Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F'n Windshield!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Protrucker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F'n Windshield!

I bought a standard height windshield for my Street Bob when I got the bike. I didn't plan to have it on the bike all the time, but wanted it for long trips. Last year I put it on for a trip to Americade because it was raining when we left. As soon as we got to the motel I took the shield off & left it in the room until time to go home. I hated it!There was so much wind coming up under the windshield that it was beating my ears to death. I Put it back on to get home & took it off, washed it up, & put it back in the box it came in.
I never took it back out of the box again until yesterday morning. I thought that it might work better than before since I have added a 2" tank lift. We were going to take a good ride so I thought that it would be a good time to try it again. I only got about a mile down the road, turned around & went back home to take the damned thing back off. I still hate it! ThenI went for a 310 mile ride with the wind in my face. That's the way I've riden for most of the 35 years that I've been riding.

I'm not quite ready to give up on the windshield yet, but I don't want to waste more money looking for a way to stop the wind beating from under it. I kind of think that the wind is hitting my legs & coming up becausemy feet are on the forwardfootpegs,so here's my question: Does anyone here have any experience with the Memphis Shades Lowers? Will they make the difference that I'm looking for?

Old 07-02-2007, 12:55 AM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: F'n Windshield!

try putting a stereo system on it. plugs the hole and allows you to rock n ride,when you have the sheild on. jackyl

THE WINDJAMMERinfo and more pics: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...076&rd=1,1

[IMG]local://upfiles/8042/06AE9886991F4669B2E1B05AD06899BE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-02-2007, 10:41 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the lowers,, put an old tank bra behind the headlight and have a small tool bag between the lowers.... No wind in my face..
I'm like you, not real crazy about the looks but I wont make the long run without it.. I've posted this before...but I can ride 75mph with a baseball cap (bill forwards) and the wind wont take it.. No buffeting at all.. It really works for me...

I like jackyl idea too I still have to have sony earbuds for my tunes (for now anyway) : )

[IMG]local://upfiles/5572/CD3B1AB6A3394F9E9A92A0EEC5E99645.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Trout
Cruiser

I have a low profile HD removable windshield and have the same buffeting problem (strong wind blowing up from beneath). Last big trip I tried an experiment. Instead of mounting the windshield clamps between the two trees, I dropped it so the lower clamp was below the lower tree. This put the shield a full 2"-3"lower andmade a difference that I could feel as far as the wind coming from beneath. The headlight cutout doesn't align with the headlight but it doesn't touch it either.

This weekend I took the next step and made some proof-of-concept windshield lowers out of an old pair of car license plates. I made my own aluminum brackets to mount the lowers to the shield. I put 160 miles on the bike Saturday, and although the license plate sized lowers seemed a bit large, the air stream from below is 90% gone. It was VERY pleasant. Now I just need to replace the license plates with a pair of homemede clear plastic units. I picked up some plexiglass from Home Depot for $2.19, so this should be a very cheap solution.

I looked at the Memphis Shades lowers too. They are smaller than what I plan to end up with, and they probably won't mount to my HD brand shield. I considered buying the whole enchilada... Memphis Fats, Hardware, Lowers, but that's another $360 that I don't want to part with very bad.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Hardway
Intermediate

I have to say a thing here, Jacks Flaps vest does work with the ws on. Might be worth a look see. It works for me.
Chuck

Old 07-02-2007, 01:41 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the look of your lowers. I would like to try that next for my bike.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:10 PM
DynaSport
Advanced

Well, I have had the same issue on my 2000FXDX. I bought the Memphis Shades lowers and have used them with my HD windshield. I actually went through 3 different HD windshield models thinking it was a windshield design problem, but they all did it. I finally ordered the lowers and while they don't match up exactly with my HD windshield (I now use the quick detach I think it is called, the one that doesn't leave anything behind) and the tinting doesn't match just right either, I do think it is better than without it. Still not perfect, but much better. Maybe one day I'll buy the Memphis Shades windshield for a better match, but I got tired of spending money on windshields. Just about made me move to an Electra Glide. Good luck.
Dan

Old 07-02-2007, 02:26 PM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I usea Memphis shades on my 2000 FXDX and have no problems with it.
Their quick disconnect system is awesome.
At65+ MPH it performs great.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:52 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the detachable hardware. Then get the wider and tall shield form a road king. I found a shield the other week at a yard sale it was just 1" wider and a big different on the air flow. The road king shield are much wider and some are also taller. Harley made dyna shield for short people.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:08 PM
simsjam
Cruiser

I purchased the HD chrome deflectors made for a Soft Tail and was able to modify them to work with my windshield on my 2006 FXDI. I mounted them directly to the windshield clamps.It took some extra drilling and some spacers to hold them out far enough from the forks to keep them from rubbing (ACE hardware). I did not have anything to fill the original mount hole at the bottom of themso I put in a 12" threaded rod to connect both of them togeather for extra support. It cut down the wind coming from up under the shield a LOT.

Quick Reply: F'n Windshield!