Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Merchant or Kraus ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 11:11 PM
MMH
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Speed Merchant or Kraus ?

Putting on dual Tokico brakes on my Street Bob. Everyone mentions Speed Merchant caliper mounts. How do the Kraus mounts compare? They are priced about the same.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:14 AM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH
Putting on dual Tokico brakes on my Street Bob. Everyone mentions Speed Merchant caliper mounts. How do the Kraus mounts compare? They are priced about the same.
same stuff same purpose I run speed merchants because they were the only ones who used to make em without having a shop fabricate them. If it were me I’d go with Kraus because most likely the hardware is stainless as opposed to the black hardware speed merchant gives that rust over time

Old 11-17-2018, 04:59 AM
MMH
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynaglide92

same stuff same purpose I run speed merchants because they were the only ones who used to make em without having a shop fabricate them. If it were me I’d go with Kraus because most likely the hardware is stainless as opposed to the black hardware speed merchant gives that rust over time
Seems like Speed Merchant supplies a bunch of spacers to give you a lot of flexibility to make sure the caliper mounts properly. Do you know how Kraus does w/ the spacers?

Edit - never mind, I just saw their hardware kit that must be separately purchased.

Last edited by MMH; 11-17-2018 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:37 AM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH
Seems like Speed Merchant supplies a bunch of spacers to give you a lot of flexibility to make sure the caliper mounts properly. Do you know how Kraus does w/ the spacers?
I have the speed merchant brackets. I would call them washers before spacers but yes they allow you mount your caliper in the right spot. I ended up making my own out of aluminum. Stacked washers just look messy to me. As mentioned the bolts are black oxide coated and they will rust. I never used them. That stuff doesn't belong in an exposed place on a Harley. I sized them up and purchased Ti bolts from probolt.

Just from info supplied on their respective webpages, mainly kraus because I have the speed merchant set, the big difference seems to be in the coating. The speed merchant adapters are powder coated and kraus are anodized. It also looks like you need to buy the mount kit separately for the Kraus. Everything was included with my speed merchant kit.

Here's a few shot. Sorry for the giant size but that's beyond my capability

Black bolts are the supplied ones and the silver are the Ti bolts.

Attachment 619389

Mounted

Speed Merchant or Kraus ?-a7nkmhj.jpg

Last edited by union53; 11-17-2018 at 05:39 AM. Reason: LARGE photos
Old 11-17-2018, 08:43 AM
tcazes
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

i have a speed merchant bracket i need to sell. still looks brand new. if you are interested let me know. i went with the blue bob bracket so that i could run the arlen ness big rotor with my tokiko caliper.