Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad motor mount ? How to tell.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 06:43 AM
GWC68
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have read that and I wont buy a stock one but my extended warranty should replace it for free , just really wanting to know how to tell if it was bad since I had not seen a bad one in person.
I did not know if it would crack or fall apart or sag like was stated, or what kind of vibration it cause.

I will let warranty fix this one and next time I will put a Predator mount in it.

Thanks.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:36 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 781 Posts

What does sag look like compared to new? Cracks and broken pieces are easy to spot but sag ... I have no idea what to look for.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

The stock mounts have a tendency to collapse. There is supposed to be a gap between the top of the mount and the frame. If there isn't, it has collapsed. Had one collapse two weeks after I installed it. The Predator mount is a band aid and an expensive one, and many have found no difference.. The root cause is most likely a bad crank/flywheel. $3000 to replace.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:55 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by Huggerbugger
The stock mounts have a tendency to collapse. There is supposed to be a gap between the top of the mount and the frame. If there isn't, it has collapsed. Had one collapse two weeks after I installed it. The Predator mount is a band aid and an expensive one, and many have found no difference.. The root cause is most likely a bad crank/flywheel. $3000 to replace.
Please don't project your issues onto others.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:57 AM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior

Not my issue only. Google "Harley Vibration", "Harley crank problems".

Old 11-02-2018, 10:10 AM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior

To the OP, the hump on the top of your front mount might be touching the frame. Many have had success with cutting that off. Takes a strong saw or use a Dremel with a cutting disc.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:23 AM
GWC68
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This was going to be my next question , could this be that my crank " fly wheels spun" and is now out of balance ? Because after thinking about it I would say its a shake out of balance feel more than a vibrating feeling.
so is replacing the crank something Harley will warrenty or when I go in there are they just going to tell me its normal, just kinda wondering what to expect.

Going to haft to do more searches on this I guess.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:34 AM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior

Harley has tried to brush it under the carpet, but under warranty you should have some luck. The fix is an S.E. assembly with the bearing tig-welded. About $1,500 for the parts and same for labor. Been to 6 shops. I know the subject.

The following users liked this post:
GWC68 (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 11:30 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Huggerbugger
To the OP, the hump on the top of your front mount might be touching the frame. Many have had success with cutting that off. Takes a strong saw or use a Dremel with a cutting disc.
The first time I tried doing this, years ago before installing the Predator, I tried a file and a saw. Huge pain in the ***. I did it again recently (on a new rearr mount), and this time I used a razor. It peeled off like butter. Took 10 seconds.

Originally Posted by GWC68
This was going to be my next question , could this be that my crank " fly wheels spun" and is now out of balance ? Because after thinking about it I would say its a shake out of balance feel more than a vibrating feeling.
so is replacing the crank something Harley will warrenty or when I go in there are they just going to tell me its normal, just kinda wondering what to expect.

Going to haft to do more searches on this I guess.
I have no experience with the later "pressed cranks," but I would think a spun crank would be pretty unlikely without a significant power boost.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:34 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Can you observe the engine visibly shaking a lot more than it used to, or do you just feel a lot more vibration through the bike while riding? If so, it may be the pretty common sidestand issue... A worn (but serviceable) mount can let the engine move back in the frame slightly, causing the sidestand pin in the frame crossmember to press against the crankcase. This basically transfers all engine vibration directly into the frame.

Quick Reply: Bad motor mount ? How to tell.