Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 09:57 AM
MMH
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

I have heard that the RaceTech emulators were a great step up. I am getting ready to do this. They cost $170 if you do the work yourself. If you need front springs (which I did not) it only adds $100.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:26 AM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,071 Likes on 1,906 Posts

if you have the bucks to spend, the ohlins NIX22 cartridges are a good upgrade. installed a set earlier this year, very easy to install and I like the external spring tension and dampening adjustability.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:36 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Like F86 said, it may pay dividends to confirm the current sag position. Traditionally, laden sag (with rider) should be about 1/3 of the total travel.

So, if the total travel is 6" (it isn't. You'll have to look it up), then laden sag should be close to 2". That gets your spring preload close. Unladen sag (no rider), is supposed to be about 1/3 of the laden sag, or 5/8" in this example. Hit both and that should have your spring rate and preload pretty damn close.

Last edited by cggorman; 11-11-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:31 PM
neverstockjp
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ll be honest i definitely skipped that step of setting up Sag when I installed new rear shocks but it still made a huge difference. I was looking at Progressive for their front end kit which is the cheaper one so far but theres other one like Legend that seems good too a lot of choices out there and it looks like a easy job to do according to YouTube lol !

Old 11-11-2018, 05:48 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by neverstockjp
I’ll be honest i definitely skipped that step of setting up Sag when I installed new rear shocks but it still made a huge difference. I was looking at Progressive for their front end kit which is the cheaper one so far but theres other one like Legend that seems good too a lot of choices out there and it looks like a easy job to do according to YouTube lol !
its not hard to do it yourself.
Given the info you gave us I’d recommend you try a racetech gold valve setup should run you about 400 at the most. Many are recommending you get ohlins nix 22’ but I don’t see any reason to unless you ditch those rear shocks you just got and match front and rears to get the full benefits of the suspension.

also pass on progressive monotubes I hated mine lol

Old 11-11-2018, 05:55 PM
neverstockjp
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-11-2018, 10:02 PM
cycler
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the racetech gold emulators with their springs but will be upgrading to the ODC monza inverted front end. However from the research Ive done you cant go wrong with the 30mm ohlins cartridges from Howard at motorcycle metal or even with the GP suspension drop in cartridges. I heard phenomenal things about the 25mm GP suspension drop in cartridges.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:08 AM
scoop_fraser
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My experience with front suspension upgrades and Alberta roads is that I wished I hadn't done two or three slight "upgrades" and instead went to a properly engineered cartridge set up from the get go. I currently have some cheap drop-in cartridges that I've never been able to adjust to my liking. I'm about to send my fork tubes down to Fast Bike Industries to have them do a custom length (I have +2" fork tubes) Andreani cartridge setup. Personally, my advice would be to spend your budget limit and get something set up for your bike and your riding style with some external rebound and compression dampening adjustment.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:32 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

That's kinda where I'm at now with my rear shocks. I went from stock to entry/mid-level Ohlins out back and from stock directly to NIX30 up front. Now I'm planning to step it up again on the rear. Probably double adjustable piggy backs (Ohlins, of course, from Howard to match the front). Shoulda just gone all out for the shocks from the beginning but that's part of the learning process.

Last edited by cggorman; 11-12-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:42 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

I've also upgraded with the race tech gold emulators and heavier oil with the ported dampers. I'm very happy with it.

Quick Reply: Front suspension upgrade