Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad motor mount ? How to tell.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 12:25 PM
GWC68
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Its a hard vibration more of a shaking , starts close to 2,000 rpms and feel like it stop over 3500 rpms and is there when you lift off the throttle.
only time I dont feel it is at idle or just off idle. When I started it after work and took off it was one of those "what the hell" things.

This is my 4th Harley with all the previous ones being Sporties, 1 1200 and 2 1000cc and I never had one feel like this one does.
I will check out the motor mount more and see if everything else is right and nothing is hitting but will take it in to the shop Monday if I can and go from there if I cant find anything else.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:34 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

They'll tell you it's "Normal", but what they mean is that it's a common problem and they don't want to mess with it. One shop I went to knew right away that it was a spun crank and what the solution is.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:35 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by GWC68
Its a hard vibration more of a shaking , starts close to 2,000 rpms and feel like it stop over 3500 rpms and is there when you lift off the throttle.
only time I dont feel it is at idle or just off idle. When I started it after work and took off it was one of those "what the hell" things.

This is my 4th Harley with all the previous ones being Sporties, 1 1200 and 2 1000cc and I never had one feel like this one does.
I will check out the motor mount more and see if everything else is right and nothing is hitting but will take it in to the shop Monday if I can and go from there if I cant find anything else.
Yeah... When it comes to engine mounts/frame, a Dyna and a Sporty have absolutely nothing in common. You should be able to see what I mean about the sidestand with a mirror and a flashlight. Look elsewhere for things that may be touching the frame as well. Unlike a Sportster, the Twin Cam in a Dyna moves around A LOT within the frame. If it started that suddenly, there may be something rubbing somewhere. Is performance unchanged? if not, there could be a totally different issue. It can be tricky, but it's helpful to determine whether the engine is vibrating more than it used to (possible mechanical/electronic issue), or whether there's an increase of the vibes that were always there reaching the rider (possible motor mount/engine alignment issue). From your description, I'm assuming it's not a chassis issue (wheel balance, tire pressure, suspension, etc).

Old 11-02-2018, 04:41 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I'd suggest shimming and/or trimming the front mount. It's free (or nearly) if you can turn a wrench and there are no published downsides that I've found.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:51 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

Reach underneath and you should be able to at least put your fingers between the crossmember and the bottom of the engine. When my new motor mount collapsed, the engine was hitting the frame.

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (03-23-2019)
Old 11-02-2018, 05:01 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

A week or two ago, another member found the cause of his vibration to be his mid peg mount bolts were hitting his exhaust.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:11 PM
GWC68
Cruiser

I really did not mean to suggest the Dyna and Sporty were the same just stating I believe I know what normal vibrations on a Harley are like..lol
Its not a mirror buzzing vibration or anything like that its more of a shaking type just hard to explain but its really pronounced under throttle and after let off the throttle untill it returns to idle is bad.

I thought I might get off work early and was going to take it in but it will haft to wait untill Monday now but I will look at everything you guys are talking about and see what it looks like tomorrow.

Thanks

Old 11-02-2018, 06:24 PM
GWC68
Cruiser

Went out and looked at the mount again and took some better pictures, it also looks like it is setting lower than yesterday, I grabbed a feeler gauge and could just barely push it through.
so setting on the rubber is the problem right, and I am sure when its revving its really hitting.
So if I trim the top of the rubber off it by alrights should not vibrate anymore and then I can decide to have the dealer throw a stock mount on it or go buy a Predator mount.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:30 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

That's not good. Is that dark crescent on the steel cross piece above the isolator bump stop a shadow or where the dirt was rubbed off by the rubber?

A trim should help, but that isolator is on the way out.

IMO, Predator won't isolate much, if any, better than stock but it should last longer.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:38 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Cggorman mentioned shimming the mount, and that sounds like a good suggestion (in conjunction with trimming the "bump"). You may want to peruse this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...today-wow.html

Quick Reply: Bad motor mount ? How to tell.