Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory or dealer installed forwards?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 04:49 PM
SmokeyHill
Tourer

Received 282 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Factory or dealer installed forwards?

Is there any way to tell if the forward controls on my Street Bob were factory or dealer installed? I was at the dealer the other day and mentioned that I was going to switch from the forwards to mid controls and asked the service manager about the inner primary cover. He said it wouldn't need replaced, that it probably just had a plug in it. He didn't elaborate and I didn't press him. His tone and mannerisms led me to believe he knew it had a plug in it.

I believe this dealer has done all the work to the bike since it was new. I know for a fact they installed the V&H slip-ons because when I bought the bike, they still had the original stock pipes in the V&H box and asked me if I wanted them.

With that thought in my head, I asked him if he might have any mid controls laying around. He confirmed that they might indeed have some take offs for that bike on the shelf. He was quick to point out that they wouldn't have an outer primary cover though.

Now, I really don't care if at some point in the past they put the forward controls on and kept the outer cover because the previous owner wanted a new, clean cover. I'll look for a trade partner that wants forwards and go even up, mine for theirs, including the cover. If that doesn't pan out, I'll just buy and outer cover. What I'm wondering about is that inner cover. What that service manager said and how he said it really makes me think it's plugged, but they don't come with just a plug from the factory do they? It's an epoxy filler from what I've read.

The bikes still in the shop so I can't go out and feel around.

Here's the best pic I have of it:

Old 10-31-2018, 07:07 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

I can’t tell you if the dealer put them on, but I can tell you it’s not stock, stock is mids if it s a Street bob...

Old 10-31-2018, 07:35 PM
et998
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

^^^ What he said. Likely it still has the stock inner primary. You ought to think about the further forward mids like on the 14-17 Low Rider's. I can't see what would hold you back except maybe the exhaust. If you ever rode a stock Street Bob and I mean with a stock seat, the mids were giving most riders knees up with *** down. Even for my 30 inch inseam, I would need a seat further back like a Badlander at minimum, and for my knees, a taller seat even so.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:12 AM
maydaymike
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by crusader1xxx
I can’t tell you if the dealer put them on, but I can tell you it’s not stock, stock is mids if it s a Street bob...
Not necessarily. If the chrome covers, wheels, and front end are original to the bike, and not dealer or previous owner add-ons, that bike was almost certainly ordered through the HD-1 special order program, and could have had forwards on it right out of the crate. One clue is that when the chrome engine covers were ordered, the chrome front end came with it as a package. Several options were offered through HD-1, including 4 wheel choices, 3 bar choices, chrome vs black engine cases, mid vs forward controls, and several more color choices, including some two tone treatments, that were not offered on the standard bikes. The prices on these options were far less than if the changes were made at the dealer after delivery. While it's true that you could use the bike builder on the website to "build" any model, the "factory" changes and pricing only came on two bikes, the Street Bob, and the Sportster 1200 Custom. Another way to tell on the Street Bob is the engine. If it is pre 2013, and has a 103, it's a HD-1 bike. The 96 was standard on the Street Bob through 2013. In 2014 all the Dynas got the 103.

Last edited by maydaymike; 11-02-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:14 PM
SmokeyHill
Tourer

Received 282 Likes on 114 Posts

I do know the bike was ordered through the HD-1 program. The VIN brings back a model of FXDBP. The paint is factory Hard Candy Custom Big Red Flake which was only available through the HD-1 program. I also believe the chrome package is original to the bike. Also it came with the 103 from the factory. It is, in fact, a 2013. It only has 5100 miles on it. The original owner passed away and I bought the bike on consignment.

So, it looks like the forwards came from the factory, so I'll possibly need a new inner primary cover for the switch to mids (or probably further forwards actually---thanks et998 for the heads up). That is, unless the inner has the epoxy plug I've read about and can be drilled out.

If the dealer I bought it from was also the original dealer, would they be able to tell me what factory options were installed on the bike? If not, is there any way to find out?

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:55 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I would think any dealer should be able to insert the VIN and tell you what it left the factory with.