Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike turns over but won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 01:40 AM
AFORAL
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bike turns over but won't start.

I have a 1991 FXR it had been locked away for a couple of years i did the fuel oil etc charged the battery and bang it started straight up. I rode it and when i stopped it wouldn't start, then after persevering it started. It did this for a couple of days and then i took it for a ride to a job interview as i have no other transport atm, dreading it not starting but it started straight up i rode home about 30min parked it not a prob it ran well. The next day i went to start it and it wouldn't start. I checked wires connecting to the battery and replaced the connectors on a couple of them, still not firing, took the plugs out gave them a clean checked for spark on the back cylinder and the bike started and the plug had spark. Put the plug back in bike cranks but no start, took the plug out and again it started. I put it back in a mate came over i went to show him pulled the plug out cranked it the bike didn't start this time and the plug had no spark. I took both plugs and put them in the car lead and the both tested fine with a bright blue spark put them back in the bike and nothing it cranks but wont start. Any advise would be greatly appreciated TIA. AL.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:42 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Here is a link to the Harley Electrical Troubleshooting Guide for your bike. If your ignition is stock you will notice on page 6 of 276 (page 2) the diagram for your system. On that page and the following page, it notes the grounds to check. I would start there. Then if you still have no spark move through the diagnostic procedure described for the balance of the system.

I would also double check that you are getting fuel into and from the carburetor as the bike was sitting and it is possible that debris eventually found its way into the carb?

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/content/document/view?id=5524&parameters=highlight%3D1991+Electrica l

Last edited by mmesa005; 11-15-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:31 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Pass me the envelope-
did you do ANY troubleshooting?

Old 11-15-2018, 07:36 AM
AFORAL
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mmesa005
Here is a link to the Harley Electrical Troubleshooting Guide for your bike. If your ignition is stock you will notice on page 6 of 276 (page 2) the diagram for your system. On that page and the following page, it notes the grounds to check. I would start there. Then if you still have no spark move through the diagnostic procedure described for the balance of the system.

I would also double check that you are getting fuel into and from the carburetor as the bike was sitting and it is possible that debris eventually found its way into the carb?

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....991+Electrical
Thanks heaps for this i appreciate your reply... I'm not sure that it will do much good but i will have a look just the same, I should have added that I am running a Crane HI4 Ignition with a Siamese Coil. As for the fuel i opened up the carb sprayed fuel so it went through but still didn't fire, i wouldn't of thought that this would be behind the spark diapering from the plug though, i put new connectors on the battery leads/wires and i had a fully charged HD Dry-Cell battery.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:41 AM
AFORAL
1st Gear

Yes I have been stuffing around with it in my spare time for a couple of days now. I was thinking along the lines of what mmesa005 was saying about a ground prob i have done a bit of a wire chase i have 2 main earth straps that i know of and they are both solid..

Old 11-15-2018, 02:35 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

MISFIRE OR INTERMITTENT OPERATION Field experience has shown that popping back through the carburetor, misfiring, and intermittent failure (especially after the engine gets hot) are usually not caused by electrical problems within the HI-4. Carburetor problems, fouled spark plugs, coil failure, and loose wire harness connections are the most common culprits.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/d..._hi4_race2.pdf

Old 11-15-2018, 05:37 PM
AFORAL
1st Gear

Thanks mmesa005, Your other link had some great to know bits in it i will look at this also and i thank everyone who has some input for my problem, As i am only new on this site i am still working out the basics on how to use it so if my comment end up being a post or it looks like i am not responding to something, it's not because i'm ignorant but more like i'm learning Cheers for your help just the same. By the way nice ride u have there mmesa005

The following users liked this post:
mmesa005 (11-17-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 09:03 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

How old are the plugs? Plug wires? Coil? Battery cables might look good but are known to crack due to age and well vibration...

you have to have both spark and fuel to run, it’s either one or the other...

AFORAL (11-19-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 01:46 AM
vonh12
Club Member
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

You said your getting intermittent spark so I'd focus my attention there first. With a bike sitting for a while it may be more than one problem. Could be spark and gas.

AFORAL (11-19-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 12:24 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 796 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by vonh12
You said your getting intermittent spark so I'd focus my attention there first.
What he said

AFORAL (11-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Bike turns over but won't start.