you get what you gat as far as depth of experience and level of giving a **** that the Tech puts into his work , some times it`s sub par .

Suspension can be tuned by someone who is competent in this , those are the people to seek out to do the work.

You need to know what you want done

Old 10-20-2018, 07:40 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
The adjustment **** on top of the forks didn't do anything?
There are no adjusters on a stock FXDLS front suspension.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FXDLS front end on my FXDL, very stiff!!!