Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low end torque upgrades sprocket?big bore?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 05:00 PM
Nick561400
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Low end torque upgrades sprocket?big bore?

Hey what's going on?
i ride a 2009 street Bob. I just got Andrews cams (,can't remember the model number but my mechanic told me they're good for increasing mid range torque?), Bassani rr3 upswept, Arlen Ness big sucker and got it Dyno tuned.

So the question I'm asking is what's next? I like my cams but id like to get some more torque on my take off. I'm looking into sprocket upgrades but will that off set my cams if I'm playing around with my low end?

Also I was told by my mechanic to start looking into a 107 bore kit, the job isn't cheap and I'm wondering if any of you have had experience with a bigger bore and if it's really worth the 2k in parts and install

I'm open to suggestions outside sprockets and bores. I just don't want to change out my cams I do really like what I get out of them.

Thanks guys

Old 11-17-2018, 05:06 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Without knowing the model of cams you have installed it would be a guess as to need to change them for the 107" to get the performance you want? As for the 107, your mechanic is proposing, there again, what are the components that make up the 107?

Old 11-17-2018, 09:43 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

Sounds like it’s time to find another mechanic...if he can’t tell what’s in there and just suggests a 107 kit without knowing what style of riding you are doing or where you want your rpm range (I guessing here) as he gave you cams not to your liking, I’m thinking $$ is what they are after.

first step in any performance upgrade should be why and what you want to accomplish...do you need the power down low for out the gate starts or roll on power, or do you want it in a higher range for say passing cars etc.

Different set ups do different things....

If it’s just to live’n it up what you have now should be good...except for the cams and where the rpm range is. Going from there I would do head work next, long before going to a bigger displacement.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:49 PM
Nick561400
Cruiser

Originally Posted by crusader1xxx
Sounds like it’s time to find another mechanic...if he can’t tell what’s in there and just suggests a 107 kit without knowing what style of riding you are doing or where you want your rpm range (I guessing here) as he gave you cams not to your liking, I’m thinking $$ is what they are after.

first step in any performance upgrade should be why and what you want to accomplish...do you need the power down low for out the gate starts or roll on power, or do you want it in a higher range for say passing cars etc.

Different set ups do different things....

If it’s just to live’n it up what you have now should be good...except for the cams and where the rpm range is. Going from there I would do head work next, long before going to a bigger displacement.
Oh no I wanted "roll off power" but since I've been riding after the cams I've decided I want to increase my take off.

I'll definitely look into head work though, any suggestions?

Old 11-17-2018, 09:55 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Head work won't give you more torque, big bore will. Head work will help mid to high rpms.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:08 PM
Nick561400
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fxdlx
Head work won't give you more torque, big bore will. Head work will help mid to high rpms.
Ya I'm looking to increase the take off, but trying to keep what I have on my mid range. I think the cams are545 I peoproba should know this **** lol

Old 11-17-2018, 10:11 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Increase the compression and you'll have more fun too.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:24 AM
Shop rag
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I would look into a 30T drive pulley no matter what else you decide with the motor. It will help shorten up your shifts and help get you to the power band quicker. Personally, I would leave the rear pulley alone until you see if the 30T pulley helps you out and you can keep your stock belt. Might even want to consider getting rid of the compensator while your in the primary and going direct drive. To save you from having to replace the compensator in the future. You have a tuner/software on the bike?

Then consider a larger bore that will compliment your cams or better yet pick cams for your big bore of choice, I'm strongly considering a 107 build for my bike. It's about good components that are setup for your goals and riding style. I want torque over HP but reliability has to be first. 0-80 mph and under 5500 rpm is where I want all my power because that's my riding style. Side note: Good components won't be cheap.

The following 2 users liked this post by Shop rag:
Chicago Ken (11-23-2018), PWMORRIS (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 10:31 AM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

I would leave the engine as it and convert to a proper chain drive and have a gear ratio with more pull

The following users liked this post:
PWMORRIS (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 11:47 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 727 Likes on 559 Posts

There are really two things you can do, change your final drive and increase compression. The final drive I'd suggest going to the 30T front pulley pulley and you could go to a 68T or 70T rear pulley. You shift faster but you get more low end torque. To up compression you can do four things, go to a big bore, put in a .030 head gasket in, mill the heads, and/or put in a cam advance key. A 107 big bore with flat top pistons will get you another .26 in compression, 3cc domes will add .66, and 6cc domes will add .95. The .030 head gasket on a 103 will add 0.25 compression (.26 on a 107). Milling the heads to a certain cylinder head volume just depends on what you can get it to without having your valves knock on the pistons (can get up to another .82 compression) and the cam advance key will get you about another .14 compression. It all depends on what cam you have in the bike, what you want to get out of the work, and what compression works best for the first two considerations.
I'm guessing that if you got an Andrews cam and are finding not enough low end torque you got either a 37 or a 57. Those like around 10:1 compression for aggressive riding and around 9.5 for highway touring. Either way I'd do the final drive work first and see how you like that. It doesn't require engine work so you don't end up taking it apart more than once if you can't get the engine work all done at once. If it gets you close then just the cam advance key after that. If you want a lot more do one of these.
If you only want some more grab on the low end and do mostly highway riding and want good mpg then do the final drive, the .030 gasket, and have the heads cleaned up with the combustion chambers measured then mill them to measure 84 cc. That'll get you to 9.49:1
If you want the 10:1 aggressive riding that drinks gas, then I'd do the 107 big bore with 3cc domed pistons, the final drive, the 0.030 gasket, and have the heads cleaned up with the combustion chambers measured then mill them to measure 86 cc. That'll get you to 10:1

I only put the milling in both columns because most chambers actually measure around 88 cc instead of 86 and are not always the same, as they should be.

Last edited by Jay Guild; 11-19-2018 at 11:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jay Guild:
Dyna100 (11-19-2018), PWMORRIS (11-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Low end torque upgrades sprocket?big bore?