Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Steps in Improving Performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 07:15 AM
MMH
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Default First Steps in Improving Performance

Over winter I want to start on my performance enhancements on my 2008 Street Bob. I think that my initial steps will be simple bolt on items: air filter, exhaust and a tuner.

On the air filter I am thinking about something like the Arlen Ness Inverted Sucker. On the exhaust I am not really sure, but will definitely be a 2 into 1 (such as a Bassani Road Rage) as I want to maximize mid range torque and not top end power. I don't think that the air cleaner or header can be put on without a tuner.

On the tuner I really have no idea. Ultimately I will do some more engine mods. Not sure what, but probably will not be anything crazy - bump displacement up to 103, increase compression, possibly minor head work & a cam. I would definitely want to get a tuner that would be able to handle these future mods.

Any suggestions on components for me to start considering would be appreciated!

Old 10-25-2018, 08:34 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Spend the money and get a tuner that will grow with you. My choice was a TTS, but there are several other really good ones out there. I'm sure you'll get some good feedback by those that use them.

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (10-31-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 08:43 AM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,423 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Why not do all of your mods at once and get a dyno tune from a reputable tuner and you're done and ready to roll?

Old 10-25-2018, 09:05 AM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,970 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH
Money..., and a plan

Performance upgrades are not only motor centric - but could (and should) include handling / suspension/ braking

That said - motor upgrades are a slippery slope...

Do one - 5 more are required to make it reliable

Do one - 10 more are required because now... you want more

Don't get me wrong - I've upgraded the living **** out of my dyna - and love it

Just go into this with a plan..., and don't deviate - otherwise plan (and be prepared) to spend a considerable amount to get results worth a ****

Ghost

JayStronghawk (10-31-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 09:16 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Think of an orchestra, not one member.
The whole thing is symbiotic.
A freekin air filter is going to do nothing for you.
You need a cam-
then you need your heads worked, then you need fuel, then you need exhaust, and then and then.
I ALWAYS say
write dwn your end goal and march that pathway or else ylou will just throw parts at it.
You CANT *bolt on Horsepower.If you really could everyone would be doing it.
*turbo you can.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:58 AM
MMH
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ghost_13
Performance upgrades are not only motor centric - but could (and should) include handling / suspension/ braking
I'm doing the brakes, suspension, predator mount, etc. this winter.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:59 AM
MMH
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tired
Why not do all of your mods at once and get a dyno tune from a reputable tuner and you're done and ready to roll?
Because the money tree will dry up if I try to do all at once.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:05 AM
MMH
Tourer

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Think of an orchestra, not one member.
The whole thing is symbiotic.
A freekin air filter is going to do nothing for you.
You need a cam-
then you need your heads worked, then you need fuel, then you need exhaust, and then and then.
I ALWAYS say
write dwn your end goal and march that pathway or else ylou will just throw parts at it.
You CANT *bolt on Horsepower.If you really could everyone would be doing it.
*turbo you can.
I do not disagree. That is why I want to get a tuner, air cleaner and exhaust first - I will need it for any further engine mods and thus will be step one. Step two will be the cam, pistons, head work, etc. which will get me the HP. Step one is to prep me for step two. I have no real HP expectations from step one.

Kingglide549 (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 01:09 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 555 Likes on 329 Posts

Lose some weight, get lighter items (e.g. lighter battery, brake rotors, aluminum swingarm ).

Old 10-25-2018, 01:19 PM
VAnightster
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH
Over winter I want to start on my performance enhancements on my 2008 Street Bob. I think that my initial steps will be simple bolt on items: air filter, exhaust and a tuner.

On the air filter I am thinking about something like the Arlen Ness Inverted Sucker. On the exhaust I am not really sure, but will definitely be a 2 into 1 (such as a Bassani Road Rage) as I want to maximize mid range torque and not top end power. I don't think that the air cleaner or header can be put on without a tuner.

On the tuner I really have no idea. Ultimately I will do some more engine mods. Not sure what, but probably will not be anything crazy - bump displacement up to 103, increase compression, possibly minor head work & a cam. I would definitely want to get a tuner that would be able to handle these future mods.

These guys are great and will write you a custom tune for your bike with the equipment installed https://www.fuelmotousa.com/ The Dynojet Power Vision is a pretty popular one and has the ability to add more mods later down the road

Quick Reply: First Steps in Improving Performance